G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

How fast is the G compared to racers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 06:07 PM
Location: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How fast is the G compared to racers?

RX,
Ref your torque Q,
RX-8 has about 60% of the max torque of the G (159 v 270 if memory serves), and it arrives quite late, in comparison. Area under the curve (usable bottom end rpm to redline) would be worse- less than half. As you stated, with a peaky engine, you really need to work to keep it on a boil, and yikes! What the mags have put the RX-8 thru to get times- Revving to 7 grand, then dropping the clutch and saying farewell to the not-so-cheap tires in a puff of blue smoke. Once launched of course, the RX being 450 lbs lighter than the G, takes off like a banshee.
As for MT v AT in the Gs, more speeds are better (to a point)because you can have the engine in the sweet spot faster and more, as you accelerate, and at more speed points when in cruise. This is one of the reasons that CVTs (continuously variable transmissions) continue to be the holy grail of power management. That said, I'm surprised to a small extent that Nissan chose to gear the six speed such that, so close to 60 mph and 100 mph (58 and 98 to be exact), another shift is called for. The manual has two really inopportune times to make an extra shift. The AT, being a 5 speed, gets to both before needing that extra shift.
Hey RX- Please no offense here, I mean this as help, but I just read that Mazda (Canada) has had to downgrade the advertised HP figure for the RX-8 (to 237 I think), and as a result, they will take back the car no q's asked, OR they will give you 500 cash back and free maintenance thru the warrantee period- no kidding. I don't know where you live, but it might be worth checking into. My buddy just cancelled his order (not because of this, actually he just bought a house, but he got his deposit back with less hassle as a result)

Cheers,
Derek

DB

Old 09-21-2003, 07:32 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

RX,
Ref your torque Q,
RX-8 has about 60% of the max torque of the G (159 v 270 if memory serves), and it arrives quite late, in comparison. Area under the curve (usable bottom end rpm to redline) would be worse- less than half. As you stated, with a peaky engine, you really need to work to keep it on a boil, and yikes! What the mags have put the RX-8 thru to get times- Revving to 7 grand, then dropping the clutch and saying farewell to the not-so-cheap tires in a puff of blue smoke. Once launched of course, the RX being 450 lbs lighter than the G, takes off like a banshee.
As for MT v AT in the Gs, more speeds are better (to a point)because you can have the engine in the sweet spot faster and more, as you accelerate, and at more speed points when in cruise. This is one of the reasons that CVTs (continuously variable transmissions) continue to be the holy grail of power management. That said, I'm surprised to a small extent that Nissan chose to gear the six speed such that, so close to 60 mph and 100 mph (58 and 98 to be exact), another shift is called for. The manual has two really inopportune times to make an extra shift. The AT, being a 5 speed, gets to both before needing that extra shift.
Hey RX- Please no offense here, I mean this as help, but I just read that Mazda (Canada) has had to downgrade the advertised HP figure for the RX-8 (to 237 I think), and as a result, they will take back the car no q's asked, OR they will give you 500 cash back and free maintenance thru the warrantee period- no kidding. I don't know where you live, but it might be worth checking into. My buddy just cancelled his order (not because of this, actually he just bought a house, but he got his deposit back with less hassle as a result)

Cheers,
Derek

DB

<hr></blockquote>

Derek, absolutely no offense taken. I have an RX8, and I'll be getting the $500 debit card + free std scheduled maintenance.
I am aware of the HP downgrade, and been thinking a lot about it. My wife and I came to the conclussion that the car is worth it. I do know that there are a LOT of better performing cars out there. But the 8 fit the bill (its price is slightly more agressive than Infiniti's -obviously its not a luxury car, and offers a few more amenities than the Z.)

On the other hand, Im sure that the G (sedan or Coupe) ARE far better suited for everyday driving given their characteristics. However, I am very curious about all this new Rotary engine buzz. I never owned one pesonally, though I heard and know of several guys who literally love it (in NA form at least -haven't heard good things about TT rotaries...aka: kaboom!! effect)

In any case, thank you so much for the insight! Thanks for being polite! - I've had some nasty experiences around forums with people dislinking my car to an extreme...and me.

Then in addition to your reference to mag times: The best I've seen the 8 quoted is 5.9sec 0-60mph w/a 8K rpm clutch drop. I don't care how good the clutch system and rear diff are: they won't live long if you do that for a living!

Trust me on this one: I have plans to keep this car for as long as I can, in hopes of it as a whole to be reliable enough to be maintainable.

About the Nissan (Infiniti's the same??) tranny: what gearing does it have? and what is the final gear diff ratio?

Does the G ask for upshift to 3nd at 58mph?? That would really surprise me, given that the engine has plenty of torque on tap. Is this the case, really?

Thanks once more!

Regards,
Miguel.-

RX-8 V.Red / 6MT

Old 09-21-2003, 08:23 PM

i love the rx-8.. i drooled about the car for 2 years before it came out. and i waited and waited and it never came out so i got my G. andabout a month later it finall came out and i wasbummed at first, but im glad i went with the G now , but I absoluetely LOVE ther rx-8

2003 6MT Laser Red Coupe, Premium, Chrome 18's