G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

How fast is the G compared to racers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How fast is the G compared to racers?

Nice.. Thanx for prooving our theory.... Some people will never learn..

5 wire Grounding kit
350z Pipe / Stillen High-Flow
Crawford on its way!!!
Best 1/4 14.348 @ 98.16

Old 09-17-2003, 02:43 AM

Whats the fastest 1/4 mile 0-60 you guys have seen/done. I saw 13.99 and 5.3

Old 09-17-2003, 07:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You got it. My 2003 cobra was putting down 460 HP at the wheels, and after mods, outhandled my g35. I paid $34,750 in Feb for it. Sure it's not in the same class as the G, but all I was saying was that if you wanted a fast car for around $35, you bought the wrong car. I love my G, but I don't go around talking about how fast it is. Much more luxurious than the Cobra, but not nearly as fast. Another car for that price would be a WRX STI, EVO, 350Z, S2000, Mach 1, all of which are faster that the g35. But no, not as luxurious and well mannered.

'03.5 Brilliant Silver Sedan
Premium, Aero Kit/Package, Sport, Winter
Stillen Air Box, Clear Corners, Alum Pedals<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by khsonic03 on 09/17/03 09:09 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 09-17-2003, 10:57 AM

I almost bought an '03 Cobra instead of the G35 Coupe. Decided on the G35 because I didn't wants to go through the problems that I had with my '00 Lightning (intercooler leak, transmission problem, spark plug blowing out of the head, etc.) and I'm still not convinced that the Ford IRS can handle that much HP... I guess I'll keep the G35 until the '05 Lightning comes out.

Anyway, I agree that the '03 Cobra is absolutely bad *** when it comes to making power. And FWIW, I've seen more than one local dealership advertising them for $30K. Serious bangs for the bucks.

Old 09-17-2003, 12:06 PM

I did the same shopping deal, and drove the 03 Cobra conv. I was so freaky fast off the line it made my eyes bleed. In the end it wasn't enough to compare with everthing else the G had to offer.

03.5 Coupe - Black/Willow, 6MT, Premium, Navi, Aero, Sat

Old 09-17-2003, 01:28 PM

Sure it's not in the same class as the G, but all I was saying was that if you wanted a fast car for around $35, you bought the wrong car.

This is why I asked this question because I think there are varying opinions on whats fast. I'm not taking my G out to the track to get 1/4 mile times and I'm not going to mod it out or remove anything to the lighten the weight. I'm just buying the Infiniti for the perks you get like the loaner car and quality interior. As far as speed my range is 0-100mph. That's it I don't need to go any faster than that. Stuff starts coming up at you pretty fast after 100 mph. I just want a car that looks sweet, doesn't handle like a minivan and I'm not going to get taken off the line by some dude in V8 SUV. The G does all that from what I have read. Yeah the Mustang is faster but it doesn't look at all that great, it's the same one from the last 5 years. Plus I have heard that Mustang's reliability is poor as well as a quick depreciation.

Speed is something I am buying the G for but I'm not expecting it to be the fastest thing on the streets. I'm getting a freaking automatic anyways!

Old 09-17-2003, 03:21 PM

Very good thoughts for a buyer to have...if you want the fastest car out there you might try a new ford that costs over 100k - GT. There are more than speed diffs with the ford vs infiniti comparison...how about one exudes class and tastelful design in a modern car with near perfect balance of handling speed luxury and safety and the other...well lets say its fast and tastelessly styled and old school in many ways. Ford is ford and infiniti is top 5 in inititial quality and #1 in 3 year quality. Don't get me wrong the cobra i drove was fast and pretty well priced, but I never felt safe at speed with the short wheelbase and crappy brakes and the interior was less than comfortable to begin with.

If you want fast, buy a big block hemi and tune it to 900hp..you'll be blowing by cobras vipers and G's w 8 second quarter miles. Cheaper too

Old 09-17-2003, 04:16 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Plus I have heard that Mustang's reliability is poor as well as a quick depreciation.

<hr></blockquote>
Regular Mustangs are the ones that depreciate fast, used ’03 SVT Cobra are selling almost the same as a new Cobra.

Old 09-17-2003, 08:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The whole reason I said anything about the Cobra was because these kids whose mommy's and daddy's bought their cars keep talking about racing and how fast their volvo's, saabs, and G's are. All I am saying is that if you wanted a race car, or even a really fast street car, you bought the wrong car. I agree with you on all of the points about the G. Why do you think I bought one myself? I love my new car. But my Cobra is ALOT faster, and now handles better as well. Sure it's an older body, but that is not what the Cobra is about. It is about *****-to-the-wall performance, and that is exactly what it offers. The G has style, long term integrity, grace, luxury, and decent performance for a good price.

'03.5 Brilliant Silver Sedan
Premium, Aero Kit/Package, Sport, Winter
Stillen Air Box, Clear Corners, Alum Pedals

104946-Redone Cobra Low quality.jpg

Old 09-17-2003, 09:25 PM

Yes I agree about it all Butt... what is the main diff between the Mustang and G35 besides the V8.... The mustang is Sced.. What will happen when the Greddy TT comes out.. With a lil work this V6 will be pushing 400hp also.. There was a 03 Cobra at the track last friday running 13.0 - 13.3 on stock wheeles.. The 350z with the procharger will do the same... So this can be a race car and VERY fast..

I dont like to compare the G to cars that are already SCed or TT cause they are already upgraded motors while the G is N/a.. Make any sence??

5 wire Grounding kit
Crawford on its way!!!
Best 1/4 14.348 @ 98.16

Old 09-17-2003, 09:31 PM
JPJ

No, it doesn't. Just because a car has a turbo or a blower from the factory doesn't mean it's upgraded. It's stock and is warranteed from the factory and Joe's car is just like Tom's car when it leaves the dealer. Stock is stock. If it had nitrous oxide from the factory it still wouldn't matter. Stock is stock!

2003.5 G35 Coupe 6MT
CB/Graphite/Prem/Aero
Clear Corners/Tint
Alum Pedals
Zaino!

Old 09-17-2003, 10:05 PM

hummm. Ok I see how you think.. This how I think take ummm lets say a Lancer.. It has a 2.0 L like 135 hp motor.. We can beat that in reverse.. Now they say lets bring the upgraded EVO 7 to the US.. Now its the Evolution 8 and they add 19.5 pounds of boost... and power goes up to 276 hp.. What the factory did was what a normal race inspired person would do if they wanted there car to be faster.. Now the G35 is N/A 280 hp with no turbo or supercharger.. I agree that "stock" mean how it was made from factory but come on.. This is how i see it.. Maybe its just me... I wouldnt get mad if an EVO beat me I would just imagine what my G would do with 19.5 PSI pushing into the intake manifold besides blow up.......

5 wire Grounding kit
Crawford on its way!!!
Best 1/4 14.348 @ 98.16

Old 09-17-2003, 10:06 PM

Also any engine that comes factory turbocharged or supercharged already has stronger internals then an N/A motor.

So while the stock N/A VQ engine can probably handle up to 450HP with an aftermarket turbo or supercharger reliably without any internal modification, a supercharged Cobra engine or a twin turbocharged Skyline on the other hand can handle 600HP reliably without any internal modification.

Old 09-17-2003, 10:43 PM
JPJ

..........BUT..... the topic is......."How fast is the G compared to other racers?".....not how fast can the G be made when modified or how much modding can the engine take......oh, I could put this on and that on, then add FI and that and then my G is as fast as a GT3. Lingenfelter makes a 700+ hp Escalade and can make 1000+ hp from a twin turbo, bored and stroked Z06. Why the hell not just build a blown hemi and run it on nitro-methane and stuff it into an SRT-4? ANYTHING can be made fast, but the only way to compare factory built cars is how were they equipped/how fast are they in stock trim and what was the purpose of the car. The G35 was built as a GT coupe, not a pure sports car. Do what you want to the car. Make 700hp with turbos or blowers or whatever. We can debate back and forth about the potential of the G or how much can the VQ35 be modded/tweeked but he topic *is* "How fast IS the G compared to racers?"..... NOT "How fast can I make the G?"

The answer is NOT fast enough to hang with true sports cars, muscle cars, or upscale factory super-sedans, BUT, in its intended demographic, the car is quite fast compared to its direct competitors and is quite a value at its price point.

2003.5 G35 Coupe 6MT
CB/Graphite/Prem/Aero
Clear Corners/Tint
Alum Pedals
Zaino!

Old 09-17-2003, 11:14 PM

Yes I know what the topic is.. Notice I was the 1 who said that the Cobra was same price and that is would kill us.. Im debating with you guys that this is and can be a realy fast car for the money.. Thats all..

The mustang (mach) would beat us along with the cobra..
GT would be a drivers race.. The s2000 would lose (friend has 1) RX8 is a joke.. The list on the I think the 1st page was pretty accurate if I remember correctly I dont feel like doing it over..

5 wire Grounding kit
Crawford on its way!!!
Best 1/4 14.348 @ 98.16

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How fast is the G compared to racers?