G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 Engine Break-In , paint and rattles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Engine Break-In , paint and rattles

Hello,

I have just picked up my 2004 Obsidian Black G35 6MT about 2 weeks ago and have been reading all the info on the forums and have to admit it was everyone here who sold me on the car. I didn't want a black car but all the dealer had were 03 silverauomatic G35 coupes but now that I have it I must admit it looks really great when it is clean.

I traded in my 2001 Honda S2000 w hardtop and 19,000 miles for a just off the truck 2004 G35 6MT w 13 miles after dealer PDI. I now hace 790 miles and a question.

Today I got the bug and needed to push the car a bit and took to a little spirited driving and pushed the car pretty hard for about 25 minutes. I was wondering what type of ill effects this could have on the engine. What I mean by that is full throttle onto the highway with tires chirping into 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. And no I didn't speed, I hit 80 mph and then slowed down to 70 mph.I know that the manual says to wait 1200 miles. Any feed back both positive and negative would be appreciated.

The other two matters are the fact that after the dealer detailed the car there were some scratches on the hood and else were. How hard are these surface scratches to get out, the dealer said they should buff right out and has offered me 3 free oil changes and 3 full details for my trouble, what do you guys think.

Lastly, having gone from an 01 S2000 with no rattles to an 04 which is starting already to rattle is making me a bit nervous. Does having 18 verse 16 inch weels make for more rattles?

Other wise I love the car, miss the S2000 a bit but after pushing the G35 today I felt right at home again.

PS .. You guys should check out s2ki.com, it's a great site with some very cool people.

Thanks,

Mike

2004 Obsidian Black G35 Coupe 6MT

Old 09-14-2003, 06:44 PM
Re: G35 Engine Break-In , paint and rattles

i cant give you insight on your other problems, but regarding the break in. at 850 miles on my car, i got tired of waiting and my break in is over. been pushing it hard since

2003 6MT Laser Red Coupe, Premium, Chrome 18's

Old 09-14-2003, 06:46 PM
wow

I just purchased my 04' G35 desert platinum, coupe 6 speed, last monday the 9/8/03....and i know that if u push the car hard before break in, u can loose some horsepower, and shorten the life of ur engine!! so if i were u take it easy on the car... wait till ur 1st oil change to be safe... i am! ; ) oh yea i got 280 miles on my car right now, and anxioulsy awaiting break in...but how many miles did u have on ur car, when u smashed on it??? good luck
PS yes my car rattles when i drive over a crappy road, i hear rattling under my steering wheel, on the driver side of the dash...so i hear ya!

Old 09-14-2003, 07:59 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

Mike, you should be fine. Most modern engines are broken-in at the factory, PRIOR to being dropped into the engine bay. The car comes with regular motor oil, as opposed to break-in oil that some manufacturers use.

So even though you pushed it somewhat hard, do not worry, just dont push it too hard for a few more miles, end result...it will have been well worth the wait.

Personally, i waited until 1200 miles to push it to redline under WOT...and at 1500 miles i switched to synthetic oil.

Check out our FAQ section for 'detailing tips by Brad' to get out those nasty scratches and swirls.

Oh and welcome to the club [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust

Old 09-14-2003, 09:31 PM

Drive the car like you normally would because the car breaks in to the way you drive. So if your gonna drive it hard, break it in hard. Just don't go over 4 grand too often, other than that you should be fine. Just change the oil after your break in

Old 09-14-2003, 10:26 PM

My infiniti dealer told me not go over 3k rpm....is this true?? cuz when i merge into traffic, i am very limited on how fast i can accelerate w/ out passing 3000 rpm.... so i am driving very slow..... and another question is.... is there a possibilty with "under'' breaking in a car...like not pushin it enough??...thanks

Old 09-14-2003, 10:34 PM

no u can not under break in a engine. for the frist 1200 miles do not go more then 100 mph and do not go over 4 k rpm. if u go over 4 k rpm once in a while its not a big deal but dont do it like every day. i waited till 800 miles to go over 4k rpm. i went to 5 and half and then i didnt do that agina to 100 miles at wich point i took it up to redline once or twice then after my 1400 mile i began to run the car hard. Its a personal thing its up to u most people say the engine is already broken in and i tend to agree but i felt its better to be safe then sorry.

Old 09-14-2003, 10:46 PM
JPJ

I broke my car in according to the manual. I do know several mechanically knowledgable people who drive their car(s) (not the G35, mind you) hard as soon as they took delivery. For me, it's not that you are going to do much (if any) damage to the engine, but you are breaking in more than just the engine. The clutch (or torque converter), transmission, and differential all will wear-in some. I decided since this was/is my first new car that its first 1-2% of its time with me (plan on keeping the car for 4 or 5 years) that taking my time getting used to it and letting it break/wear in easily was not that big of a deal. I did change the oil at ~1300 miles and I also didn't just beat it immediately afterwards -- I still haven't really beat on it, but plan to do some relatively hard driving next weekend.

2003.5 G35 Coupe 6MT
CB/Graphite/Prem/Aero
Clear Corners/Tint
Alum Pedals
Zaino!

103325-smallg35.JPG

Old 09-14-2003, 11:28 PM

Since the dealer beat it into my head do not exceed over 3000 rpm...i get scared when i even get near that...for example today i did a lot of driving, i put about 50 miles on my car today....i just need some reasurance that this will not mess up the engine in any way...BTW i havent passed 3300 rpms....the only time i passed 3000 was when a stupid friend of mine, got in my car and started reving up my enigne...to 3500 and i almost passed out....i wanted to lay the smack down...but he didnt know any better....so its safe to shift between 3k to 4k rpms??

Old 09-14-2003, 11:47 PM
JPJ

It is my understanding that you're supposed to keep it under 4k. Don't worry even if you rev it past 4k you won't be doing any damage. Just don't peg it or run it for any extended period at high rpms. Also, don't run the car for extended periods at the same RPM. I didn't even engage the cruise control until after the car was broke in.

2003.5 G35 Coupe 6MT
CB/Graphite/Prem/Aero
Clear Corners/Tint
Alum Pedals
Zaino!

Old 09-15-2003, 12:51 AM

Thanks a lot!! and knowing is half the battle!!! (^_^)

Old 09-15-2003, 12:57 AM

I doubt you'd hurt anything.. Some of those recommendations are about heat, like driving 80 for an extended period.. not so good for the wheel bearings. The high revs are not so good for the tranny until broken in.

The Maxima and PF has had the VQ35 for quite some time. The worst you could do is end up with an engine that uses (not burns) alittle more oil than others. I've never read of any breakin (or lack of) issues.

You guys should know that you make the most HP at 5K miles. VQs can take up to 10K to settle in. Its a tough engine, I wouldnt worry about merging and what not.. but I certainly wouldnt take the car to the track until 1K+.

----------------------------------------------------
bs g35c lth/prem - a poser with no lsd

Old 09-15-2003, 01:16 AM

i honestly feel the same way you do. I took the car easy for about 600 miles and now im having fun with it. and IF i get problems later, so be it, i got a warranty. anyways im ona lease

2003 6MT Laser Red Coupe, Premium, Chrome 18's

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Engine Break-In , paint and rattles