G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Uncomfortable drivers seat!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 01:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Uncomfortable drivers seat!!!

Hello Fakk2. I would highly recommend that you rent one for a week and drive several long periods in it before purchasing. You may not be affected by this problem and otherwise, the G35sedan is a blast to drive. If you do find out the seats hurt you, then the rental was worth it to avoid the problems we are having.

Here is an update from me. Several months ago I had the center metal brackets removed, leaving the two end posts that the controls are attached to. This has helped some, but the seat still causes me pain on all longer drives and even on some short trips. I am undecided as to my next move. I may take her back to my seat guy and totally remove all the mounting brackets and completely move the controls, or I may sell or trade the G35 in. The main problem on selling, beyond the loss, is that there is really nothing else in this price range that works for me. Just not sure yet which way to go. : (

Old 07-08-2004, 09:53 AM

I kept after ICA until I got a letter stating that the seat was examined by the service manager and was exactly as it was designed, they said no further action will be taken on their part. I took it down to the car seat upholsterer and had him remove the brackets and add padding in the bottom back. Big improvement in seat comfort, although my leg still hurts a little from before it was fixed. Think the pain is going away slowly. I wrote a letter to Road and Track, I'll probably give the Attorney General's office a call too, maybe they can send a letter to put more heat on Infiniti. It is a shame, I sure like the rest of the car.

04 G35 Sedan DG-G 6MT

Old 07-08-2004, 10:30 AM

I'm 52 and have had back and leg pain for 30 years. The only comfortable car I ever had was an 80 Olds Omega, believe it or not. recently I found a trick that virtually ends my dirving pains. I got a tempurpedic foam pillow at the Brookstone store and put it at my lower back. It sort of fills in the hollow between the seat back and seat bottom. It conforms to the back. For me it has been like a miracle. I think the pillow I got was designed for office chairs. I recall it had a plastic piece to help it stand up, but you won't want that part for the car. It cost about a hundred dollars, which isn't cheap for a piece of foam, but it really works wonders for me, and I've tried everything under the sun. This works in every car I drive. I used to only be able to drive for :45 minutes before I started getting back and leg pain. Now I can go for hours and hours. Hope this is helpful to you. I feel your pain.

Old 07-08-2004, 05:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im goign to the junkyard to try to find a totalled coupe and rip the driver seat out to replace my stock seat. i hope it fits.

G35s6mt/TSecu/350Z Springs&Struts/K&Nfilter+Z-tube/StillenDualExhaust /6WireGroundKit/KinetixHighFlow

Old 07-08-2004, 09:25 PM

GeeSpot:

Hi,

I was able drive one for 45 minutes today......... everything great except the wind noise and the seat. after about 20 minutes my right leg went totally numb. my wife who quite abit shorter had the same problem. when I brought this up to the salesman he was not aware of anyone haviing this problem. I am over 6'7" and my wife is around 5'8.25" we liked eveything about the G35x but the seats and wind noise.
we then left and drove a IS300 SportDesign ).050 and a SportCross (05). at this point we are thinking of buying both. (kinda his and her's set).

Thanks

PROTECT ME FROM THE THINGS I WANT

Old 07-08-2004, 10:48 PM
fnt

Fakk2,

If you can wait a few months, it may be worthwhile to see if the '05 seats are any different. If you had pain and/or numbness from the test drive and you want a car now, however, you might be happier with something else.

(If you decide against the G for this reason, please let the dealer and Infiniti Consumer Affairs know why, and point them here.)

Old 07-09-2004, 12:44 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Don't hold your breath waiting for the '05 to change the seats.
Everything I've seen so far indicates that the controls remain in the same location, just lowered a little.
I've been talking to a custom interior guy I know, about relocating the contols out of the seat. After I talk to him I'll work up some PS pics of what I'm planning.

<font color=blue>04 Silverstone G35, 5AT, Prem, Aero
ES100 225/45-18 front 245/40-18 rear
Borla TD, Z-tube, Eibach, 35%Tints</font color=blue>

Old 07-09-2004, 01:54 PM

Hi Everyone:

Just wondering if anyone has seem the new M45??? as I work for one of the "big three" I'm able to go to most of the new car shows. I saw the M45 "concept car. and if I remember right the seats looked close to the ones in the G35.
I have talked to the sales manager about the seating problem.
he does know about the seating problem but doesn.t know what is being done about it.
I will send emails to the dealer and Infinity Consumer Affairs regrading our problems

Thanks

PROTECT ME FROM THE THINGS I WANT

Old 07-15-2004, 04:42 PM

Does anyone have any uncomfort with left leg toward the front of the seat? Also, while sitting in the passanger sear of my G, I always wonder how come it's much more comfortable that the driver's seat. As much as I enjoy this car, this is issues is really getting to me. For all of you out there who do not have this issue and call the rest of us whiners, go read another thread.

Old 07-17-2004, 10:32 PM

That's because passenger seat has only two switches. Support for 2 tilt switches is what's killing most of us. I was thinking is that will be possible to take just those two and relocate them on the center console. It has so much unused space.

I decided to revive this thread because by this time it is clear Infiniti wouldn't do anything about it. Can people who chose to upgrade to another seat post more info about it with links possibly.

And those who modified stock ones post results after substantial period of time driving.

Thank you,

I'm on the virge of ordering oem recaro for golf gti with airbag and heater for $1400 plus custom fitting.

***04 G35s 5AT/Sport***
***04 Volvo XC90 T6***

Old 07-18-2004, 11:11 AM
fnt

"Everything I've seen so far indicates that the controls remain in the same location, just lowered a little."

That's also been my impression, but a bit of lowering might make a significant difference, at least in my case.

Old 07-19-2004, 08:05 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

"but a bit of lowering might make a significant difference, at least in my case."
------------
Yes there may be some benifit from lowering the controls, but IMO this is still a half a$$ed compromise.
I think that the main problem lies with Infiniti marketing.
I think they see this seat control as some unique branding thing for Infiniti, and are reluctant to abandone it.

<font color=blue>04 Silverstone G35, 5AT, Prem, Aero
ES100 225/45-18 front 245/40-18 rear
Borla TD, Z-tube, Eibach, 35%Tints</font color=blue>

Old 07-19-2004, 10:31 AM

It has been 4 months since I took out the driver's seat of my 2004 G35 sedan 6MT and cut out the bracket and bent the seat control brackets down and out. The right leg/lateral thigh pain has been completely relieved. After getting back from a 1200 mile road trip over the 4th of July weekend I did begin to notice the right hip pain that others have described. Once again I removed the seat and this time put a piece of 3" foam at the bottom of the seat frame (I know this sounds like alot put it really compresses down quite a bit). Later that week we had another 250 mile road trip and I have no complaints. Honestly, I think we will be working on these seats several more times over the course of ownership. Good luck everyone.

Old 07-20-2004, 05:29 PM

That's exactly why I think lowering it is not a solution. I really liked the idea of just hanging pod of controls, but the stock one isn't too estetic for that.
I'm going to go further and design seat control relocation mod that will be very functional and estetic. Think flexible computer keyboard mountable on any surface of your liking. Only with 8 buttons.

Can anybody provide me with FSM section dealing with seat control harness PLS. 50% discount on future product

At this point I'm willing to invest time into that because my other option is $1700 new seat with labor or trading the car which apart from the seat problem I adore.

***04 G35s 5AT/Sport***
***04 Volvo XC90 T6***

Old 07-20-2004, 07:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i find the seats comfortable, I am 6'4" 250# and I have driven 36,000 miles in 14 months.

I had a loaner the last week, it was an auto tranny. I put 1500 miles on it and had no problems. I sit with my seat all the way down (both height adjustments at max low, all the way back (fore and rear), and the back straight up.

If you find a way to adjust these controls, if you can adjust the seat lower, let me know. I still brush the roof liner with my hair as it is.

Better Life thru Chemistry
Black on Black 03.5 Sedan 6MT - Goodyear F1 GS-D3's 225/55/17, Custom Intake Tube, '03 "Z" Suspension, Magnaflow resonator, 6 Wire 4 Guage Grounding Kit

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Uncomfortable drivers seat!!!