G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Uncomfortable drivers seat!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Uncomfortable drivers seat!!!

started to notice some discomfort in my right hip and thigh on trips over about an hour. i have always thought that keeping the front edge of the seat up high would give more thigh support. but on these seats it is just the opposite and apparently gives too much support which causes the discomfort.

so i have dropped the front lip of the seat way down and raised the back edge of the seat up. then removed wallet from right rear pocket on longer trips. the discomfort is gone and i actually like the driving position better because i sit higher up in the car. this may not help everyone or anyone but just thought i'd pass it along in case it does.

04 6MT sedan, black/willow

Old 08-18-2004, 09:53 AM

I also have the front part of the seat as low as possible. It helps me. The wallet should always be removed from your back pocket. Unless by chance you have a wallet in each of your back pockets, both of the same size! j/k

ETicketRide
2003 G35 Sedan/Ivory Pearl/Willow Premium/Sport/Tint

Old 08-18-2004, 04:05 PM

Hi all –
I happened to come upon this long thread and truly feel for everyone having this problem. Unfortunately, however, it does not surprise me. Following in quotes is my post on the Edmunds G35 forum (June 2002: #5765 of 8624) >> of which I was subsequently flamed as an idiot who didn’t deserve a G35. I am fortunate to have noticed this early in my test drive….I hope all of you get the justice from Infiniti you deserve. My thoughts are with you. (P.S. How in the world can C&D, Motor Trend, Automobile,…et al…miss this huge issue and continue to not report on it??) >>
“First things first, the G35 is an awesome vehicle in every respect. Clearly, it has rocked the premier sport sedan automotive world.
Two weeks ago, I visited a dealer in the Atlanta area fully prepared to buy, but did not, for one reason. I found the drivers seat to be extremely uncomfortable with the seat controls situated on the right, pushing the stiff bolster into the thigh. I tried various configurations and was only able to make it marginally better. I am not that large (5'8 160 lbs.), so I could not attribute the problem to that. I had seen this issue referenced in the Detroit News review, but am surprised it has not brought up more often. Motor Trend (or C&D) referenced it only with respect to its susceptibility to drink spills. Unfortunately, I am going to hold off to see if the seat controls will be placed in a more standard position for 2004. It will be tough to wait, as I drool over every G I am seeing in traffic, but I just could not justify buying one now, due to that seat.”

Old 08-22-2004, 02:21 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's possible, and most likely probable, that given the % of people who actually experience this problem, that MT, C&D, etc. didn't even notice it at all. It seems like it's a hit-or-miss problem, and for most people it's "miss".

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35s
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / XM / Tint
<font color=blue>Z-tube, Pop-charger, Borla True-Dual Exhaust, Eibach Pro Kit, GroundingGear</font color=blue>

Old 09-19-2004, 08:26 PM

I was thinking of going to my local dealer and seeing if they would swing a deal on remaining 04's. Now, I will be sure to "focus" on the seat comfort issue. I am a larger guy, so one concern I have going into my consideration of the G, is the size. Comparing specs, there may be a hair less room than in my 2k2 Maxima. Now I'm a bit more worried about going the G35 route

Old 09-19-2004, 09:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, if you go with the attitude the seat isn't comfortable, it won't be, don't let these people sway you to believing it is uncomfortable!

Brilliant Silver/Graphite/Chrome Wheels '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 09-21-2004, 02:30 AM

It is not a belief ABQ, for some of us it is a reality. A sucky reality, but a reality nonetheless. People should go into this with their eyes open - if the seat works for them - Excellent! They will have a great car they can truly enjoy. If the seat causes them pain - better to figure that out BEFORE dropping $30,000 + and then facing the choice of suffering physical pain on a daily basis OR eating several thousands of dollars loss on trade-in or sale to get into a car with more comfortable seats. Information is a good thing.

Old 09-21-2004, 08:23 PM

the moster thread is back!
Yes I find the seat painful at times, but my wife doesn't and it is her car.

2004 Sedan -- 3M Clear Bra - Bought on eBay and DIY -- Rocky Mounts bike racks!

Old 09-21-2004, 08:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's my point GeeSpot, go in with their eyes open, the power of suggestion can create problems that are not really there, right after I bought my G last October, I saw this thread, and kept expecting the seat to be uncomfortable, even found myself looking for it, trying to see how it could be uncomfortable. I am not saying you aren't having a problem with the comfort of the seat, I'm sorry that you are!

Brilliant Silver/Graphite/Chrome Wheels '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 09-28-2004, 02:37 PM
"G" Spot

has there been any updates to this matter. Anyone hear anything new from Infiniti or their stealership.
I was also wondering if anyone has contacted an attorney yet.
The reason I ask is that I spoke to a friend of mine that's a nurse, and she said that contiuned exposure to this could possibly cause damage of some kind to your leg.

So with that I am hoping to see if anything will get done, I definitely don't want anything damage to my leg, don't know about you all.

I say a big petition write up from every member here and send it to Infiniti via email and snail mail. I plan on calling ICA everyday until something comes of it.

Thanks
mike

2004 G35 sedan. Silver/graphite, Premium, sport, aero package. Z-tube, K&N

Old 09-29-2004, 07:17 AM
fnt

If the symptoms are related to a neuropathy (because of pressure on a nerve), then it is possible that permanent damage could occur over time. Proving that might be difficult, however.

I'm surprised that Infiniti didn't change the seat-control design for the '05 models, though. It's not as if they don't know that there's a problem - after all, they even issued a TSB for it.

Old 09-29-2004, 07:21 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

If you look at the interior pics closely, it looks like they did a minor modification.
It looks like they have lowered the control unit,
and the seat cushion is a diffferent design.

<font color=blue>04 Silverstone G35, 5AT, Prem, Aero
ES100 225/45-18 front 245/40-18 rear
HKS & Y-pipe, Z-tube, Eibach, 35%Tints</font color=blue>

Old 09-29-2004, 07:11 PM
"G" Spot

Sound familiar:
" After speaking with mgrs. and techs, it has come to our conclusion that the seat is perfoming as designed, therefore Infiniti will not be taking any action"
BULLS**T. If it was performing as designed I wouldn't be calling you.
Oh well, the dealer pretty much said the same thing, we can't help we dont' have any bulletins to work on it.

I filed two complaints with the BBB, maybe something will come of that.

Until then, I guess I will be saving up my money on rebuilding my seat cushion with my upholstery guy.

Venting over.
mike

Old 09-30-2004, 06:36 PM

I guess I'll add my experience here in case it helps anyone else:

I was getting thigh pain even on some short (<20 minute) drives. I moved the seat back about an inch and haven't had a single pain since then. I think it forces my right leg to stretch and straighten, moving it away from the controls.

Old 10-01-2004, 08:22 AM
"G" Spot

Ya..i tried moving every which way possible in my seat. I spent last weekend, driving and adjusting my seat at the same time, with no luck.
Oh well....I guess it's to the upholsterer for me.

thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Uncomfortable drivers seat!!!