G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Uncomfortable drivers seat!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Uncomfortable drivers seat!!!

Gashed, if that is truly your problem, you may find a simple solution by cutting to fit and placing a nice thick piece of felt on top of the seat springs but under the center part of the seating foam. An old highschool friend rebuilds worn out car seats and the first thing he always does is cut and place a nice thick piece of felt over the seat springs. If you will look at the bottom of the foam seat padding you will likely see where it has been sinking down over/into the springs. If that doesn't raise it enough, then you can use marks trick of placing more foam just in the center part of the seat to raise you up some more. Good luck!

Old 05-04-2004, 02:44 PM

cwmizner ()
04/19/04 02:02 PM

what is so ironic is the M45 seat, they KNOW it's an issue and 'fixed' it in the next M45, there is no good reason why they shouldn't make a TSB to lower the G35 controls. They have to take the seat out anyway for the existing TSB, so it wouldn't take them that much longer.

WEAK...

I didn't think the new M had improved seats. What has changed?

Funny that when I replied this thread was right below the new thread asking who LIKES the seat. I can't imagine that thread getting as long as ours.

Has anyone considered installing an aftermarket/performance seat? Maybe this is the route we should go, if things do not change in 2005 or if Infiniti does not step up. Not fair that we should have to pay for a new seat, but may be worth saving the pain.

[i]<font color=red>BoneDaddy
2003.5 Garnet Fire, Premium, Aero, Sport & Debadged

Old 05-04-2004, 05:25 PM

Had the TSB for the seat applied, helped the pain somewhat, but still have a throbbing pain in my right buttock, The service manager is trying to be nice, I faxed him info off of this forum, but he still is going through the normal channels, I was hoping to expedite this process, but to no avail.

04 G35 Sedan DG-G 6MT

Old 05-04-2004, 09:44 PM

I think the problem has two parts, let me explain. I am the one who has posted many times and shown pictures of the various attempts I have made to alleviate the pain problem. I can tell you that when I moved the seat control downwards and inserted the foam all of my pain was gone, 100%. I was very happy and proud of my accomplishment, until about two weeks ago. Today, I do not have any pain where I once did by the seat control as the seat control was lowered. The pain I now have is what you describe, it seems to be where the bolster begins as the seat sinks very deeply and creates a hard ridge. This is the first time that I have ever noticed the pain in my upper hip region, I suppose it was masked by the extreme pain I had encountered due to the seat control. My theory - the reason that I am now experiencing this is based on the fact that the foam I inserted is now breaking down. The junction between the seat top and the bolster is once again prominent. The pain at this point is quite manageable and does not cause throbbing pain, like I once experienced. However; I expect it will get worse as time progresses. I foresee that the seat will once again be coming out for the third time for another modification. This is so frustrating.

Old 05-05-2004, 01:46 AM

Mark - the guy I know who rebuilds seats says first thing he does in a new car he buys is take the seat apart and put a nice thick cut-to-shape piece of felt on top of the springs before replacing the original foam. He says this stops the seat cushion foam from sinking down into the springs and makes the seat last much longer. Maybe this would help in your case too. I hope so.

Old 05-06-2004, 06:27 PM

"Here is where it gets interesting. The bracket in my 2004.5 coupe is not the same as the ones you guys have shown here. My bracket looks smaller and the attachment posts are different, not to mention more out of the way. I am going to try and attach pics, let's hope this works...

But the question begs to be asked, did Infiniti change the design and leave some of you guys hanging?- Gashed"

Gashed, the coupe has fewer power adjustments than the premium sedan so the control bracket is much shorter for you.

Old 05-06-2004, 07:27 PM

Looks like I'll be going the route of moving the seat controls. After going around and around with my dealership and Infiniti they made it very clear that they would do nothing further to correct my seat problems beyond the TSB. After getting the TSB done the edgy pain of the controls is gone, but my right leg/foot are still numb after the 20+ mile ride into work.

The unfortunate thing is that beyond the seat controls I love every other part of the car. As of right now, until Nissan steps up to the plate and fixes the seat they have lost a long-time, loyal customer. This is my fourth Nissan and was looking at the FX35 for my wife when her Altima lease is up, but not anymore. The cost of them fixing my seat and the others experiencing the pain would cost much less than the losses they'll experience by losing repeat customers. Such is life, though.

Looks like it's time to start sending letters to the car mag's about Infiniti's "excellent customer service". Yeah, right!

Old 05-07-2004, 05:11 PM

After putting even more miles, I can now say that my seat is fine. The fix from the aircraft shop (lowering the bracket) made it so that I certainly do not feel the bracket. The extra foam they put in to raise me up has softened a bit and now the seat feels fine. It's still not the most comfortable seat I've driven in, but I have little to complain about. The only thing I can bitch about now is the two hard spots in the seat where three pieces of leather come together. Wasn't the smartest design. Anyway, I'm happy enough that I plan to keep my baby. Assuming the brakes hold up I hope to give it to my son in 10 years.

Old 05-13-2004, 10:52 AM

I don't think your gonna get 10 years outta those brakes man! ; )

I just got back from my seat guy. He cut the center braket out much like g35mark did in his first fix attempt, removed the plastic guard, and then replaced the extra padding Infiniti had put in the bolster with some softer foam that he uses. We also bent the two remaining posts toward the console some more. It is an immediate improvement. I will have to drive it a while before I can say how much. I am going to take this thing in stages, trying the least radical stuff first and then trying more involved stuff only if needed. Thanks to g35mark for blazing the trail.

Old 05-13-2004, 12:21 PM

Hey GeeSpot, where are you located??

ETicketRide
2003 G35 Sedan/Ivory Pearl/Willow Premium/Sport/Tint

Old 05-13-2004, 06:17 PM

Cabarrus county, N.C. Not too far from Charlotte. How about you eticket?

Old 05-14-2004, 12:56 AM

I'm in San Diego, CA. About a 3 hour drive to that place in Camarillo. So if the seat becomes a bother, I can take it there. Have a great weekend!

ETicketRide
2003 G35 Sedan/Ivory Pearl/Willow Premium/Sport/Tint

Old 05-14-2004, 10:22 PM
fnt

"I just got back from my seat guy. He cut the center braket out much like g35mark did in his first fix attempt, removed the plastic guard, and then replaced the extra padding Infiniti had put in the bolster with some softer foam that he uses. We also bent the two remaining posts toward the console some more. It is an immediate improvement. I will have to drive it a while before I can say how much. I am going to take this thing in stages, trying the least radical stuff first and then trying more involved stuff only if needed. Thanks to g35mark for blazing the trail."

Roughly how much did the work set you back? I'm beginning to think that this is the only solution, since it doesn't look like Infiniti's going to come through.

It's really odd. Some days I notice nothing. On other days, the seat drives me nuts. It has nothing to do with how long I drive, either.

Even when it's not bothering me, though, I immediately notice a difference when I go around a bend to the right because it takes the pressure off for a few seconds.

Old 05-15-2004, 12:56 AM

Franklin, the guy did it in about 45 minutes and charged me exactly $25. I am not sure this is going to be my final answer. It is immediately noticeably better, but the right bolster still puts more pressure on my hip and thigh than the left one. I may wind up having him pull the seat again and move the controls completely. This guy has been rebuilding seats and doing other auto upholstery for 28 years. He says he can cut leather to match and make me a bolster on the right that will be identical to the one one the left. All that will remain is to decide where to move the controls. I have a beach trip next week (3.5 to 4 hr. drive) and that will be a good indicator of how much improvement we actually achieved. I will keep you guys posted.

Old 05-15-2004, 08:43 AM

Hey GeeSpot. That's what I've been trying to figure out. I have been considering using the seat control from an Altima and putting it on the side between the seat and door. Since there's little room in that spot I was going to have them recessed into the seat in some sort of tray. I was hoping that the connections would be similar between the two control clusters.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Uncomfortable drivers seat!!!