G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Uncomfortable drivers seat!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Uncomfortable drivers seat!!!

TWG35 and G35Mark.....Thanks for your posts. I am very pleased that you have found relief!! : ) If infiniti doesn't get on the ball I may have to try your mods as I don't think they would hinder the later sale of the car. It looks excellent Mark. Good work guys! You too Bohemond!

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by GeeSpot on 04/01/04 07:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 04-02-2004, 12:54 PM

OK, here is my update. The service rep called me back and told me that the only "fix" that they have or intend to have is the TSB. There are no further TSBs planed for the seat. In addition, there are NO upcomming model changes planned for the seat (this contradicts what others have said). I did not speak to them directly, they left a voice mail.

ETicketRide
2003 G35 Sedan/Ivory Pearl/Willow Premium/Sport/Tint

Old 04-02-2004, 02:53 PM

More BS from Consumer Affairs.

If the seat does not get redesigned, them we need to pressure Infiniti to perform the above fix at no charge!

[i]<font color=red>BoneDaddy
2003.5 Garnet Fire, Premium, Aero, Sport & Debadged

Old 04-02-2004, 02:56 PM

G35Mark:

Great pics! Thanks!

You said you need to move the controls down another 1/2 to 1 inch as it rubs. Is this possible? How will you do this?

You also said you added some foam around the controls?

Old 04-02-2004, 05:04 PM

Hello Eticket, the first line reps will always tell you that. I told mine that answer wasn't acceptable and she bumped me up to the next level. I am not saying it will absolutely make a difference, but it doesn't help our case to give up at the first level. We have to keep pushing it if we are to get a real solution. I hope you will call back and ask for the next tier on the ladder at ICA. If they see they can just brush us off nothing will get done. Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-02-2004, 07:18 PM

I will have to make short extensions from metal to lower the seat control, no problem if you have a dremel tool and a tap to create 8-32 threads. The foam was purchased online at www.knoxfoam.com. I bought two wedges with the dimensions of L 11 x W 17 x Thickness 1 and L 12 x W 17 x Thickness 2 . I cut the wedges and inserted them as seen in the attached picture. It takes a little bit of patience to align the foam and then replace the seat cover, step back and observe and then finally sit on the seat for about 5 to 10 minute periods to ensure the foam was located properly. Then again, I am a very picky person so this process was probably overkill on my part. See attached pictures for more details. This fix can easily be done by anyone who is handy and has the tools, including a metal tap. It should take between 2 and 4 hours, depending on skill and patience.

220587-seatfoam.jpg

Old 04-02-2004, 10:56 PM

GeeSpot - From my previous post, I did not speak to a person. They left a voice mail. Since then, I called them back. I talked to a rep and voiced my complaint. I didn't feel like going round in circles, plus I was at work. I basically told them that I wish they would revist the seat issue and "step up to the plate" like they did with the brakes. I need an oil change soon. At that time, I will ask the dealer if they will at least bend the brackets towards the center console. Since my problem is a minor discomfort, I believe that a little more width will help. I don't want them to install more padding per the TSB.

I believe that many people voicing their opinion is the best solution. They will eventually listen. Even though this may not affect the majorty of the owners, it is definately a problem that they will address (in addition to the TSB). Let me put it this way...I would say that this is thread probably contains the most posts. I don't know of a complaint that has 21 pages of posts!!! If everyone that has this problem would voice their opinion, they would surely do something. Anyways, I am rambling and we could go on forever....Everyone have a great weekend!

ETicketRide
2003 G35 Sedan/Ivory Pearl/Willow Premium/Sport/Tint

Old 04-03-2004, 12:15 AM

Thanks guy, you have a great weekend too!! Take it from me, the second time they added padding they made the seat MUCH worse!! I wish they woulda told me they were gonna do that and I would have declined it. I know they were just trying to help me though.

Old 04-04-2004, 02:25 PM

I am in the market for a new car, but after reading this thread I will no longer be considering the G35 sedan unless the problem is fixed. I really liked the car but this is just not acceptable, especially since I already have leg circulation problems. The strange part is, the seat in my current G20 is one of the most comfortable I've ever had in a car. I really want to see this problem fixed so I just sent the following email to Infiniti corporate:

"I am in the market for a new car and recently test drove a G35 sedan. I love everything about the car except for one MAJOR problem. Apparently, the bracket for the power seat controls in the driver's seat are positioned such that after a relatively short period of driving, my entire right leg goes numb. I'm not sure if it's cutting off circulation to my leg or pinching a nerve but after about 20 minutes, the car was simply undriveable. Further research on the problem has indicated that I am not the only person who experienced this problem with the G35, not by a long shot. Further, I have discovered that as yet Infiniti has refused to take any action to resolve this problem other than installing an additional piece of foam in the seat, which actually exacerbates the problem by increasing pressure on the leg.

This problem, coupled with Infiniti's refusal to correct a serious design flaw in a $35,000 vehicle is simply unacceptable. Consequently, I have just put a down payment on a 2004 Acura TL, despite the fact that it is an inferior car in most respects. You are losing customers over this seat issue and I hope you continue to do so until such time as you accept responsibility for your mistake and take the appropriate steps to fix the problem."

Old 04-04-2004, 05:29 PM

jb...

I was in the exact same mindset as you. Then I spend about an hour in a G and the seat was ok for me.

Now, don't get me wrong... if I could have Infiniti re-cover some BMW Sport Package seats with Infiniti's leather and transplant them into the G, I'd do it in an instant... and buy the car one instant later!

But the seat was FAR better than the current Ford Contour seat I have now... and I didn't even have a twinge of pain.

So try to sit in one for an extended drive. It might surprise you.

The drive has helped put the G back on my list... the top of it, actually.

But I'm still hoping they get a redesigned seat for 05...

If you're in control, you're not driving fast enough -- Parnelli Jones

Old 04-04-2004, 06:34 PM

I took my friend's G35 coupe out for long time specifically to check for this problem and I was pretty unhappy with the results, and I noticed the same thing in the sedan I test drove at the dealer. Are the coupe seats the same as the sedan?

1991 Infiniti G20. Possibly in the market for a G35 sedan depending on a few things.

Old 04-04-2004, 09:21 PM

I test drove a coupe thinking maybe I would trade if the seats didn't hurt me. As it turns out, the coupe seats are more bolstered - the controls are still mounted on top and caused me pain as well - even more quickly than the sedan for that matter.

There is at least one reliable source that says the seat controls are "changed" in the 2005 sedan and coupe. He either can't or won't say how, though. It is driving me nuts not knowing, as a trade for an '05 is one avenue I would consider.

BTW, excellent letter to Infiniti and thanks for the support! : )

Old 04-05-2004, 09:06 PM

I agree, excellent letter.

I hope they listen.

Old 04-07-2004, 04:36 PM

As I noted in another thread, I test drove a G35x yesterday and after about 25 minutes my right leg was going numb. I'm 5'9" 180 and I could feel "something" pushing into my thigh. I hope they fix this for 2005.

Old 04-07-2004, 04:37 PM

BTW - I told the dealer sales rep about the pain and he suggested that the seat could be tilted and that the things he's seen on-line indicate a problem with lumbar support. Ugh!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Uncomfortable drivers seat!!!