G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

g35 - lemon of the year?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 10:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: g35 - lemon of the year?

All the problems I've had or read about all seem to be due to high expectations. The shifting feeling and clutch noise are all characteristics of the components. The tire wear, brake wear is probably due to how the owner uses them.

I have no problem replacing the rotors or brake pads. I actually look forward to buying some cross drilled slotted rotors.

It's funny how you call the car a POS just cause you can't afford new rotors.

BS G35C 6spd navi/aero/prem

Old 09-30-2003, 11:12 PM

Eticketride: Also avoid going through puddles or wet areas after the brakes have heated up, this will cause the rotors to warp on most brands, when the rotors warp the pads will glaze, rendering them useless.

Old 10-01-2003, 12:14 AM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As much as I'd like to say I would prefer longer-lasting brakes over better-performing brakes, I can't. If I'd stopped about two feet farther than where I did a couple nights ago, I'd have gotten into a BAD accident-- almost got T-boned by a semi who was running a red light. I was coming into an intersection with a green light (it had been green ~30 seconds), south-bound. I saw a glint of light out of the corner of my eye, and turned to see a semi heading west-bound, at full speed; he wasn't stopping. I had options: slam the gas and hope to God that I made it through (I was going ~40), or try to stop. Seeing as gunning it wasn't going to cut it, as he was only a few yards away, I slammed the brakes, and the semi passed only inches from my front bumper at about 60mph... it shook the car from side to side, but he didn't hit me. If those brakes hadn't snapped into form, well, I wouldn't be writing this post. Scares the bejeezus out of me. Apparently the driver was intoxicated, and got into an accident about a mile down the road (86th and Keystone, if anyone knows it). I just lost a friend to a drunk driver last week, so let's just say this incident hammered it into my head that drunk drivers should be lined up and run over [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] Have a nice day,

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 10-01-2003, 12:38 AM
Unimaginative, Indecisive User

there was this movie i saw a long time ago. a drunk driver hits a girl, who dies on the scene. the mother requested as part of his sentence that every day for the rest of his life, he write a check to their family for $1.00. by the 3rd month, he was begging the family to let him stop writing the checks because he was going completely wacko -- re-living the accident, court room things, etc. in his head all the time. mom said no. he tried to kill himself. living with the guilt was worse than death.

<font color=purple>.g35girl.</font color=purple>

Old 10-01-2003, 12:48 AM
Cactus Hugging Admin

A student at Vandy once killed someone while dricing drunk... his punishment, as decided by the girl's family, was to go talk to the incoming freshman class about it ever year. He's done it every year for quite a while now...

G

Old 10-02-2003, 03:33 AM

Dear Vipbarr-

I agree with you that you might have some defective parts because of the rate with which they are worn under normal circumstances. I had to go through the same thing for my 98 E320 when it was merely 12,000 miles on the clock. I bet that Infinity will fix this issue sooner or later so don't jump to your conclusion yet. Wait until you hear about my Mercedes ownership experience, you won't even describe the G as POS and hope it'll make you feel better. Here's my buyer beware story. Ask me what's the wost car I've ever owned or currently own. I would tell you it's the Mercedes. During the five years of owning this car, I have averaged about one dealership visit per month excluding scheduled service visits. Each month new things keep coming up that require dearler's attention- which was never a plaseant experience to deal with, and things just got worse whenever I thought it would get better. The car never track straight regardless of numerous attempts to correct the alignment issue by dealers, window regulator has been replaced so far for six times, MAS has to be replaced at merely 54000 miles on the clock, wheel bearing has to be replaced, shocks are shot at about 61000 miles, wind shield wiper is dead at about 65000, and now the turn signals have failed to work. Since then, I've been so physically and psychologically drained to even bother to bring the car back to the dealership for repair, because I know it's going to be another three or four hundred dollars out of my own pocket. Even worse is that many Mercedes owners with similar experiences are in such a deep self-denialing state that they don't even realize that they are cheated and taken advantage of by the Mercedes. That's why after the never-ending nightmare of owning a Mercedes, I feel like I can do anything and accomplish everything. So if you are thinking about buying another car, I would not recommend a Mercedes to you to save you the hurtle and stress. A BMW is somewhat recommended since they handles a little bit better than the G- has to be one with the sport package or performace package, but be sure to stack some extra cash under you bed because you will need it once the warranty is over. Just my two cents. Thank you.

Old 10-02-2003, 03:48 AM
Cactus Hugging Admin

Good post, GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGg, very informative! Has anyone else had chronic problems with a previous car? We had a BMW 2002 and an Alfa that just wouldn't die, but those are loooong stories. Anyone got a good one?

G

Old 10-02-2003, 01:37 PM

Don't 'you find problematic that Infiniti refuses to pay for worn rotors on new car under warranty? Would you trust the company after that?

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by vipbarr on 10/02/03 10:48 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 10-02-2003, 02:04 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin

I think that they are somewhat justified in their reasoning--
Your brakes are meant to deteriorate over time. Warranty covers parts that shouldn't wear too much with [i]normal[i] wear. If you throw out your tranny from excessive abuse, they might have issues replacing that too. Seeing as a majority of their customers aren't having this problem, it really does point to the use of the brakes as the culprit. Their brakes are much the same as their bumpers-- they wear down quickly in taxing situations, but they ultimately make the car safer. They are both build to disintegrate.

No one ever likes to hear the "it's the use" argument, because no one wants to admit they don't know how to save their pads and rotors... but the fact that 8/10 of these cars are assembled my computer-controlled devices belies the theory that some get good brakes, some get bad. This isn't like a creak or a rattle, where a hand-installed foam kit can determine whether or not they emerge, this is something far more complex to the company. If the brakes truly are that bad, then why do most people have success in their wear? Perhaps I just don't understand...
G

Old 10-04-2003, 12:16 AM

Shodog said I warped 5 sets of rotors on my SHO. It was from my heavy braking and crazy driving. Now I have bigger higher quality rotors and properly torqued lug nuts. I have had the same set of rotors for two years now with no problems.
UNQUOTE

I also warped a few sets of rotors with a SHO I once owned and agree improperly torqued lugs can cause the warping of the rotors. Since I will be switching to winter tires and wheels on the G in a few months, I'm concerned about properly torqued lugs when I switch the wheels. Does anyone know the correct or recommended torque?

2003.5 G35 6MT Black/Graphite Prem/Aero/Winter
1987 GN Intercooled SFI Turbo (22K original miles)
1970 GS 455 Stage 1 4-Speed (#'s matching)

Old 11-22-2003, 01:23 AM

I just got a letter from Infiniti that they will replace the pads and rotors at no charge for the first 3 years or 36K miles. If you had previously paid for this service they will refund the money to you. If you have not received this letter yet, I'm sure you will soon. My previous car was a 99VW Passat with V6 and auto. The car needed pads AND rotors replaced at all four wheels at 24K miles. The technician (not dealer)said this is common to replace all four rotors with every brake job on all the newer German cars. Something about the rotors being manufactured with soft metal.
BTW my partner has a 99BMW 540 and has had nothing but problems. The engine shut down without warning several times while on the freeway, often resulting in long distance tows. The dealer was unable to diagnose the problem for two years. Imagine going on a trip not knowing if the car was going to die! Her door handle broke off from the inside so she couldn't get out without jumping the console to the passenger side. They wouldn't give her an appointment to fix this problem for 6weeks. She was so disgusted after about 5 other problems she gave the car to her husband and drove his older car.

Old 11-22-2003, 08:07 AM

Newbie to the forum making first post..just had to respond to this one.

I've had my G35 sedan for about 3 months now and I'm lovin' every minute of it. Just reading the posts and learning how to treat this thing right. Chomping at the bit for some modes,, wheels and tires first, then onto some real performance stuff.

Now to the bit about the brakes. Yesterday, I recieved a piece of mail from Infiniti. Infiniti is offering to provide brake maintenance (pads and rotors) for 36,000 miles to G35 owners. It will also reimburse you for previous dealer provided brake service (pads and rotors) you may have already paid for.

So, it would seem, Infiniti is bucking up to the fact that the G's brakes may wear prematurely,, and if so, will warrant them.

Old 11-22-2003, 09:44 AM

Try not riding your brakes or try slowing sooner. Based on the amount of wear on my 5AT at 9,000 miles the front rotors should last for almost 40,000 miles. I may have to replace the pads sooner but that is an easy job. The G35 a POS? I think not. Other than two minor assembly problems (noise issues, not life threatening) traced to first-year assembly the car has had no problems. The G35 is a wonderful car. The only replacement I could find for it is an AMG.

<font color=blue>Dan</font color=blue>

Old 11-22-2003, 11:53 AM

Here's the problem - when the mic your rotors to check for warping, of course anything other than a factory fresh rotor will be out of spec. so there are two options : a.) replace the rotor whenever there it is out of plumb or b.) cut the rotor to bring it into warp spec - but then the rotor becomes thinner than factory spec anyway. There is a safe tolerance as far as the thickness of the wear surface on the rotors, but for safety's sake and for their peace of mind - replacing the disk at the customer's cost is the easiest most cost effective option for them . . . if you're unsatisfied with these practices, then take your car to an independent service garage and let them know that you'd like to cut your rotors as possible

Old 11-22-2003, 07:55 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

vipbarr, looks like Nissan/Infiniti has stepped up to the plate for you on the brakes with the extended warranty on brake components. (Still got the receipts?)
Hopefully your luck and attitude will change now with your ride. good luck with the other fixes.
We all feel these G's are really special.
GSM

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>