G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Install of my 05 sedan front lip. with a few pics..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2006 | 12:41 PM
|
Install of my 05 sedan front lip. with a few pics..

So after waiting what seemed like forever I finally got the front lip for my 05 G35x. And here is a not so complete how too. I was too excited during the install to take enough good pictures for a great write up. If there is already a thread then I couldnt find it (the search function needs some work). If you put your splash guards on yourself. Consider it a similar skill level but will take 3 times as long. Before you order one remember its permanant. To remove it you end up with 4 big holes in the front of your bumper. You dont lose any ground clearance but it does increase the length of the front corners of the bumper. So use a little caution the first time you charge up/down a ramp you used to clear while turning. Here we go...

--You get a big light box in the mail that contains the prepainted lip, instructions, a few nuts and bolts, a page of templates, and 2 special nonstick paper pulls.

--First cut out the 3 templates in advance. It will save you time on the day of install.

--Put beer on ice.

--If you have ramps use them or jack up the car. The install could be done at ground level, but the additional height helps a lot.

--Read the instructions! I know its a pain and I usually only read them as a last resort, but they do contain important info eventhough something was lost in the translation.

--Drop the front half of the under car protector, and all the lower bolts on the inner fender protectors. The instructions want you to remove the fender liners but you can get to what you have to by just bending them.

--Mark all the hole spots on the bumper using the templates (8). They work pretty well but they forget to tell you that you have to flip the templates over for the other side of the bumper.

--Drill the marked spots.

--On the locations that have 2 closely drilled holes you need to turn them into one oval hole with a file. The plastic is soft so its easy.

--Snap the 2 included clips over the holes in the fender lip.

--Remove the film on the double stick tape on the lip. Place the nonstick side of the special paper included on the tape as shown.

--Clean the 2 spots on the bumper where the tape will go to remove any wax etc..

--Place the lip on the bumper starting with the moulded in studs in the 2 center holes. Then the 2 side slots. Then some pulling is required to get the corners over the fenders.

--Add the provided nuts to the studs. Only snug for now. On the passenger side corner it was a pain because their is some electronic gear limiting access. Then the 2 screws in the fenders, snug.

--Check fitment. If the lip binds then the holes need to be opened up. The studs should not be jammed up against any side of the holes.

--Tighten up the nuts and screws.

--Pull out the paper and press/hold on those spots for 20 sec each.

--Drill the 4 under bumper holes.

--Pop in the 4 under bumper clips.

--Remount the fender liner bolts and under splash guard.

--Remove 1 beer from ice. Open and injest while admiring your work.

Hope this helps. But dont everyone get one. I like the fact that eventhough I see 10 sedans a day in Chicagoland. I have yet to see another one with the front lip.

Attached Thumbnails Install of my 05 sedan front lip.  with a few pics..-img_0362.jpg   Install of my 05 sedan front lip.  with a few pics..-img_0361.jpg   Install of my 05 sedan front lip.  with a few pics..-img_0363.jpg   Install of my 05 sedan front lip.  with a few pics..-img_0364.jpg  

Last edited by johnadlertech; 06-30-2006 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-30-2006 | 12:42 PM
|
more pic...

First thing my WRX friend said when he saw it "looks like it was always there".
And it should have been.

Attached Thumbnails Install of my 05 sedan front lip.  with a few pics..-img_0365.jpg   Install of my 05 sedan front lip.  with a few pics..-img_0366.jpg   Install of my 05 sedan front lip.  with a few pics..-img_0367.jpg   Install of my 05 sedan front lip.  with a few pics..-img_0369.jpg   Install of my 05 sedan front lip.  with a few pics..-img_0370.jpg  

Last edited by johnadlertech; 06-30-2006 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-30-2006 | 01:42 PM
workin...
Premier Member
hawt. nice notes & pics. i've been thinking about getting this for my sedan, but it's not as distinctive in black... and being dropped i'm too worried about scraping all the time

Old 06-30-2006 | 02:27 PM
arent those on nationwide back ordeR?

Old 06-30-2006 | 02:40 PM
workin...
Premier Member
certain colors are in stock...

Old 06-30-2006 | 04:55 PM
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member
From: Universe.Milkyway.Solarsystem.Earth.NorthAmerica.USA.FL.Tampa
Originally Posted by absolutg
hawt. nice notes & pics. i've been thinking about getting this for my sedan, but it's not as distinctive in black... and being dropped i'm too worried about scraping all the time
Mine is dropped on the zsprings and I clear the parking bumpers and trust me you notice the presence of the spoiler from all angles and mine is in black see photo below. I say go for it.

Attached Thumbnails Install of my 05 sedan front lip.  with a few pics..-one.track.mind.jpg  

Last edited by Foo_G; 06-30-2006 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-30-2006 | 05:02 PM
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member
From: Universe.Milkyway.Solarsystem.Earth.NorthAmerica.USA.FL.Tampa
BTW... Great write up and photo documentation.

Old 06-30-2006 | 08:50 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Great write up!!! I will be installing mine next week (with along with this write up and some assistance).Thanks

Old 07-02-2006 | 01:44 PM
workin...
Premier Member
Originally Posted by Foo_G
Mine is dropped on the zsprings and I clear the parking bumpers and trust me you notice the presence of the spoiler from all angles and mine is in black see photo below. I say go for it.
yeah that does look good. right now i don't clear some parking bumpers or i scrape the area under the bumper... maybe i'll get this as a bday present for myself later

Old 07-02-2006 | 02:36 PM
I have problems with scraping with parking bumps and entering and exiting parking lots with steep entry/exits. You are going to scrape with the lip regardless however if you take your time you will not scrape as much.

Old 07-02-2006 | 03:07 PM
mine should be here tomorrow and it's getting dropped off at the body shop b/c they don't make my '06 liquid platinum color prepainted.

Old 07-08-2006 | 10:16 AM
thanks for this thread i must say it was a PERFECT guideline for the install.

Old 07-08-2006 | 11:04 AM
Good write up and looks good. If you have them, can you post some full side pics? I am considering the lip and would really like to see more pics of your car.

Old 07-26-2006 | 10:38 AM
make this a sticky b/c i had a customer's body shop called and he had proiblems... soem shop that is

Old 07-26-2006 | 11:11 AM
Registered
Premier Member
me likey..tat is the best mod u can do for the 05's..great write up too..I can post this up in DIY as well..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Install of my 05 sedan front lip. with a few pics..