G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G Auto just doesn't shift smoothly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G Auto just doesn't shift smoothly

I am x bmw 328i auto owner and am happy with my G. However, the car just doesn't compete with the bmw shifting. beemer just shifts so much smoother and at the right times. My G goes up and down in gears with my driving. I hope it learns how I drive fast otherwise i'm not gonna be bragging about this car for long.

Old 10-08-2003, 04:23 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: G Auto just doesn't shift smoothly

That doesn't sound right... I had that problem a few weeks ago, took it to the dealer, and the found that my transmission fluid line was cinched in my accident, but the body shop hadn't found it. They replaced it, and everything's smooth as silk now.

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 10-08-2003, 04:32 PM

do an ECU reset if ur car just passed the break in period

if you mean by using the manual mode for the auto then its just the fact that it isnt a true tiptronic its basically a D1 D2 D3 D4 D5, it will only shift up when it feels like it but downshift will respond when comanded

Old 10-08-2003, 07:41 PM

yeah i agree my coupe does not [censored] smothly at all in drive mode. I used to just drive in manual mode so i never delt with it but now that i have been driving in auto mode its starting to make me mad. I have done a reset a few times and it doesnt help. For some reson the auto holds me in the gear for to long. Lets say i rev up to 2500 RPM and u would expect it to [censored] into second but instead it just hold me at that RPM for like 3 seconds then shifts it wierd. Also on my old car (BMW X5) when i would let off the gas it would upshit me fast so when i hit the accelerator again i would be in a higher gear. But on my G when i take my foot off the gas then place it back down i am still in the same gear and the car jerks. this is my only complaint about my car to date and i really am unhappy with it. but o well i love the car so not much i can do about it.

Old 10-10-2003, 01:07 PM

Yes, I agree with you that our Gs don't [censored] as smooth as the Bimmers, somehow the brute force on our cars tend to overwhelm the transmission, causing it to jerk a bit if you step hard to lauch you car. I think this coulb be a software related issue rather than hardware. Hope the aftermarket ECU could address this issue.

Old 10-10-2003, 01:17 PM
gsg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting discussion. Usually people complain that automatics shift to quickly, to maximize gas mileage. I like the fact that the transmission in the G will hold a gear longer; almost like a stick.
I previously have had 2 BMW's, including a 540, and I much prefer the G AT. I have a coupe, so I'm not sure if the sedan AT is different - I know the manumatic mode is different.

Old 10-10-2003, 02:33 PM

If you don't [censored] smooth, try fiber.

2003.5 G35 Sedan 6MT
Brilliant Silver/Graphite/Tints
Premium/Aero/Sport
Factory Chrome Rims

Old 10-10-2003, 07:09 PM
Unimaginative, Indecisive User

it's not that TSB out for harsh shifting for the auto, is it? i just read about some TCM getting replaced.

<font color=purple>.g35girl.</font color=purple>