G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Stillen S/C or other?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 12:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stillen S/C or other?

I'm looking into a getting a Stage II Stilllen Supercharger (I've got all Stillen so far... exhaust and intake) and was curious if you guys would suggest just to get the Stillen, or something else. And if so, what would you suggest?

Old 08-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
It all depends on what you are looking to get out of it. If you want a 1/4 mile or high HP monster the Stillen is not the right kit. If you want a fun city car with tons of low end power and good upper rpm power it is great.

If you are set on a SC you should look between the Stillen and Vortech. The results from each are way different so again you need to make sure you know what you want.

You might even put up a couple threads in the local area to see if anyone has a Stillen/Vortech around you that would take you for a ride.

If you search on this topic in the Forced Induction section you will find a number of threads where this has been discussed in more detail.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:17 PM
Alright, cool, thanks for the input!

Old 08-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Grocery getter

Always glad to help. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:35 PM
oK, screw it... where can I find a Stage 4? I want to see the prices... over at SCO the stage III is not even $5,400 (compared to Stage II at just over $5,200) but they don't have Stage 4...

Old 08-07-2006, 06:20 PM
Grocery getter

LOL!

The stage 4 is ~$850-900 over stage 2. You don't need the stage 3 kit because it is just a pulley and the stage 4 changes that again any way. I started at 2, got a used pulley for 3 then a used kit for stage 4 so I am not 100% sure on the prices.

Just remember that with stage 4 there is no engine warranty available like with stage 2 and it's not CARB approved.

If you buy the stage 4 kit directly from Stillen they might give you a little bit of a price drop since they would not need to give you the pulley, injector, or split second box from stage 2. Either way get them to deal with you. I got mine from Stillen directly and they sold me the stage 2 kit, carbon fiber hood, and engine warranty for $6k including freight shipping on the hood and everything. It was not a great deal but a decent discount from retail and the best price I could find at the time. Plus if you have any problems they are a lot more helpful if you got the parts from them.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there is a good write up on the VQ with either Stillen or Vortech SC in the latest issue of Import Tuner Magazine. after reading that Stillen looks like the best product for some plug and play fun, but I'm not so high on changing out the hood, although ttrank's car looks mean as hell with his hood

Old 08-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mackinnr
there is a good write up on the VQ with either Stillen or Vortech SC in the latest issue of Import Tuner Magazine. after reading that Stillen looks like the best product for some plug and play fun, but I'm not so high on changing out the hood, although ttrank's car looks mean as hell with his hood
If I go FI thats why I am looking at a turbo set-up. I believe Greddy has a twin turbo set-up for the G35.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:23 PM
Grocery getter

Originally Posted by jimmykce1
If I go FI thats why I am looking at a turbo set-up. I believe Greddy has a twin turbo set-up for the G35.
Turbo's are always more efficient and will make more power at less boost. Most of the TT kits don't have much lag either. There is more to worry about with them and they are more expensive but other than that they are the better choice.

Here are your options:

SuperChargers
ATI | HKS | STILLEN | VORTECH

Single Turbo
APS | Turbonetics

Twin Turbo
APS | GReddy | HKS | JWT | Power Enterprise | SFR | Ultimate Racing

Old 08-07-2006, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by jimmykce1
Jimmy,

yeah TT sounds like the way to go to make some massive power. That same issue of Import Tuner also reviewed the GReddy turbo for the VQ so you should check it out. Also the Vortech SC doesn't require the hood swap, but it takes a little more out of the box work than the Stillen, although if you figure in the time to swap out the hood with the Stillen it is probably equal.

Personally if I had the money and desire I'd go JWT TT tomorrow, but I'd rather not deal with the added tuning and potential for detonation, so SC is a better choice for me in the future.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by mackinnr
Also the Vortech SC doesn't require the hood swap, but it takes a little more out of the box work than the Stillen, although if you figure in the time to swap out the hood with the Stillen it is probably equal.
One of the main reasons why I chose vortech over the twin screw roots style s/c. Both are decent means of going f-i, but as ttrank stated it's mainly what you are looking for. As of now I'm satisfied with the low end power but I'll most likely venture out into TT, I'd like to do more with a fully built motor now.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:18 AM
ttrank, can I see pics of your car with the hood?

http://stillen.com/product_detail.aspx?sku=407370IC < is that the twin screw SC? Also, sorry, but what exactly is a "Twin Screw style" supercharger?

And anyone running both a supercharger and a turbo charger together?

Old 08-08-2006, 01:24 AM
Also, I'm looking at the Stillen headers. Whatchya guys think of those?

Old 08-08-2006, 01:30 AM
headers will do you no good right now.... you will end up loosing a pound of boost..... so no headers.......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stillen S/C or other?