G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Sedan Horsepower

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sedan Horsepower

I have been searching for the reason why the sedan has less horsepower than the coupe and how its accomplished.
I am interested in the sedan but want the coupes power.

Old 10-14-2003, 05:42 PM
Re: Sedan Horsepower

With a few mods the sedan can easily match the stock coupe power. Mods such as crawford plenum, CAI, updated ECU, K&N drop-in will all give you some additional HP to the wheels.

<font color=blue>2003 G35 BS Sedan AT - St. Louis, MO
Premium, Winter, Xenon w/Silverstar Fogs
35% Tint All Around - Clear Corners
MB Quart / Eclipse Stereo System
PIAA Extreme Whites - K&N Drop-In</font color=blue>

Old 10-14-2003, 05:48 PM
English dude, English
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes that may be true, but if you did the same performance upgrades on the coupe wouldn't be that much faster? The engines may be the same but is the compression and the engine fuel air mapping the same. If we were to get those identical to the coupe and then did those same upgrades as you mentioned then would we have a faster car? Will the coupe always be faster? What are the pros and cons to owning a sedan versus a coupe when it comes to the horsepower torque weight ratio?

Old 10-14-2003, 06:12 PM

The only reason you would pick the sedan over the coupe is whether or not you need the additional doors and rear seat room. the HP difference is not that noticable as the sedan is a lighter car by about ~100 pounds. Also if your looking for speed get the 6mt as it is about a .5 seconds faster than the AT

Jim
'03 Sedan
Brilliant Silver/Graphite
6MT/ Premium package
Sport tuned suspension
Aerodynamic Body Kit
Navigation and Satellite Radio

Old 10-14-2003, 07:10 PM

I do need the extra room an doors of the sedan. I have seen some spec.s on the ground clearance, sedan (5.3"), coupe (6.3",and the track f/r, sedan (59.4",59.6"), coupe(60.4",60.8").
Are there any comparisons or tests if the sedan handles as well as the coupe? Thanks

Old 10-14-2003, 07:43 PM

"as the sedan is a lighter car by about ~100 pounds"
Are you sure you don't mean the coupe is lighter? I would be interested in understanding how the sedan could be lighter. It has two more doors, all the back seat room etc... What is adding the weight to the coupe?

04 Sedan. Desert Platinum, Premi Pkg, sport tuned.

Old 10-14-2003, 07:52 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The intakes and exhausts are slightly different on the 2 cars as is the fuel mapping, timing, and other ECU settings (from what I've read).
The Sedan is about 100 lbs lighter too than the Coupe.
It's been said the difference in hp is more hype than reality, as is the supposed 7 hp difference in the Z engine.
IMHO the 3 engines are far closer in performance than Nissan would admit.
GSM

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 10-14-2003, 08:07 PM

Man the un-believers. This from the inifiniti website. I stand corrected it's not quite 100 pounds

Coupe Curb weight
Base model 3,416 lbs +80lb
Leather model 3,422 lbs +53lb
Leather 6MT model 3,435 lbs +37lb

Sedan Curb weight
Base model 3,336 lbs
Leather model 3,369 lbs
Leather 6MT model 3,398 lbs

Jim
'03 Sedan
Brilliant Silver/Graphite
6MT/ Premium package
Sport tuned suspension
Aerodynamic Body Kit
Navigation and Satellite Radio

Old 10-14-2003, 09:11 PM

I had a post like this, and most people said that the coupe handles a little better, but not really that much better. The coupe is .1-.2 seconds faster to 60 in both 6MT and 5AT. If you got a Sedan and put in a new CAI (cold air intake) your horsepower would match if not surpass the coupes, and the plenum would make it a faster car.

Old 10-14-2003, 09:53 PM

Sorry Tory, a CAI (if there ever was one) will not bring the HP of a sedan to the coupe level. Even adding a Crawford plenum to the mix still would not get you close to a stock coupe. What you need to surpass the coupe in a NA setup is a decent exhaust (full system to the Y pipe with free flow cats), Crawford Plenum, CAI and the last addition would be the ECU re-map. That is the magic combo my friend. Roughly about 2 grand.

Stay away from Nitrous. Very bad stuff on a stock VQ. If you are a visionary, please be the first to add a supercharger (not the Stillen) or twin turbos. This will definately beat most anything on the road, to include an M3.

Old 10-14-2003, 10:05 PM

I believe the weight difference has something to do with the fact that the coupe doesn't have the center pillars (between the front and rear doors on the sedan) and requires more stiffening parts underneath to compensate. Or something.

The general consensus seems to be that the power differential comes from the intake, exhaust, and more aggressive timings in the ECU.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 10-14-2003, 11:13 PM

not to mentio nthat the coupe is 2k more. For that in mods on the sedan, you could reach the coupe hp levels.

04 Sedan. Obs. Black W/ Willow. Premium, Navigation, Sport Tuned. 35% Tint on sides, 20% back, Hyper-Ground kit and Stillen high flow on delivery.

Old 10-14-2003, 11:15 PM

The coupe and sedan intakes are identical.

The 5AT sedan has an electric fan (or something like that) that slows it down compared to the coupe, but the 6MT sedan has an identical fan to that of the coupe. The coupe has a better exhaust, but if you were to put the stock 6MT sedan versus the stock 6MT coupe, it's a driver's race IMO.

If both the 6MT coupe and the 6MT sedan were given aftermarket ECU upgrades, aftermarket exhausts, and aftermarket intakes, I would bet $50.00 that the HP difference between the two is less than 3 HP at the wheel.

I think the reason the modified 350Zs seem to be ahead of the Infiniti has more to do with the availability of aftermarket parts.

But this is simply my conjecture.

--Steve

Old 10-14-2003, 11:55 PM

The AT Sedan's stock ECU program is seriously detuned for "luxury". Based on the advertised performance numbers, the MT Sedan's ECU program seems to be much closer to the Coupe's.

The AT Sedan's have an engine driven (mechanical) radiator fan and an electrical aux "pusher" fan. All other G35's have two electrical "puller" fans.

The G35 Sedan and Coupe air intake systems are identical.

The G35 Sedan and Coupe's exhaust manifolds, cat/downpipes and y-pipes are the same.

The Sedan's exhaust system's midpipe resonator is much larger and may be more restrictive the Coupe's. The Coupe's exhaust midpipe/resonator assembly will fit the Sedan.

The Sedan's muffler may also be more restrictive than the Coupe's. The Coupe's muffler will not fit the Sedan due to its spare tire well.

Fuel injectors - Two injector suppliers for the pre-June 03 cars
Bosch - G35 coupe & sedan, 350 coupe & roadster, MT & AT
UNISIAJECS - G35 coupe & sedan, 350 coupe & roadster, MT & AT
There is a third part number for post 06/03 production date models: G35 Coupe & Sedan MT only.

The cams for the 350Z and all G35s, auto and manual trans are the same.

Old 10-15-2003, 01:25 AM

Adding a CAI is supposed to add 10-14 RWHP, am i not correct. This would be equal to if not more than the extra 20 engine horsepower the coupe has over the sedan. Also, wouldn't adding a new intake shave off at least .1 to 60 if not more?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sedan Horsepower