G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

e-fan conversion - dyno results!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 01:18 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by trey's wife
OK $180-$250 is a big range. I'll try to get with DaveO this evening and find out what the exact parts are. I'm very curious where the cost lies. The time isn't too bad though.
It's a lot more expensive than I thought.

Dave0 says
I'd plan on between $350.00 and $500.00 depending on the option you choose.
Andy did it for $290

Parts from Summit Racing Equipment (www.summitracing.com)
- flex-a-lite (dual) 220's (FLX-220)
- Variable speed controller (VSC)
- add-a-circuit (mini) (from auto-zone)
aprox $290 total parts cost.
https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction/92699-has-anyone-else-besides-socalted-dave-o-do-electric-fan-converstion-03-sedan.html

Old 09-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
Aren't the Type I sedans notorious for being difficult to load properly below 4k rpms or so?
Dyno? My friend dynoed his Type I and he could get the dyno to start at around 3300-3500rpms.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK $180-$250 is a big range. I'll try to get with DaveO this evening and find out what the exact parts are. I'm very curious where the cost lies. The time isn't too bad though.
I know from previous conversations with DaveO that the fans cost alone $300-$400. Then the rest is small in costs.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:51 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
Dyno? My friend dynoed his Type I and he could get the dyno to start at around 3300-3500rpms.
Yeah, on the dyno. I obviously don't have direct experience; I'm merely repeating from an imperfect recall.

It's my understanding that Type I autoboxes work a bit differently, and *some* have exhibited odd behaviors with the torque converter on dynos. It's not uncommon for anything below 4000rpms to be invalid. And I think that's also the cause for the looping artifacts displayed in andy's plots.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Looping could be the tranny changing gears. That's the thing about autos. It's hard to keep the damn thing from downshifting. You can of course keep it from upshifting by selecting 3rd gear or 4th gear etc... But keeping it from downshifting when going WOT is the problem.

Plus we are all suspecting early 03 auto Gs have some idiot torque management crap under 3k also

Old 09-07-2006, 10:56 AM
So is there a kit to purchase? Who would be able to install it in Socal?

I'd like to get more info on the cost as well... Thanks...

Old 09-07-2006, 02:24 PM
It's a lot more expensive than I thought.

Dave0 says

Andy did it for $290

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92699

andy was smart using the flex-a-lite duals.

low in cost if one does their research.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Looping could be the tranny changing gears. That's the thing about autos. It's hard to keep the damn thing from downshifting. You can of course keep it from upshifting by selecting 3rd gear or 4th gear etc... But keeping it from downshifting when going WOT is the problem.

Plus we are all suspecting early 03 auto Gs have some idiot torque management crap under 3k also

I agree on the looping, it looks like a gear change.

As for the torque management, the 04.5 and 05 loaners I've had seem to have it too. If not a little worse. The loaners 5ATs felt more responsive, but the cars did seem slower, especially above 5000rpms. And this was before I had added the spacer. I don't believe in "freak" cars and I know my G isn't any special, but it sure feels like it has better legs above 60mph than loaners I've had.

Last edited by DaveB; 09-07-2006 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by PWStudent
andy was smart using the flex-a-lite duals.

low in cost if one does their research.
Even so, they're about $210. The switch itself costs $70-90 too. Everything else though is labor.

Believe me, if a dyno comparison truely showed this setup making the gains claimed (~8-10whp), then I'd do it in a second and I'd happily eat my words and publically admit I was wrong. I'm a big boy, I can handle it and admit I make a mistakes all the time. All I ask is a before dyno and an after dyno. Same machine and under similiar conditions. Andy tried to give us some good information, but his dyno operator seems to lacking when it comes to consistency.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:40 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Ok I talked to DaveO yesterday (and got in trouble for not searching - which I really kinda deserved). According to him the cost is $375-$400. According to his information there is at least one other thread where cost is laid out fully. Given that information, I can understand why someone would not jump on it right off the bat. Now I can say that if my car were one of those affected it would be pretty high on my list of things to do. I am not of the opinion that a dyno gives a 100% picture anymore than track times give 100% picture.

Bottom line is (with any mod) - if you haven't done it yourself then you can't tell someone that it won't work. You can tell them why you doubt it will work and let them see what they think but you're being pretty damn arrogant if you tell them it can't work. Sorry, but that's exactly how I feel about it.

Disscussion of WHY things work or don't work is always a good thing. Those discussions getting to the point of "slapping" at each other doesn't serve any purpose. If you believe something - tell someone why and explain your position. Then everyone can read both sides and determine what they think. If they don't bother to read both sides of anything, do you really think they have any clue which things are right and which aren't? Seriously, people need to think for themselves not just do something (or not do it) because someone else told them they should.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:48 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by Jeff92se

The looping, as I understand it, is the torque converter and not the car changing gear.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:49 PM
Bottom line is (with any mod) - if you haven't done it yourself then you can't tell someone that it won't work. You can tell them why you doubt it will work and let them see what they think but you're being pretty damn arrogant if you tell them it can't work. Sorry, but that's exactly how I feel about it.
Well hopefully that wasn't directed at me because not once have I said this mod will not work. All I've said is the data we currently is invalid.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:51 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Well hopefully that wasn't directed at me because not once have I said this mod will not work. All I've said is the data we currently is invalid.
That was a general statement. Whether or not you feel guilty of that action is between you and the guy in the mirror.

Old 09-07-2006, 03:37 PM
Red Card Crew

Nice one. That could be also. I guess you have to get the TC to lock, floor it and pray it doesn't downshift!

The looping, as I understand it, is the torque converter and not the car changing gear.

Old 09-07-2006, 03:38 PM
Red Card Crew

I'm a bit confused. Why would he feel guilty about a statement he never made?

That was a general statement. Whether or not you feel guilty of that action is between you and the guy in the mirror.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: e-fan conversion - dyno results!