G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

e-fan conversion - dyno results!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
um 400$ for a possible 5 hp gain.dont we think that money would be better spent on lightened wheels. buy the way a un clutched cummings 360 tractor trailer fan only causes a parsitic drag of 2 hp. it is far larger trust me. yes its loss is directly variable to rpm if that much gain is needed. no there is not a directly compairable dyno plot. if a person were to plan this mod perhaps the forum would contribute to offset the cost of dyno time. my hats off to andycon for taking the hit in the dyno cost.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:43 AM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I'm a bit confused. Why would he feel guilty about a statement he never made?
My point was that we are all adults and we all know if we did something or not. My statements frankly apply to dozens of the threads on this board including ones that he isn't involved in. I wasn't being a bitch - I was saying that he knows if he did that or not so he shouldn't have to ask. No implied guilt there at all. In fact it was more smartass than anything.

Last edited by trey's wife; 09-08-2006 at 12:50 AM.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:49 AM
My horns hold up my halo
I stand corrected on the price (on more than one front). Let's blame lack of sleep to the fact that I misheard what I was told and added things together that in fact were different prices for the same parts rather than different parts. I greatly apologize on that one.

I certainly trust that anyone who is really interested can look over Andy's info or on the other posts dealing with this topic.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:01 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry, after seeing this thread, i am waiting for this guy to come out and start selling some fans, i think the first dyno sheets are absolutely retarded looking. almost looks like a blank dyno sheet with some line drawn on there by some kids.

the benefits of electric fans would not show on a dyno if you let the car cool down to the same temperature. the benefits would be noticed on the street by keeping the car cooler at all times. these graphs are pointless.

you can get a difference of 5hp in between runs all the time on a dyno with no modification changes. for some reason my car dynos higher on the 4th and 5th pulls. electric fans, if set up right, WILL keep your car cooler, but in no way could you possibly tell this on a dyno accurately. a UTEC log showing coolant temps would have been a much better idea in this situation...

Old 09-08-2006, 01:34 AM
Originally Posted by andycon
Working on a DIY...for those interested.
I've been wondering about this mod for a while now... Been waiting for a shopping list or a kit to get or someone to install it for me.

Thanks.. a DIY would be GREAT!

Old 09-08-2006, 08:47 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
its really not hard to do, just do some measuring, its two plugs and two 10mm bolts to remove your factory fans. then just figure out a simple way of mounting the new fans to sit down in the factory slots where the fans slide into. then you can either wire the fans onto a fused switch in the cab or look in the manual and actually wire them up to the factory wiring. i would just put it on a ACC switch when i turn on the key. should be very very simple to do. i just have my factory fans to both turn on high due to some rewiring i did right when i turn on my car. i am sleeved and twin turbo and my car has yet to get over 185 F. other tips you can consider if you dont live up north is running 100 % distilled water with either water wetter or purple ice mixed in. this is good to keep it anywhere from 20-40 degrees F cooler AT ALL times. highly recommended if you dont live where it gets below freezing....

also another idea if you dont get where it is too cold it to gut out the thermostat, a few people have had problems with them getting stuck anyways. only down fall is when you live where it gets really cold during the year, the car wont heat up correctly, this should only be done if you live in FL, So Cali or TX, AZ areas....

Old 09-08-2006, 08:52 AM
My horns hold up my halo
As I understand it you can save about $110 if you hard wire the new fan but due to some differences in the amps you are not looking at an easy rewire. Not really something to be taken on by just anyone.

G35Luv - there is another thread that does have the parts list and some more details. I'll try to do a search in a bit. I'm babysitting a 6 month old so I only have a sec here and there. lol

Old 09-08-2006, 08:58 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
well most fans are going to draw between 10-20 amps. if you go to say a site like www.jegs.com and look around, we have been doing this kinda stuff for years. measure it up, by a double lightweight fan, grab the kit to wire it with relay for thermo if you want, should be very very simple to do. some simple fabrication might be needed. i would hard wire the fused relay right to a little distribution block i would make off the main positive side off the battery, then run a simple relay after the fuse that is turned on by an ACC switch wire.

then you are done, you turn on the car, both fans come on....

im not big on the DIY kits that people put to make money, i am more hands on, do it yourself, save money type guy.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Thanks guys... but I'm not exactly "technical"... well definitely NOT electircal... turning bolts is one thing, but once you added all the relay's, fuses, and amps... well, I'm Homer Simpson in that area... =) haha...

Old 09-08-2006, 11:03 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by lycan
um 400$ for a possible 5 hp gain.dont we think that money would be better spent on lightened wheels. buy the way a un clutched cummings 360 tractor trailer fan only causes a parsitic drag of 2 hp. it is far larger trust me. yes its loss is directly variable to rpm if that much gain is needed. no there is not a directly compairable dyno plot. if a person were to plan this mod perhaps the forum would contribute to offset the cost of dyno time. my hats off to andycon for taking the hit in the dyno cost.
Interesting information. Thanks. I do environmental work in automotive repair shops and I've seen the fans you're talking about. They are massive and heavy. Most seem to be about 24" diameter and made out of heavy duty plastic.

Old 09-08-2006, 02:17 PM
Be careful. Be very careful of what some experts have posted on this thread.

Wifey's Type 1 Sedan e-fan mod continues to work flawlessly with improved power and gas mileage.

Old 09-08-2006, 02:34 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by audiblemayhem
well most fans are going to draw between 10-20 amps. if you go to say a site like www.jegs.com and look around, we have been doing this kinda stuff for years. measure it up, by a double lightweight fan, grab the kit to wire it with relay for thermo if you want, should be very very simple to do. some simple fabrication might be needed. i would hard wire the fused relay right to a little distribution block i would make off the main positive side off the battery, then run a simple relay after the fuse that is turned on by an ACC switch wire.

then you are done, you turn on the car, both fans come on....

im not big on the DIY kits that people put to make money, i am more hands on, do it yourself, save money type guy.
I was under the impression that the fan that is being put in is a 40amp (IIRC) and the one taken out is only a 10 or 20 (I am not positive which) meaning that you can't just wire them straight through. My lack of electrical knowledges gives me no idea *exactly* what that means. LOL I get the overall picture but certainly couldn't tell someone how to make that work or whether or not something else can work.

Old 09-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I think that's way he suggests using a relay to switch on the fans. You run the actual power to the battery, using the right sized wire and fuse. Then use a termo switch or maybe the oem ecu signal to trigger the relay to turn on/off the fan(s)

Old 09-08-2006, 02:39 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by G35Luv
Thanks guys... but I'm not exactly "technical"... well definitely NOT electircal... turning bolts is one thing, but once you added all the relay's, fuses, and amps... well, I'm Homer Simpson in that area... =) haha...
Ok I said I would search for you and now that I am not babysitting I did A search. I will say that I suck at picking the right terms to use in a search (it does matter after all) but this thread should give you a good bit if you wade through it.
https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...onversion+cost

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: e-fan conversion - dyno results!