G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Tranny Swap?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 08:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tranny Swap?

Hi All,

OK, I know I am a noob here and you'll probably think I am crazy, but I am seriously considering converting my 5AT over to a 6MT. When I bought my 2004 there just wasn't a 6MT to be had in all of socal. I had considered going out of state to get the the MT but when my Maxima finally died I settled on a Leather AT. I have done some work to this car and some damage so I doubt I could get enough out of it to sell it and just buy a MT, plus I am attached to this one.

So, I am wondering if any one has done it? Any caveats? Seems like it should be as easy as finding a donor and getting the parts. I assume most of the necessary holes and mounting points are there already. Any help on completing the list of needed parts would be appreciated. Does the 6MT use a different computer?

Shopping List:
Tranny
Flywheel
Clutch
Mounts?
Clutch pedal/Cylinder assembly
Hoses/Slave
Console (may just modify exist'g)
Drive shaft? (probably get the exist'g chopped if different length)
Linkage/shifter

anything else?

Thanks!

Old 09-03-2006, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HwyDrftr
Hi All,

OK, I know I am a noob here and you'll probably think I am crazy, but I am seriously considering converting my 5AT over to a 6MT. When I bought my 2004 there just wasn't a 6MT to be had in all of socal. I had considered going out of state to get the the MT but when my Maxima finally died I settled on a Leather AT. I have done some work to this car and some damage so I doubt I could get enough out of it to sell it and just buy a MT, plus I am attached to this one.

So, I am wondering if any one has done it? Any caveats? Seems like it should be as easy as finding a donor and getting the parts. I assume most of the necessary holes and mounting points are there already. Any help on completing the list of needed parts would be appreciated. Does the 6MT use a different computer?

Shopping List:
Tranny
Flywheel
Clutch
Mounts?
Clutch pedal/Cylinder assembly
Hoses/Slave
Console (may just modify exist'g)
Drive shaft? (probably get the exist'g chopped if different length)
Linkage/shifter

anything else?

Thanks!

ECU
Speedo
Wiring harness
Just for starters

Old 09-03-2006, 09:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it'll cost too much, and you're better off selling your car and finding another used one but in MT.

Last edited by DieselX; 09-03-2006 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:28 PM
English dude, English
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't forget to include in that shopping list a G35 that already has a 6mt. Seriously, your going to spend more money converting that over, than to just eat the difference. SELL, SELL, SELL.

Old 09-04-2006, 03:22 AM
Originally Posted by Skyline_G35
Don't forget to include in that shopping list a G35 that already has a 6mt. Seriously, your going to spend more money converting that over, than to just eat the difference. SELL, SELL, SELL.
I appreciate your input but I'm not sure that it adds up that way

The tranny will be an even swap after I sell the AT so 0$'s there

If I bought a 6MT I would want to change the flywheel and clutch anyways so those don't count

The ecu "should" be able to be reprogrammed to a manual + tuning for about $500 (plan on doing that for the AT anyways)

Probably < $1000 for the rest of the parts

So considering the car has been hit in the rear twice and has some damage to the front from a tow truck at the track and considering the work I have already put into the engine and the suspension it doesn't seem like such a bad deal to me. I doubt I could get enough for it to outweigh the costs.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:46 AM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
The title of this thread is just wrong.

Old 09-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by 5150DS
The title of this thread is just wrong.
I was going for the first definition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tranny

Old 09-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they just did a at to a mt on a sedan at gtmotorsports in rancho cucamonga. Call and ask for Sam.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Toptoneone
they just did a at to a mt on a sedan at gtmotorsports in rancho cucamonga. Call and ask for Sam.
Thanks man, great tip! (no not that kinda tip 5150...)

Although you do have me thinking of a whole new theme for the car after the swap, hmmm maybe a hot pink paint job and one of those chrome *********...

Old 09-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
If you do a swap like that you are just asking for problems. I also doubt you could buy an MT and sell your AT for the same price.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DieselX
I think it'll cost too much, and you're better off selling your car and finding another used one but in MT.

werd.!!!

Old 09-06-2006, 08:08 PM
So I bought my car because it had a 6MT and I didn't even consider the Lexus IS because it didn't have a real stick but the manual transmission on this car is the one reason I might trade it in. It is like a great pair of shoes but it has one spot that gives you a blister. Well this clutch and tranny are inferior to just about any other car I have driven. I hate to say it, but I am being honest. I still think it is the best buy in its class, but this is the one aspect of the car that takes it out of the real luxury sports sedan class. That and of course the Bose c**p, the best example of how marketing can override actual performance.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:37 PM
Next time, test drive it before you buy it!

Old 09-06-2006, 10:54 PM
Heh, thanks for the comments. The reason I want a stick is because I really have no use for the"luxury" in luxury sports sedan. I wanted a sedan with RWD a good chassis and a good power plant and the G fit the bill. OK, the leather is nice... What I really hate is going into a corner and telling the AT to shift into second, it doesn't do it in time and I miss the apex!

I'm starting to collect the parts, I'll let you know how it works out.

ps. Just being my car is asking for problems...

Last edited by HwyDrftr; 09-06-2006 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:43 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
IMHO. The benefits of a manual isn't enough to convert IMHO. Since the G uses a pretty stout 5sp auto tranny, the gears are pretty well spaced and performance of the two aren't that different.

I'd play around with the MM function a bit more. ie.. downshifting the mm earlier to get it into the right gear in a turn etc..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tranny Swap?