G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Trying to sell my G and have no luck....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I bought mine 3 years ago, there were very few used ones available, at least in Oklahoma. There was the one in OKC that had the Navi I wanted, but they were asking enough that I decided to just get a new one. Would have strongly considered the same dealer, if they had only called me back like they said they would.

Now, i don't know how much I could have negotiated them down, but their asking price was only $4000 less than I paid for a new model.

Now, of course, you have 4 model years out, 2 and 3 year year old cars coming off of lease, etc.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't mean to add insult to injury, but now that the new sedan is less than a month or two away from showrooms, the old sedans are going to lose significant value. I'm sure the coupes will do the same in 2007 when the new model hits the streets.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by TunerDad
Your ad on Cars.com does not mention any mods. In fact your car has very little in the way of mods so that won't affect the sale in my opinion. I work in the auto industry (Autotrader.com Consultant) and can tell you that the G35 is very very soft right now. Meaning there's a lot of them out there. More competition than ever. These cars sell cheap at the auction too. Dealers pick them up and mark them up 4-6K!!! Most of the dealers I work with have them on their lots. Many private parties are selling too. Just check Autotrader.com and you will see. Do a search on ATC in your local area to see what others are asking for theirs and price your accordingly. I did a 2005 search for sedans in my area and if you price it between 24K and 25K you would be ok. BTW - Many more people search Autotrader.com in comparison to Cars.com. Most of my dealers do not get good results from Cars.com. Better with ATC. 1/3 of all used cars purchased in US found online at Autotrader.com!!!!! Post it there but price it right. Hope that helps. It is a very nice looking sedan BTW. Like the chrome wheels.

tunerDad

PS -for all of you posting cars for sale on Autotrader.com, post 9 photos and don't be shy with the comments. That's the beauty of the internet compared to magazines. Compare similar cars to your own and price competitvely for best results.
My ad is currently on Autotrader and I probably need to bring the price down some, but though I paid for the highest level offered I am still VERY limited in how much I can say in the allotted space. Is there something i need to do to allow more text?

thanks

Old 09-10-2006, 03:48 PM
The fact that the car was a rental for the first 21k of its life is the real issue here. Who wants to buy a rental car? I know how I treat rentals and I am not the only one. I will offer 15k for it CASH

Old 09-10-2006, 04:55 PM
Craigslist

Originally Posted by nnewton123
+1. I've always at least generated a few phone calls and/or e-mails from craigslist.
+2 - was able to sell a Dodge Durango last summer when I got my 05 G35. No luck with autotrader or the local (San Diego) paper. Craigslist came thru!

Old 09-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vt_maverick
Don't mean to add insult to injury, but now that the new sedan is less than a month or two away from showrooms, the old sedans are going to lose significant value. I'm sure the coupes will do the same in 2007 when the new model hits the streets.
I disagree, I think the current sedan will still be a desirable used car, the only reason they will lose value is because they are another year old, I don't think the current coupe has taken away many sedan buyers, so why should the new coupe do that, cars always change.....

Old 09-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by DieselX
I think his car is Gen 3 of the G35's.

2003 being 1st
2003.5-2004 being 2nd gen
and 2005-2006 being 3rd gen.
The 2007 will be 4th generation. Am I wrong?
I agree with the exception of the '03.5-'04, IMO the '05 - '06 are the second generation, different hood, different bumpers, different interior, body colored sills, a lot of other little different things too.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
I disagree, I think the current sedan will still be a desirable used car, the only reason they will lose value is because they are another year old, I don't think the current coupe has taken away many sedan buyers, so why should the new coupe do that, cars always change.....
Sorry about that, I wasn't very clear before. I meant to say that the introduction of the new sedan will steal value from the current sedan, and that the same process will occur with the coupes in another year. The introduction of the new coupe will steal value from the current coupe.

This resale value trend is common across all makes and models. Try looking at values for cars in model years before and after a major revision in Edmunds or Autotrader. You should see some decline there, except that appraisal services sometimes err on the side of straight line depreciation after the first two years or so. You could probably get a more accurate (i.e., negative) assessment by averaging the actual selling price of cars in those model years on AutoTrader, eBay, etc.

The only way you can mitigate the trend is by not modifying the car substantially between generations, especially the exterior (b/c people generally care more about their car looking new, even if it isn't). Fortunately Infiniti has taken an idea from BMW's playbook and not changed the car a whole lot, so you're probably right to say that it won't have a catastrophic impact on resale value. But I think the drop will be there.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is a good thing that, barring something unplanned like a theft, accident, etc, I don't plan to sell my 2004 for some time yet.

I've run accross some comments from people recently when I had a 2006 loaner with dark interior that my 04 with Willow looked nicer. To me, the 06 looked cheaper. Though there were a couple of small points that looked more refined.

I don't know whether it is just the wood in my 04, or the color, that made it look better.

Old 09-10-2006, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
I agree with the exception of the '03.5-'04
^+1 Hate to disappoint all you "03.5-04" people, but a revised 6MT center console, removal of "doggy door", and a very few minor mechanical changes (all of which were done as TSBs on the 2003 models) do not a new generation make. I have an 03 coupe and a friend has an 03.5 coupe and the changes are so small you barely even notice.

Nor do I think the 05-06 models represent a generation jump either, albeit a much more convincing argument than the 03.5-04 discussion. So a few body panels changed their basic shape. Headlights improved. Tail lights changed. Creature comforts increased. Interior appearance changed. Mechanicals changed. But while there were certainly a large number of changes, they were all minor in nature. I'm sure somebody's going to beat me up on the engine, but revised intake runners do not define a next generation engine. I'll be generous and say that the 03-04 and 05-06 models are only 75% the same. But the 07 engine is 80% new alone, and almost everything else in the new model is different. How can you make an argument for a generation jump from 03-04 to 05-06 when the jump from 05-06 to 07+ will dwarf the previous "generation" gap?

My list would go like this (think evolution, not generation):

Gen 1: 03
Gen 1.01: 03.5-04 (upgrade from 03 available)
Gen 1.3: Where you are if you upgrade everything possible in your 03-04 to 05-06 (projectors, spoiler, etc.)
Gen 1.5: 05
Gen 1.51: 06
Gen 1.52: 07 (coupe only)
Gen 2: 07+ (08+ on coupes)

Old 09-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I take back the 03-03.5, but...

I still stick to 03-04 and 05-06 are dif generations.

07 is obviously a new generation aswell.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by DieselX
I take back the 03-03.5, but...

I still stick to 03-04 and 05-06 are dif generations.

07 is obviously a new generation aswell.
Having owned both, I agree!

Old 09-11-2006, 08:01 AM
You can't be serious. At this point, I am leaving the car as is and if it doesn't sell, I will keep it. It would be stupid just to give the car away. I will have to find another way to get some more money for the house.

Weaver

Originally Posted by Argetni
The fact that the car was a rental for the first 21k of its life is the real issue here. Who wants to buy a rental car? I know how I treat rentals and I am not the only one. I will offer 15k for it CASH

Old 09-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by weaver
You can't be serious. At this point, I am leaving the car as is and if it doesn't sell, I will keep it. It would be stupid just to give the car away. I will have to find another way to get some more money for the house.

Weaver
I could be wrong, but I think that the smiley indicates he isn't serious....although I'm sure he would buy it for $15k if you're willing.

Old 09-11-2006, 01:52 PM
How did you like carmax, as far as the money they gave you for the car? The closest one to me is in Georgia I believe. This may be an option if autotrader doesn't work. I also got one call from craigslist and one from putting a for sale sign on the car, which I had been doing for a few weeks now.

I am not having any luck selling mods either, at least on this site. Don't know where else to list the mods, other than ebay, but I haven't had good experiences with ebay, damn cheapskates.

Thanks,

Weaver

Originally Posted by Nickk6
I had about $7,000 in my Nissan Altima, took it to carmax and they offered me $7500 for a 2002 with 48,000 miles. Put it back to stock except the slotted rotors and eibach springs, they gave me $9,500. They rather oem hub caps over a set of nice alloy wheels.

Last edited by weaver; 09-11-2006 at 02:05 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trying to sell my G and have no luck....