G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 Sedan vs. 2004 Acura TL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 02:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Sedan vs. 2004 Acura TL

Ok, I realize this a G35 forum and so some opinions will be biased. But, as objectively as possible, what do you guys think of the new 2004 Acura TL? It looks pretty nice!

As offensive as it may seem (hope I'm not burning any bridges here ) I'm actually considering getting this car when my lease is up. What does everyone think about this car?

One of the reasons that Acura attracts me is that in Seattle there is only 1 Infiniti dealership within a 200 mile radius. So its very hard to negotiate with the dealership up here. Yet there are 4 Acura dealerships in the local area. And they definitely are more persuasive as I experienced when first looking into getting the Acura TL 2003 model.

So what is everyone's thoughts on the new 2004 TL versus the 2004 G35?

Old 10-27-2003, 08:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: G35 Sedan vs. 2004 Acura TL

We only have one Infiniti dealer in NM and one Acura dealer too, so either is hard to get a deal, the closest others are in Texas.

Brilliant Silver/Graphite '04 Sedan

Old 10-27-2003, 08:51 AM

I think the looks of the car are ok and Acuras usually are pretty well equipped per $, but all car companies, including Nissan, are pushing the outer limit with the amount of horsepower they are trying to put through the front wheels.

As a former Maxima and Volvo T5 owner, I have sworn off overpowered fwd cars.

Old 10-27-2003, 09:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like the new TL... they've even shortened it significantly to fall more in line with the G and the 3-series. The quick and dirty:

- The TL has slightly more value built in, but being a new model, negotiating a deal will most probably be unlikely. Also, on Freshalloy.com, there a dealer, Grubbs Infiniti that will negotiate a great price with you on the phone, and deliver the car to your home. Reading feedback there, it seems that many individuals have been extremely pleased with Grubbs' sales and delivery experience... something to look into.

- The TL is also FWD, after discovering the joys of the RWD driving experience, it will be many years (if ever) that I go back to FWD. The driving experience really is that different.

- Taste is subjective, but the G's look fits me better.

- Although there have been some complaints about Infiniti's dealer service, Acura's isn't much better. I've found (I had a 2002 TL) that although the customer service at Acura was top notch, they charged for everything... no loaners.

So it's up to your personal preferences... good luck with your decision.

<font color=red>chinee</font color=red>
03.5 G35s

Old 10-27-2003, 09:00 AM

I have never been a front wheel drive fan, so that is why I liked the G35 better, besides the styling catching my eye. I think you will see more and more RWD cars in the future!

Old 10-27-2003, 09:39 AM

I just bought a G35 6MT for my wife, and she cross-shopped the new TL. In fact, I waited on buying the G until the TL came out so she could test drive it. Bottom line...she liked the G better. It may sound trivial, but she much prefered the AC vents and seat height adjustments in the G. Also...IMO, rear-drive is mandatory in this horsepower range....it's the difference between a sports sedan and a "sporty" sedan. OTOH, the TL has better fit and finish and materials than the G. For my wife, I would have been happy to get either car for her....but I'm glad she picked the G

'04 6MT Sedan | '95 E36 M3 | '91 Miata

Old 10-27-2003, 11:22 AM

I test drove the new TL before buying my G35S 6MT last week. I have to say the exterior styling is better than the old TL, but I prefer the G (only just). The interior of the new TL is gorgeous - I checked out all four different interiors and the best IMO is the Camel with the (fake) burled wood which looks better than anything in an Audi. The black interior with the fake CF is tacky. The gadget count is also great.

But...

Once you actually drive the car it's not quite as hot. The car is too quiet, and although I am sure it is fast it doesn't feel it subjectively. The 5AT is OK (I think the G has a better auto) and the manumatic mode is much slower to shift and has less manual control than the G. I didn't get a chance to try the 6MT as it is not our for another month. Worst of all is the torque steer. If you like to put the throttle down through a curve or fast corner then this car is not for you. The 270HP is just too much for wheels that are also steering the car. Perhaps it's just me but having spent the last 4 years driving RWD exclusively, and the prior 12 years in FWD, I would never go back to FWD.

This car is vastly better than an I35 or a Lexus ES330 etc, but those that want an enjoyable drivers car will prefer the G or a BMW. Those that want a fast luxury car will do well to consider the new TL. Current pricing is MSRP (a comparable lease to my '$36k' G35 was $150pm more for a TL at $35k).

'04 G35 Sedan 6MT with Premium, Nav, Aero in Diamond Graphite with Graphite interior

Old 10-27-2003, 04:46 PM

Wait, according to the Acura website, the 2004 TL will be rear-wheel drive. This is something I noticed too. Does everyone know that? I guess there is only so much HP you can put through the front wheels so they've moved it to the rear wheels.

Thanks for the info on the Grubbs Infiniti. Will they deliver out of state?

Old 10-27-2003, 05:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure where you saw that it was a rear driver. on the website it clearly states that the new 2004 TL is a front wheel drive car.

Jim
'03 Sedan
Brilliant Silver/Graphite
6MT/ Premium package
Sport tuned suspension
Aerodynamic Body Kit
Navigation and Satellite Radio

127831-tl g comparo.jpg

Old 10-27-2003, 05:54 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Aww... sad. Only two little happy "Acura" logos when you compare it tot he G. I figured with all that hp and they'd figure out how to pull some more torque.

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 10-27-2003, 06:23 PM

I went and checked out the TL last week. Sad to say but I was really wowed by the interior of the car to the point where I started dickering with the saleguy over price. Once they told me they were selling for $1000 over MSRP, that feeling went away. What blew me away? The highlights:

1. I have a Bluetooth phone so the wireless phone feature would be great
2. The surround sound effect of the DVD audio is amazing
3. Touchscreen nav, you can use the screen, joystick or voice
4. Standard XM radio
5. Just the well put together look

Whereas my G's interior looks funny because Nissan never moved the controls over to the US driver side, the Acura looks like it was engineered top to bottom so the interior just looks great. So unless the next G is just as nice, I'll probably end up trading in my G next year for the TL. I'm not that aggressive with my driving anymore and the FWD would be handy in the snow around here.

On a sidenote, I dropped by Infiniti of Kirkland the other day to pick up some touch up paint and they had a shizload of sedans. Looks like they really don't want to sell those cars or something. I think they're doing themselves a disservice but that's fine because I can drive for days up here w/o seeing another sedan.

2003.5 Brill. Silver/Willow 6MT sedan, Premium/Winter/Navigation

Old 10-27-2003, 06:57 PM

They really wanted $1k over sticker? Geez, I don't mind paying sticker for a car, but never over!

Old 10-27-2003, 07:50 PM

Hey sonofsnood, are you in the Puget Sound area? If you got you G35 from Infiniti of Kirkland, did you manage to haggle the price some? No matter what I did, they wouldn't budge for me. Maybe I did appear "rich" enough or something... But I can understand why they won't budge since they do have a monopoly here for Infiniti's.

Yes I agree with the FWD being handy for the snow. I'll have to check out the new 2004 TL sometime. Though the TSX looks pretty neat too, even though it has less power.

Old 10-27-2003, 10:56 PM

TL is damn nice car for sure.
HOwever, there ain't no way I'm payin over 40K for that car.
NO SIR/!

Old 10-27-2003, 11:01 PM

Where are you getting that "over 40k" figure?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Sedan vs. 2004 Acura TL