G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan
View Poll Results: Does your suspension squeak/creak ever?
I have a compression rod problem - stock suspension
60.11%
I have a compression rod problem - modified suspension
14.61%
I do not have a compression rod problem - stock suspension
15.17%
I do not have a compression rod problem - modified suspension
10.11%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

G35 Compression Rod Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 07:01 PM
workin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35 Compression Rod Problems

I hope the mods will sticky this.

If you have had a squeaky/creaky sound coming from your front or rear suspension, please post here. Also post if you have had it resolved and whether your suspension is stock or modified. There's a sticky on this in the Brakes/Suspension forum, but not here and I've noticed several threads about this recently (including facing the issue myself) having to do with sedans in particular.

For those unaware of this, put your windows down and turn your music off when you are going over speed bumps or entering/exiting driveways. You will most likely hear a bad sound. Another procedure is outlined below.

I would like to get some response here and if it's substantive, organize an effort to contact Infiniti Consumer Affairs with our problem to get it resolved to our satisfaction. It is ridiculous that techs claim they cannot reproduce it, that when it is "fixed" the problem manifests itself again in 10-12k miles and that some of us are being denied warranty completely for this faulty design/part.

From lelg35:
Well, I think I have a fail-safe way to reproduce the creak. Everyone! If you haven't heard the the creak yet, and you have over 15K miles on your car, try this and you'll hear the creak...and be disappointed with the rest of us. I've been able to reproduce the creak on ALL the loaners I've gotten...05 or 06.

Contrary to what I even thought before, it doesn't have to be over bumps to be reproduced. It can be reproduced very easily.

Procedure to reproduce the compression rod creak:

1) turn the car on and have the car stopped in "drive"
2) turn the wheel all the way to the left as if you're trying to make a U-turn (but without accelerating or moving)
3) let go off the brake so the car starts moving and let the steering wheel come back to center on its own
4) you should hear the compression rod creak as soon as you start rolling and the wheel starts straightening out.
Parts that have been used:
ROD COMPL - COMPRESS-54468-AL511
ROD COMPL-TENSION,FR-54469-AL511

ROD COMPL-COMPRESSIO-54468-AC70F
COMPRESSION ROD, FRO-54469-AC70F
BOLT-STOPPER-40038-AL510

Last edited by absolutg; 11-15-2006 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:51 AM
workin...

i appreciate the votes, keep them coming!

Old 11-16-2006, 04:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 350z and I think I hear what you are referring to...I could be wrong but yeah...is that far-fetched?

Old 11-16-2006, 08:13 AM
Mine's an '05 with 40K miles. Had the front rods replaced at 15K miles and now it's noisy again.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:19 AM
You know, I noticed that this started around 19,000 on my car. I'm waiting until the next oil change to get it fixed; I'm not going to damage anything else in waiting, am I?

Old 11-16-2006, 11:43 AM
workin...

it is unclear to me what a compression rod failure will do except for make sounds

Old 11-16-2006, 12:16 PM
Mine's an '04 X with about 35K miles on her. I had the issue fixed once back in May (don't remember the mileage) and it started creaking again last month. I plan on bringing it back in for service some time soon. I hope they don't give me the run around.

Back in May, the tech told me that they can fix it but that it's going to keep coming back. I'm worried about having to fix this issue after my warranty runs out. Infiniti has to resolve this problem.

Old 11-16-2006, 02:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a 03.5 sedan w/ 43,5XX miles, and I got the rear ones replaced under warranty about 700 miles ago. I will be taking the car in to the dealer next week for the front ones to get replaced. I agree it's unfortunate that Infiniti is not recognizing this issue as a recall or TSB

Old 11-16-2006, 02:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs down

dealer says it my tein springs making the noise b/c the small sleeves that are on the ends of the front oem springs and pads that the oem rear springs sit on were not put on (BS) the sqeaking started b4 i upgraded suspension and i can cearly tell its coming from bushings! i will have new sway bars, spc rear camber arms, gt specs, and nismo shocks installed as well as the oem sleeves/pads being put on my tiens so we'll see what the turn out will be.......

Old 11-16-2006, 06:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lexusk8
...I got the rear ones replaced under warranty ...
"Rear" ones? What rear ones? There are no compression rods on the rear. What exactly did you have replaced, and what was the symptom?

I was one of the first people to get really frustrated about the FRONT compression rod noise problem, but we've got to keep focused on one specific problem at a time. The FRONT compression rod problem is well documented by now. It's easily identified and replicated by dozens of us daily.

Old 11-16-2006, 06:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation How Do We Solve This With Infiniti??

I'm quite sure that Infiniti engineers also understand and have replicated this compression rod noise problem, but I believe and accuse them of applying business-case by failing to acknowledge it to their dealers, much less issuing a TSB. It all comes down to money and logistics. The parts are probably no longer being manufactured (assuming the 07 models use something different), so what would Infiniti do? If they issue a TSB, that really means redesigning the defective bushings, restarting a production parts line, and paying out lots of money.

What might help us would be getting some tangible evidence of the problem. Has anyone thought about making some audio/video recordings of the exact times when the creaking noise occurs? You would probably need a remote microphone located in the vicinity of the suspension. If we could post a dozen or so clips on YouTube, we could really spin this thread up and might get better attention!

Old 11-16-2006, 10:18 PM
03 with 70k, have tein h-techs for 9 months, no problems so far

Old 11-16-2006, 10:52 PM
I just wish Nismo would have made a hard rubber bushing for the compression rod like they did for the other suspension parts. I would just use that and be done with it. Perhaps there's an engineering reason why they didn't.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:09 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
I don't seem to have that problem. I will check from time-to-time and see.
04' 56k.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:17 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Noremac
"Rear" ones? What rear ones? There are no compression rods on the rear. What exactly did you have replaced, and what was the symptom?
Here's what's written on the receipt from the dealer:

Customer states the vehicle is squeaking from the rear when making left and right turns at slower speeds. Check and advise. Found the rear sway bar links loose and rusted. Replaced the rear sway bar links to resolve.

ROD CONNECTING, REAR - 54668-EG011 $15.05
ROD CONNECTING, REAR - 54618-EG010 $12.78

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Compression Rod Problems