I am very sorry for you and your family. :-(

John
03.5 G35 14.6 @ 95
02 Maxima SE 14.5 @ 95 (Wife's)
87 Mustang GT 13.2 @ 107

Old 11-21-2003, 03:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: A very Tragic Loss

to merlin and family, my best wishes through these tough times, god be with you and your family.

ren

Old 11-24-2003, 09:30 AM

I do not mean to diminish in any way the tragic loss suffered by our friend, but I think there is a lesson to be learned here for parents. This sad story makes me think of my own irresponsible youth, and how many times I almost bought the farm behind the wheel (doing insane things in my 400hp Camaro); and how I can prevent such a fate for my own kids. While as a young college student, there's probably nothing more I would have wanted than a nice hot SRT, but as parents we have to think of driver's education first. And not the BS system we call "Drivers' Ed" in this country; I'm talking "Skippy" and the like here. Looking back on those days, I was self taught, not professionally trained; and that is the problem. We have to accept that speed is what kids live for; the more we do to give them the skill to deal with it, the safer they will be.

After spending almost 20 yrs as a BMW CCA race track drivers school instructor, I used to marvel at the parents who brought their just licensed 18yr olds to flog their, M5's and 740's on the race track. I used to think, "They must be nuts," but now I'm not so sure. When I was getting my license, it was an easier thing to keep your new driver out of trouble. You simply put them in a car that was too boring to even attempt to go fast in. Economy cars were SLOW (remember the Pinto???), and there were plenty of SLOW tanks around too, (think about full size American cars with 120hp 6 cylinder motors, 4 cyl. non-turbo Volvos, etc.) Today, even the most mondane cars are pretty quick. Entry level cars in the "sub-$20k-almost-economy range" (SRT) are faster than the exotic sports cars of my day. Our kids need a whole lot more help in the learning process.

We need to teach our kids car control; because self control is much harder to teach. We need to take our kids to autocross schools and races, and race track drivers schools. We need to take them out driving when there's a few inches of snow on the ground to learn about skid control. And we need to trust them to drive our own fast cars in these events; not the family Minivan. You can bet if a child grows up in a family with a car like a "G", they will not be satisfied until they get their own car just as fast, or somehow con you out of the keys of yours. If they are able to afford to drive the hotter cars of today, why not add the extra safety precaution of a professionally taught course or two such as Skip Barber. It's a small expense compared to the loss or injury of a child.

Of course, it could all back-fire, and they could end up hooked on motorsports, and just make their parents worry more; but that's a chance I will take with my kids.

04 G35s 6MT BS Aero Kit/Nav/Prem
Warning: Objects in Mirror Are Losing!

Old 11-26-2003, 06:02 PM

Words can't express the loss and thoughts we all have...

[i]<font color=red>BoneDaddy
2003.5 Garnet Fire, Premium, Aero, Sport & Debadged