G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

New Osram Headlight Output

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyc13
Just a few suggestions to help you out next time you replace them.

- do your homework on a product before you but it..there's a thread on here recently of a guy who replaced his fogs w/ lights that match the xenon's perfectly (I think they're Ultinon or something like that)

- I just put in new fogs last weekend, after researching on here (went w/ the piaa yellow plasma ion 2500K yellow fogs & got them used from ttrank). No need to remove your tire for this install, unless your hands are the size of Andre the Giant. Just turn your wheel in towards the engine bay & remove 3 or 4 clips, bend the liner in & you can access the rear of the lights that way. I think it took me 1/2 hr. total to do it.
Trust me Jimmy, I do plenty of research on here before I make any move. It's for that reason that I went to Europe (on the web) to get my bulbs. I was looking for a clear bulb (blue to me is rice) that had the closest output to the HID's. I may have to go against my own desire and get something blueish to get a color closer to the HID's but I think I'm going to stick with these for awhile and see how it looks.

As for the install, I tried turning the wheel but could not see all of the clips I needed to bend the liner. I felt more comfortable just jacking it up, removing the tire and then looking in to the full wheel well. It also let me check out the suspension and brake set-up and gave me a better working knowledge of my car. Like I've said before, I'm relatively new to modding a car as nice as this (had an Accord in the college but anyone can mod one of those) and when I do something I want to learn from it.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by marty315
These were white or yellow bulbs? Yellow fogs are just not my style. I'm really trying to get all of the lighting up front to match. Any other suggestions on bulbs that will better match the stock HIDs?
Originally Posted by ORANGEBSRT
Yellow
Someone's not reading the previous posts...

Old 01-17-2007, 03:28 PM
wow, so these were osrams from UK? everything i've read about em said that the output was better than US silverstars (granted marginally, but still).

Old 01-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Someone's not reading the previous posts...
I'm reading the post....I juss feel like typing yellow cause I juss put some in mine yesterday

Old 01-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Old 01-17-2007, 03:43 PM
How about these.. it's a neon purple (violet color)

Attached Thumbnails New Osram Headlight Output-xenons.jpg  
Old 01-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
They are better, and are uncoated so they beat out all other coated bulbs just by that fact. Any coating cuts light output, so everyone installing bulbs that "look" like the HIDs to match the color are actually losing output in doing so. The osram silverstars are one of the few bulbs that actually have a higher output, though its only like +15%, when used in the foglight location along with HID lowbeams, the difference may not be noticeable, but if those were your headlights, I'm sure you would be able to see the difference.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by redlude97
They are better, and are uncoated so they beat out all other coated bulbs just by that fact. Any coating cuts light output, so everyone installing bulbs that "look" like the HIDs to match the color are actually losing output in doing so. The osram silverstars are one of the few bulbs that actually have a higher output, though its only like +15%, when used in the foglight location along with HID lowbeams, the difference may not be noticeable, but if those were your headlights, I'm sure you would be able to see the difference.
yea, that was the impression i got also.

marty315 forget the match and just go yellow, at least it will really help visibility.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Trust me Jimmy, I do plenty of research on here before I make any move. It's for that reason that I went to Europe (on the web) to get my bulbs. I was looking for a clear bulb (blue to me is rice) that had the closest output to the HID's. I may have to go against my own desire and get something blueish to get a color closer to the HID's but I think I'm going to stick with these for awhile and see how it looks.

As for the install, I tried turning the wheel but could not see all of the clips I needed to bend the liner. I felt more comfortable just jacking it up, removing the tire and then looking in to the full wheel well. It also let me check out the suspension and brake set-up and gave me a better working knowledge of my car. Like I've said before, I'm relatively new to modding a car as nice as this (had an Accord in the college but anyone can mod one of those) and when I do something I want to learn from it.
Cool man.

FYI - here is that thread w/ the H4 bulbs that match the headlights..they're actually PIAA Extreme Force.

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06/130641-hids-fog-bulbs.html

Let me know if you want me to post up picts of my yellow fogs, so I can try to change your mind .

Old 01-17-2007, 06:25 PM
I appreciate the link to the thread. I'd actually read the first couple of pages of that before I decided to buy the Osram Silverstars. This is the look I was trying not to achieve:

That's a shot pulled from the other thread of PIAA Extreme Force bulbs in the fogs.

I guess I just have to decide which way I want it to look better, during the day or at night. I guess if I took out the amber reflector in the lense it wouldn't look like there were three different colors in the housing.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:32 PM
Yah i got extra set of osram silverstar H4s if anybodys interested. got it from UK.

I think the Ultinon's are HID tho. think what he's lookin for...just like me...is a more blue xenon like H4 halogens. rather than do a whole d2r conversion....

here's a better link with pics of piaa exreme:

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...hlight=ultinon

I ended up going with the Luminics blue H4 for my fogs..but its too blue now and not as white. Now its so blue makes the xenon d2r look more yellow....

Last edited by G-Mony; 01-17-2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:46 PM
I'll probably get the PIAA Extreme Force bulbs in a week or so and try those. If they don't work out, we'll keep searching...

Old 01-18-2007, 12:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bizzzrak
Just a quick question im soon going to buy piaa 2500K fogs but what bulbss do it get H1 H3 H4?
My '04 sedan uses H4 bulbs (I too have those Piaa's installed right now & love them). I cannot confirm that your '06 uses the same though...I'm guessing it does.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:44 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I found a set that had yellow coating for Fogs and Clear for High beams. Took some doing to find them on the web.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Osram Headlight Output