G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Driving in snow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 03:17 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Driving in snow

Well today was the first time since owning my G sedan that I was exposed to icy / slippery conditions. Well it sucked, and I had fun at the same time. I was in a huge parking lot just messing around and seeing if I'd be able to control my car. Well lets just say I'm glad this wasn't in traffic. I don't know how long you folks been driving RWD cars but this is my first. It is way worse in slippery conditions that FWD, but if you've got open area it can be fun while a learning experience. Just thought I'd share this with you.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Enjoy the snow while you can, being that you live in Texas it can't stay for too long.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:25 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Old 01-17-2007, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you had winter tires you'd be alright. Since you're in Texas I wouldn't advise that purchase. Regardless of what vehicle or how it is equipped you do need to take it easy in winter driving conditions.

Whenever we have severe weather here they show the dozens of cars in a row on TV that went in the ditch or rolled, etc. It's almost always the big massive pickup trucks or SUV with hemi's and winter, studded, chained, nailed, glue coated, etc. types of tires. Driver attitudes are a big factor in these kinds of accidents.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by Woblin_Goblin
If you had winter tires you'd be alright. Since you're in Texas I wouldn't advise that purchase. Regardless of what vehicle or how it is equipped you do need to take it easy in winter driving conditions.

Whenever we have severe weather here they show the dozens of cars in a row on TV that went in the ditch or rolled, etc. It's almost always the big massive pickup trucks or SUV with hemi's and winter, studded, chained, nailed, glue coated, etc. types of tires. Driver attitudes are a big factor in these kinds of accidents.
totally agree, you can have all the gadgets and still wind up i a ditch, especially if you're in an area that doesn't snow much (here) and people are not used to driving in this type of weather (me). It was so bad that we didn't even go to work, and I'm in the military.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:33 PM
I just try to avoid going out on that day if possible or until the roads are a bit better. Even running winter tires, it's not my driving that worries me, it's the other ppl around me that are going faster than what the current driving conditions call for.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I find it slightly amusing when people talk about snow driving and its difficulties. I grew up in North Dakota and lived there until 22, been in Iowa ever since. Winter driving is just a part of me, I don't even notice it anymore. Btw... no accidents

Trending Topics

Old 01-18-2007, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by MidnightG35X
I find it slightly amusing when people talk about snow driving and its difficulties. I grew up in North Dakota and lived there until 22, been in Iowa ever since. Winter driving is just a part of me, I don't even notice it anymore. Btw... no accidents
have you ever heard of Savannah Ga., or Columbia SC? Well it doesn't snow in those places and the people that live there probably grew up there just like you grew up in ND. Therefore there is no snow for them to get experience in. To make matters worse, both of those places mentioned experience lots of accidents when it is raining heavy. I would know I was stationed there. It's just not part of their lives. There is something to checkle about.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:27 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey.. another Iowa G driver! I am in Ames.

Ya, having a G35X is helpfull in the winter. A few days ago I went out with a few buddies that have AWD cars (suburus and such) and we did some drifting and some 1/4 mile drags and stop tests, all on a frozen/snow covered parking lot that had no cars.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by gtbigup01
have you ever heard of Savannah Ga., or Columbia SC? Well it doesn't snow in those places and the people that live there probably grew up there just like you grew up in ND. Therefore there is no snow for them to get experience in. To make matters worse, both of those places mentioned experience lots of accidents when it is raining heavy. I would know I was stationed there. It's just not part of their lives. There is something to checkle about.
I know it is not part of their lives and they have they no experience with snow. And you're asking if I've ever heard of Savannah Georgia or Columbia South Carolina? I might be from the north Midwest, but that doesn't mean I'm completely sheltered from the outside world. I don't want to start a flame war, so I'll just say I put in my 2 cents, and that's all there is to it.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:31 AM
Alright! Another Iowa driver! At least you don't have as far to go to get service in Des Moines! Kinda a pain if I ever want warranty... stupid dealer lying to me...

Old 01-18-2007, 11:30 AM
Snow- No problem

Last week we had about 15" in the snow belts off Lake Erie. I had no problem getting around in my 6mt equipped with Dunlop M3's winter performance. I made it okay through 7" of unplowed snow. This was on a fairly level surface. Anything more than 8" would have been a problem.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:48 AM
There are those poor souls who live in areas that don't have to contend with snow as much as some of the rest of us As such, they struggle when the white stuff does show up. Think the discussion started there.
You did the smart thing and got the X to deal...I had to get snow tires because I found out the hard way...large amounts of horsepower and RWD do not mix well with driving in the bad weather..no matter what the VDC does.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by snowshoe427
Last week we had about 15" in the snow belts off Lake Erie. I had no problem getting around in my 6mt equipped with Dunlop M3's winter performance. I made it okay through 7" of unplowed snow. This was on a fairly level surface. Anything more than 8" would have been a problem.
Last winter, I drove home from work in a snowstorm and I had to park my car at a shopping center parking lot instead of in my garage @ home. There was 12" of snow or so (unplowed)....because the front bumper is so low off the ground (I'm OEM bumper & height), it would have acted as a snow plow & just compressed all the snow as I drove & gotten worse & worse, so I didn't even bother.

Anyone drive their G in about 12" of snow? Any issues w/ the above? (BTW - I'm RWD w/ snows)

Old 01-18-2007, 01:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had mine out for the first time in snow this week, and I must say it's not much different than my old FWD Maxima. I have snow tires...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driving in snow