G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Baby seat...how are the leather seats holding up?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 12:19 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok...I finally had the time to set up the baby seat (baby due any day now). I kinda forgot about the replies from this thread (sorry...short term memory) so I went ahead and setup the baby seat in the center taking the two middle latch. From previous post, some said the latches are design for the side seats and also someone replied that they do use the two center latches.

Sorry for the crappy phone camera pictures...

So should I used the seat belt method? Isn't the seat beats always in the way when you put the baby in and out? Also, I do not think the baby seat comes with anything to strap to the tether (the metal clip behind the head rest).

Anyway, now with the baby seat on the two middle latches, it kinda slide left and right and definitely more than an inch. Am I doing it wrong?

Last edited by mikeee2; 03-15-2007 at 12:22 AM.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:22 AM
Why do I bother to DIY???
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I said, the middle latches aren't meant for use in the middle seat. Read the manual.

I had the same problem you had...the baby seat slid sideways. The police inspector said to twist seat belt button end a couple of times to reduce the slack. The center seat has a really long button end! This helped a lot. Also, make sure you get some of the grippy shelf liner. The police inspector said that will help reduce the sliding...and it does.

My rear facing seat didn't have a tether for the top clip...sorry, I kept thinking forward facing! I had a Peg Perego and once I reduced some of the sliding (can not eliminate it entirely), it seemed fine.

Make sure you take it to an inspector. Police stations or baby stores can check them either through open days or scheduled appts. Check this approved list...

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...inspection.htm

Old 03-15-2007, 07:28 AM
Thanks. I'll try it again tonight securing it in the center but with the lap/shoulder belt. Just seem very clumsy with the belt wrapping on top of the baby seat. Maybe I should consider using the latches and place the seat on the side?

Originally Posted by RocketG35
As I said, the middle latches aren't meant for use in the middle seat. Read the manual.

I had the same problem you had...the baby seat slid sideways. The police inspector said to twist seat belt button end a couple of times to reduce the slack. The center seat has a really long button end! This helped a lot. Also, make sure you get some of the grippy shelf liner. The police inspector said that will help reduce the sliding...and it does.

My rear facing seat didn't have a tether for the top clip...sorry, I kept thinking forward facing! I had a Peg Perego and once I reduced some of the sliding (can not eliminate it entirely), it seemed fine.

Make sure you take it to an inspector. Police stations or baby stores can check them either through open days or scheduled appts. Check this approved list...

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...inspection.htm

Old 03-15-2007, 07:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
For a camera phone, those pictures came out great IMO!

When I install my car seats in the rear, I use my own weight on the car seat (put my knee on the base and/or seat) and then pull the tension as tight as possible. This will help reduce the sliding as well.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're not sure, take it to your nearest Fire dept. or highway patrol station. They'll install it for you and show you how to do it properly.

Congrats.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by jimmyc13
For a camera phone, those pictures came out great IMO!

When I install my car seats in the rear, I use my own weight on the car seat (put my knee on the base and/or seat) and then pull the tension as tight as possible. This will help reduce the sliding as well.
Haha...I have a Sony K800 phone. It does say it's a 3.2 megapixel camera but of course it's no where close to the quality of an actualy 3.2 mp. Anyway, so how are you securing it? Center? Side? Using latch? Seatbelt?

Old 03-15-2007, 09:33 AM
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I would definately go with some sort of seat protection- even if it's just towels. I cleaned up my interior last night and removed my 2 1/2 yo son's seat to finish the job. I usually remove the seat when not in use, but he is only in it about once a week and there is some stretching of the leather under the seat. I used some leather cleaner, then conditioner all over and just hope it tightens back up.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I do is put a towel under the baby seat so it doesnt rip or crack the leather

Old 03-15-2007, 10:00 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Yes they are in Canada Bobby, heck not long now for the arrival of your Daughter. Must be excited.

Shane they are part of Toys r us.
Here is the Canadian website : http://www.toysrus.ca/webapp/wcs/sto...langId=-1&N=27

Here is that seat Protector: http://www.toysrus.ca/webapp/wcs/sto...9835&nvalue=24
Glad you guys found and posted these, I noticed them in a flyer not long ago and intend to pick some up this weekend. Funny how when kids come along, our definition of 'mods' shifts a bit...

Old 03-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeee2
Haha...I have a Sony K800 phone. It does say it's a 3.2 megapixel camera but of course it's no where close to the quality of an actualy 3.2 mp. Anyway, so how are you securing it? Center? Side? Using latch? Seatbelt?
Well now that I have 2 kids (as of last October), I have one on each side. I never did the center seat thing...way too difficult loading the kid in & out each & every day @ daycare. I am using the latch....it's WAY tighter w/ that install method than with a seatbelt.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:06 PM
Xer
My solution for the twins was easy, I bought wifey an Armada, this keeps the G clean. I can put the 2 seats in the back although it is tight, I have done this a couple of times only for a couple hours and they left a impression for some time afterward. I to use the knee on base method and reef down on the strap(tether) believe me when I am done, these seats do not move, gotta keep my future G men safe!!!!!

Old 03-15-2007, 02:11 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I used this when my daughter was in rear facing:
http://www.toysrus.com/sm-mighty-tit...i-2267437.html

This beats kneeling down on the base and pulling on the seatbelt. Gets it as tight as you want.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:50 PM
i made the mistake of putting my kid in the center after he was born using the latch. As others have said it allows alot of play from side to side. i've also done rear facing convertible in the middle and finally forward facing on the side. LATCH on the side is definitely the way to go. And when it's on there tight, you can actually shake the car when testing for any play. I'm expecting number 2 in a few months and will probably put the carrier on the side since the middle might be somewhat tight.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by tkman00
i made the mistake of putting my kid in the center after he was born using the latch. As others have said it allows alot of play from side to side. i've also done rear facing convertible in the middle and finally forward facing on the side. LATCH on the side is definitely the way to go. And when it's on there tight, you can actually shake the car when testing for any play. I'm expecting number 2 in a few months and will probably put the carrier on the side since the middle might be somewhat tight.
Hmm...interesting. Maybe I'll just use LATCh on the side then. Now the question is which side? I guess diagonally from me. Since if I would to put baby seat behind me then I won't be able to push back my seat much.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:14 PM
passenger. rationale is that if you need to reach back there quickly, it's easier.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Baby seat...how are the leather seats holding up?