Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Getting better gas mileage?

Chevron seems to be the way to go.

03.5 Sedan/B. Silver/Premium/Winter/Aero
69 Chevelle BB/4.11's

Old 02-01-2003, 09:48 PM

Ok then. So has anyone tried the K&N air filter? Does it help gas milage?

Old 02-02-2003, 04:31 PM

Has anyone use that Tornado thing? Does it work?

Old 02-02-2003, 06:07 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There's lots of us who have a K&N air filter. P/N-33-2031-2 for both Sedan & Coupe. Can't tell if it allows better gas mileage but it's been proven to give a few ponies.[img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]
It's hard to believe the hype on the 'Tornado'. Personally I'd say it's 'snake oil' [img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img].------------------Good luck with your ride.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Gsedanman's Coupe

Old 02-03-2003, 05:41 AM

Yes, there is a body kit that does improve your gas mileage a little. Made by Nismo but, you can buy it through the dealer and would not void any warranties. The dealer sells it as an option (looks awesome on my Twilight blue G). The front and rear bumpers are totally different and with the side skirts of the body kit you eliminate the grey portion that surrounds the bottom of the body. But, for the gas mileage to be affected you would need to full body kit. The full body kit has wind diffusers on the bottom of the car. This is what creates the .026g drag of air ( 0 drag = more aero dymanics = more speed). This option would set you back about 3,000 dollars (it's worth it). Nismo is also going to be selling and installing there aftermarket products (cold air intake, brake upgrades, etc.....) right out of the dealers without voiding warranties. This goodies should have been in dealers already. Soon, hopefully if all the red tape is work out soon. Rumors also say there might be a supercharger in works somewhere.
**NOTE** THE TORNADO DOES NOT REALLY WORK !!!!!!!

Old 02-03-2003, 11:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My understanding is you only need the Aero Package with the rear spoiler and wind diffusers to get 0.26 Cd and zero rear lift. At least, that's what the fine print on their website seems to suggest.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 02-03-2003, 05:14 PM

If the diffusers are a significant contribution to increased gas mileage, they may be a bargain. I installed them on my sedan (my sedan does not have the aero package) as a simple bolt-on. Infiniti Parts lists them as "floor coverings" and they cost approximately US$75.

<font color=blue>Dan</font color=blue>

Old 02-03-2003, 07:16 PM
O.F. Administrator

Dan, I've been asking about those diffusers at my dealership for a few weeks now. You say they're called "floor coverings"?
I'll run that by them and see what happens. I'd like to install them on my Coupe because I didn't get the aero kit either.
Did they bolt on easily and did the hardware come with the diffusers too?
$75 US seems reasonable. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Gsedanman's Coupe

Old 02-03-2003, 07:17 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aero and Cd changes are only significant at high speeds. Most of the complaints about poor gas mileage involve city driving. At 70 MPH, the mileage is actually pretty good.

Old 02-03-2003, 08:21 PM
IQ9

I rolled out of Sac. this morning and kept it a eighty and used a 1/8 of a tank. I usually get 19+ in the city. The freeway is, as gordgee states, where you really see the five speed shine.

03.5 Sedan/B. Silver/Premium/Winter/Aero
69 Chevelle BB/4.11's

Old 02-04-2003, 12:07 AM

any of you know if using the sport shift instead up straight up auto would help in gas mileage? i've been using that lately and upshifting before reaching high rpms.. i started doing this at my last fill up and have been keeping watch of the fuel gauge.. seems to lasting a little longer from what i can tell.. of course, it could be cuz i don't accelerate as much since i'm paying more attention to rpms than just bustin' out of the line at traffic lights.. and i just installed a K&N filter.. too many spurrious factors.. i'll let you guys know anyway.

'03 G35 Sedan: ivory/aero body/sport/sunroof
Warning: Objects in mirror are FASTER than they appear

Old 02-04-2003, 04:14 AM

So what is the body kit called and how much dose it cost? Can i get from the dealer and have them install it?

Old 02-04-2003, 10:15 AM

Agreed. Most of my driving, so far, has been short trips to Concord, Walnut Creek, etc. with lots of driving in Lamorinda. This has returned only 20 MPG. I have a long freeway trip planned in a couple of weeks. I'll be interested to see what that mileage will be.

The two loaner G35s I've had each had about 6,000 miles on the odo. They seemed to have better mileage. Maybe the G35 motor is built tight and requires a long break-in.

<font color=blue>Dan</font color=blue>

Old 02-04-2003, 10:19 AM

Each "floor covering", one left and one right, came complete with two nuts and one bolt. I did not want to overtighten the fastners so I used a small amount of blue Loktite. I'll look to find the part numbers.

I forgot to add that the sedan has the corresponding studs and nuts installed on the body underside just in front of the rear suspension. Installing the diffusers was easy, I installed them with the car on the garage floor, the fit-up was perfect.

<font color=blue>Dan</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by dspisak on 02/04/03 07:23 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 02-04-2003, 02:38 PM
O.F. Administrator

Dspisak, Thanks for the info. Don't worry about the P/N's unless someone else needs them: My Coupe's will be diff.
Did you mean ahead of the rear suspension or behind?.....I've looked under my Coupe and can see 2 free studs on both sides just aft of the rear suspension back by the rear muff. Not sure of the shape of these things but looks like they may go there. thnx... [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Gsedanman's Coupe

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Getting better gas mileage?