G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Coupe feels slower than my Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 01:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coupe feels slower than my Sedan

Drove my bro's stock MT coupe the other night. Seemed a lot slower than my Sedan Auto w/ Stillen high flow, z intake, crawford plenum, and magnaflow resonator. Funny thing is that when he first bought his coupe and I test drove it, I was jealous as hell cause it felt so much faster than mine (w/out mods on my sedan then). Now my G feels much faster. He doesn't race either, so I guess I'll never know. I just hope that the few mods I've done actually made my car faster and not make it only just sound faster. What do you guys think? Am I dazed and confused or is my car faster/at least on par?

Old 12-24-2003, 02:34 AM
Re: Coupe feels slower than my Sedan

I have always and still maintain that the 0-60 difference between the stock coupe and stock sedan when comparing like transmissions is non-existent. The differences in car mags have been extremely small - easily attributable to timing/driver variances.

I have driven both cars back to back on the same roads several times, and the sedan "feels" quicker to me. This may be because you are sitting down deeper in the coupe and in a higher position with the sedan. I do not think there is any real differences though when comparing A/T to A/T and 6spd. to 6 spd. Just my humble opinion.

Old 12-24-2003, 09:04 AM

I also have driven both back to back and agree completely. Anyone who tells you the coupe is markedly faster is full of crap, IMO.

Old 12-24-2003, 01:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't disagree... But one thing to consider when comparing a 5AT to a 6MT is that if you're tooling along at 30 mph and smash the gas, the 5AT is going to automatically downshift into the correct gear to get quickest jolt. It takes a more skilled 6MT driver than I am to know exactly which gear to drop into at all different speeds in order to rev match the car smoothly and immediatly into the 5000 rpm range.

Bottom line... The coupe may be faster but at 3000 rpms definitely doesn't pull as hard as the sedan at 5000 rpms.

--Steve

Old 12-24-2003, 01:29 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This topic pops up every so often, but usually in the Coupe forum under the title "My loaner sedan seems faster than my coupe!!" or something along those lines. Those who have driven both with objectivity agree completely, but there are some who will never have their opinion changed on both sides of the fence. C'est la vie.

I personally have driven both extensively, and have to agree that the performance difference (loaded, both) is marginal if existant. I got the sedan, as to me it looked like a beautiful sleeper anyway and was more convenient/wise for where I am in my life. If I felt I'd have been sacraficing performance, I would've gotten the coupe. No love lost, they're both wonderful cars, the sedan just happened to fit me better. If I weren't worried about being pragmatic-- who knows? [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 12-24-2003, 05:01 PM

I had a 6MT coupe on order Sept. 2002, but when the first 5AT coupes started showing up and I test drove one, I was not impressed at all. The car felt more sluggish than the sedan I eventually bought. If you ask me, the 5AT sedan feels and is faster than a 5AT coupe. It is, by the way, lighter in weight and feels it. And you actually get a usable back seat and trunk. WOOOHOOO!

Old 12-24-2003, 07:10 PM

Sacrilege! How can you guys say that? Everyone knows the Coupe's faster, just ask 'em.

The Sedan continues to be under-rated by those who really haven't done their homework. Let's not tell 'em.

DaveO
2003 G35 Sedan - DP / Willow / AT / Premium / Sport
350Z Engine Cover, T-Stat & Air Duct / Stillen CAI
GG 7-Wire H-G Kit / TechnoSquare ECU
Street Edge TC / Stillen Exhaust System

Old 12-24-2003, 07:44 PM

LMFAO
u sedan guys are pathetic (not all of you)
u make me laugh

Gggggg G Unit....... lol

Old 12-24-2003, 07:46 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

DaveO....Haha, Sounds like a challenge to me hmmmmmm. I accept, I think, (provided the mods are similar)......[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

All kidding aside, I've owner both and I can say that from the seat of my pants there's very little in it, if anything in acceleration. Handling is a little better in the Coupe (IMHO). One supposedly has a little more hp and torque, (which we've seen on dyno results) but is hampered by more 'pork'. So there really shouldn't be much diff should there?

I can't see that the Coupe would be slower than the Sedan unless the ECU needs resetting because it's been grannied for 2 long.

As has been said many times, The Sedan and Coupe are great rides and have their own attributes. Just depends what you need and what you like.
Isn't it great to have choices so evenly matched. Not many manufacturers offer what Infiniti/Nissan does. There's something there for everybody with the 350Z, Coupe, and Sedan. Enjoy. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Merry Christmas all.......

<font color=red>G</font color=red>S<font color=green>M</font color=green>
<font color=red>G</font color=red>S<font color=green>M</font color=green> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 12-24-2003, 09:14 PM

Colin,

I agree with you. Both the G35 Sedan and Coupe are great cars and deserve equal respect. My sacrilege post was ment to be somewhat tongue in cheek. You should have seen my first draft, it would have really would have rattled some coupe owners.

As for a race with similar mods, I wasn't thinking along those lines, but I believe it would be interesting. So far I've only "raced" two other cars. One was a 6-speed 350Z from a slow roll (twice) and a Dodge Dakota 5.9L AT(?) from a stop light. I won't reveal the winner for fear of annoying some (not all) coupe owners. By the way, if I'm unavailable, I'm sure Gurgen would be willing to represent me and the other AT Sedan owners.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all. Peace!

DaveO

Old 12-24-2003, 09:51 PM

The funny thing is this is never brought up in the coupe forum .
Unfortunately, every time I stick my head in here, I find one of these posts, and I've only been here twice. I am not going to say the coupe is faster or slower (the guy with the original posts had mods, and I don't believe it's fair to compare it against a stock coupe - let's compare apples to apples), but it sure sounds like some (not all) sedan owners are trying to convince themselves that they made the right decision with the purchase. Both are great cars, why do we have to argue over which one is faster? Peace to all coupe and sedan drivers.

G35 Coupe. Diamond Graphite, Graphite, Premium and wheel and Tire package. Zaino Baby.

Old 12-24-2003, 10:49 PM

Man!!! After I read almost all the posts on this thread, I was going to stay out. But zorro, you are kidding me right? No posts like this in the coupe forum? You have got to be joking. What about this post by one of the coupe drivers in the COUPE forum??!! Sounds more like coupe guys are regretting spending 5K more on an identically-performing car (looks aside).

Seriously though... All of you guys here except this "kookoo'd" imbacile has been right on the money (believe me, I have tried to come up with a less offensive yet fair synonym, but couldn't, sorry). Some people are just beyond help... One just has to look at the posts on this forum and the magazine tests: MT's are within 0.1 seconds of one another - which, believe me, is easily within the margin of variability of different/less-then-perfect launches. Don't forget the weight difference (with much more potential for weight loss). We have talked about this sooo many times...

Comparing 6MT to 6MT's and 5AT's to 5AT's - there is JUST NO TANGIBLE DIFFERENCE, and the weight advantage of the sedan more than makes up for it. Yes they are marketed as having 20 hp more, but we have seen many times that the difference in actual usable wheel hp, if any, is 4-10hp, 216-218 (sedan) 223-228 (coupe) (to the best of my recollection), which is easily compensated by the weight advantage. A 350z (on this same dyno machine) does 233. This gives you an idea of the true differences in the 3 sister cars. With intake/plenum/ECU/resonator I did 241 on this same dyno machine. And believe me, these mods cost me much, much less than the cost difference b/w the two cars (coupes are $3k more expensive and are hardly discounted, whereas the sedans can be easily had for $500 over it's $3K lower invoice, if not less).

MT's are faster due to the different gear ratios (a whole extra gear in there!!!). But don't discount the reliability of the AT tranny in our cars, upgrade potential, and convenience... Let's not make this into a 6MT vs 5AT thread, that's been done already.

Cheers. Marry X-mas everyone and a Happy New Year.

See all you SoCal people on Saturday.

Gurgen

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gurgenpb on 12/24/03 07:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 12-24-2003, 11:57 PM

No one should take what I posted as Anti-coupe. I really like BOTH cars a LOT and it was a hard decision for me, which speaks volumes for the coupe given the price difference and the many advantages the sedan holds in important areas. That I would have come close to spending many thousands more for the coupe just emphasizes what a fine car I think it is.

However, I stick to my original post - When comparing like transmissions there is no real difference in 0-60 performance, and not enough in any other performance areas to matter to me. I wish I could justify owning one of each, and maybe a 350Z to boot! ; )

Old 12-25-2003, 12:31 AM

zorro,

I don't agree with your statement..."The funny thing is this is never brought up in the coupe forum ."

Please check out this thread as well as the one Gurgen referenced.

https://g35driver.com/forums/showfla...sed&sb=5&part=

DaveO

Old 12-25-2003, 12:50 AM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A) This has been brought up far more in the coupe forum than in the sedan forum. After 8 months here, I can say that with confidence.

B) We sedan owners aren't trying to "justify" our purchases. I researched my butt off and arrived at the most logical conclusion for me. If anyone on this board would like to question my intelligence and ability to make rational decisions, I'd love to hear it.

C) Both cars rock. Simple. I hear far more "bashing" from one side of the aisle than the other, and it really is starting to get to me. If anyone is trying to justify, it certainly isn't the demographic that 1) is older, 2) has a higher annual household income, 3) has a general higher education level. I believe that doesn't necessarily hold true-and-fast on this forum, as I've met PLENTY of awesome people in both cars, but as a general cross-section of the NA sales, that's how it breaks down. This, all according to Infiniti. I've long since forgotten the report in which I read this (WSJ?), however if you wish to not believe it, you are more than welcome to.

Much G-love to ALL. And... MERRY CHRISTMAS!

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Coupe feels slower than my Sedan