G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Possiblely new G35 owner, need help! please chime in!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2007 | 11:44 PM
|
Possiblely new G35 owner, need help! please chime in!

hey all, i'm having a very big dilemma and i would seriously appreciate any advice and information i could possibly help.

well first off let me start off by saying im 18, turning 19 in a few weeks (may 27th) and i am currently driving an infiniti FX35 (AWD, Canadian model). my dilemma starts because my dad thinks its time i get my own car, because right now im driving my moms car...well not really but kinda. she doesnt drive, well hasn't in the past year (personal choice, after our cars were stolen), so when we got the fx35 again, she basically said here you can take it because i dont want to drive...seems pretty amazing and i was fully grateful for that.

well yea so heres the problem. my mom is taking the car back, well shes actually going to trade it in for a new car (rav4 or CRV...she doesnt want an expensive car anymore) and my dad wants to get rid of his '06 M35x, because he wants the new '07 535xi. basically he told me he will give me his M35x, to either keep or trade in for something of my choice....and immediately it came to my mind (g35...my dream car). i was already saving up for one (have around $30,000 cash to get one), but he insisted saying i should save my money later in my life after university.

my options (to keep my insurance costs down somwhat) either a 2007 infiniti g35 sedan (either X, or sport), or 2006 infiniti g35 (x, or 6MT).

i know some will say getting the 07 would be better, but im kind of big on modding, plus the 06 has been a dream car of mine since it first came out. the 07 is straight up ridiculously fast out the door, but the 06 is fast enough already for me, plus im not a huge speed demon.

i really want to get an '06 g35 6mt, but since ive been driving the fx for so long ive fallen in love with the exhaust. what exhaust options are there for the 06 6mt sedan? one of the main reasons i would perfer the g35 6mt over the g35x is because i heard you cant lower the g35x, and also since its AWD it would restrict the types of exhausts you can put on.

as for the rest of the mods, i already have a z tube and jwt pop charger on the fx, which i can take off and put onto the g35 (06, not 07 obviously), plus ive got a good understanding about the VQ35 engine and its mods.

sorry for the semi life story, but any help on this topic would be appreciated to the fullest extent.

yeah i pretty much babbled on for a lot more than i needed to, all i was trying to ask is, what kinds of exhausts run on the 06 g35 sedan (for now lets say the rwd 6mt, not the g35x), would you rather take the 06 or 07, and does the rwd with snow tires handle well in the snow, or would you suggest the AWD (i know im still a young driver, only been driving for 5 years (TYPO! its 3 lol), but ive taken a few driving courses, a couple of those bmw driver course thing, and a few winter driving courses...i feel pretty confident in the winter.)

btw, i know i could have and should have probably used the search button to get some of this info, and i know some or most might bash me for not using it.....my bad, just thought it would have been easier and more organized if it was together.

Thanks!

btw, any FX'ers here, its me from infinitifx.org

Last edited by brown_fv; 05-14-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-13-2007 | 12:29 AM
07 G35 sedan is the best choice, but since the 06 G35 sedan is what you like then let's start with your first question.

I paid $1,000 for insurance for every 6 months.

For exhaust it true that there aren't that many choices for the G35X. So far I think only the Stillen G2 exhaust and HKS rear section will fit on the X. With the rear wheel drive you can have a lot more choices, too many to list.

You can lower the rear wheel drive G w/ all kind of springs and coilovers, but for the X many people on this forum have lower it on 350Z springs, or front 350Z springs & rear G coupe springs and many different brand of springs. It's not that you can't lower the X, it just that no one make front shocks for the X and that is a problem.

If you have a lot of snow where you live then I suggest that you get the G35X. Two of my friends have a G coupe and a G sedan w/snow tires on them and every time we go out driving when it's snowing outside they are always in my rear mirror. Snow tires on a rear wheel drive are great but awd with or with out snow is still better.

Either a rear wheel drive G35 6mt or a G35X, you still have fun with it. You make a great choice choosing the G35 sedan.

Welcome future owner of a G35 sedan.

Old 05-13-2007 | 12:52 AM
|
thanks for the reply.

i am really leaning towards the 2006 model g35 instead of the 2007...stuck between the x and 6mt, but im going to test drive them both when i take the FX in for service this coming thursday.

as for the exhausts available for the g35 sedan, do you know a place where i can get a list? whenever i try looking i always get exhausts showing for the g35 coupe...unless they can fit on both the sedan and coupe. the thing about the exhaust, would it be possible to fit a nismo exhaust on the g35x? because quite a few FX35 and FX45 have nismo exhausts (full system, with y-pipe, 6 inch extension, and extension of the tips i believe) on their FX's (some RWD, but FX45 is AWD), so would it fit on a g35x?

i live in canada so we do get quite some snow, but i live in toronto so its not that bad. having the FX in the winter with the stock 18inch tires was no walk in the park though...AWD helped but the tires didn't have that much grip in the snow anyways.

as for the insurance, mine will be astronomical compared to what you're paying. my sister is 22 driving a rav4 and her insurance is around $400 a month. no accidents, no tickets. im sure mine will be even more than that since im soon to be 19 with a "sports sedan". on the FX right not its not bad at all because my mom was put down as the primary driver(even though she didnt drive since it was stolen) and i was put under secondary so i was only paying around 100 a month.
thanks.

Last edited by brown_fv; 05-13-2007 at 12:57 AM.
Old 05-13-2007 | 02:20 AM
The Nismo exhaust will not fit on the sedan. It made for the coupe and 350z but can be modify to fit on the fx. Try looking at www.stillen.com and www.optauto.com they have some exhaust listed on the site for the sedan.

I have an 06X and I like it. I have Stillen G2 exhaust on the car and it sound really good.

One thing I hate about the X is that it burn a lot of gas. Last night took it out for a night ride about 50 miles trip driving at 000 speed and the car consumed almost 5 gallons of gas. I'm paying like $3.60 per gallon for gas right now. It was like $2.80 a few weeks ago.

Old 05-13-2007 | 03:26 AM
Keep the M35.

Old 05-13-2007 | 03:39 AM
Originally Posted by bbug
Keep the M35.
I was thinking the same too, but since he like the G35 better. So I just try to help him out a bit.

Old 05-13-2007 | 11:53 AM
+1 on keeping the M35, it is a much better car than the G

Old 05-14-2007 | 08:56 AM
If you can afford to have a money pit, get the G. It's a great car when everything works.

Old 05-14-2007 | 11:17 AM
|
Originally Posted by GIHDMR2
If you can afford to have a money pit, get the G. It's a great car when everything works.
well trading in the M i would obviously get some cash back, plus i have a lot of cash piled up if i wanted to buy my own car, id save most of it but invest some into the G.

since it would be an 06, probaby an front aero lip, maybe some new skirts and a new rear bumper. id prolly like to have it lowered so 350z springs in the front and g coupe springs in the rear...does that work? probably hit up some oem 19's or something....

HKS rear section exhaust, coupe mid pipe (is it necessary for an 06, does it still have weight reduction?, maybe a new Y pipe if it'll fit with the AWD. id transfer out my JWT popcharger from my FX to put in the g, as well as the ztube. either a crawford plenum or 1/2" spacer, crank pulley, maybe headers later on....if i really have the need for speed maybe F/I later down the road...

Old 05-14-2007 | 02:55 PM
|
alright, i think im going to keep the FX. give the m35x to my mom to trade in for whatever she wants, that way i can still keep the FX...i love that car.

Old 05-14-2007 | 02:58 PM
Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

I'm trading my G in for a Corolla.

Old 05-14-2007 | 03:06 PM
|
im 18, turning 19 in 2 weeks.
i hope this doesnt turn into one of those threads about age & cars lol

Old 05-14-2007 | 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by GIHDMR2
Can you elaborate on what exactly was wrong with your car?

Old 05-14-2007 | 05:20 PM
Grocery getter
Premier Member
Originally Posted by noooorb
Can you elaborate on what exactly was wrong with your car?

+1

I have been happy with mine.

As for this thread you need to go drive each one and decide for sure.

There are tons of mods for the 6MT sedan. See the link in my sig for most of them.

Your 6MT exhaust options are

-Stillen
-Borla
-HKS rear section
-Fujitsubo

I think there is one or two more out there that are not popular.

Old 05-15-2007 | 12:58 AM
well so far,

-I've had to replace the transmission because 2nd gear was gone. It's been 1000 miles and starting to get notchy again in 2nd.
-The gauge cluster had to be replaced because of a short
-The wiper motors had to be replaced
-The radio has been replaced, however I still cannot listen to the radio while the defroster is on
-Every time i start the car in the morning i get a grinding noise for a half second
-The suspension squeaked, they fixed it, it now squeaks again 500 miles later
-The clutch and flywheel needed to be replaced at 60K
-Both of my doors rattle, they fixed it, back to rattling again after 500 miles
-My navigation freezes periodically
-The inside of my door is bubbling under the paint from rust

Thats all i can think of off the top of my head. Quite honestly, I'm sorry I ever purchased this car. It has 60100 miles on it right now and I've spent close to 800$ in the first month of owning it. I was being serious about trading it in for a corolla lol.

There are people on here who love the G and can live with its faults. However, to me, I don't think I should have that many problems with a car that has been maintained meticulously and costs that much. For people with deep pockets who don't care about repairs, then its a GREAT ride. But for me, I like to get value for my dollar.

Either way its ultimately your decision. This has just been my experience.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Possiblely new G35 owner, need help! please chime in!