G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

rattling noise on 04 sedan ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 11:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have an 04 with 23k. I get new rattles all the time. So far every single door and speaker has rattled, the rear shelf, the roof liner, the sun roof, the window seals, the rear view mirror, the passenger seat, the seatbelt latch.

I'm serious, I'm ACTUALLY considering trading her in just for a car that doesn't rattle. Isn't that sad? ...Of course I'd trade her in for an 05 G35

Drove a loaner 2004 5AT last week and it was rock solid, no rattles at all. Made me cry.

Old 02-07-2005, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOTH of the door panels on my 05 rattle! It is driving me insane. Can't wait until my first oil change...don't have the time to make two separate trips.

Old 02-07-2005, 03:18 PM
I have a 04 with 4000 miles now. There is an annoying "squeak" from the rear speaker panel. Dealer fixed it at the 3750 service. They said it's a common problem with G owners and there is a TSB on it.

Old 04-14-2005, 10:16 PM
The squeak from the rear deck started around 4000 miles. I had to take my car in twice. The first time they installed insulation on finisher panel??? and insulated the seat belt sockets. Didn't last more than 2 miles away from the dealership. The 2nd time they resecured all mounting bolts for the rear seat back support brace.

Life is sooo much better now. The noise was driving me crazy!

Old 04-15-2005, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by doogie
I have an 04 with 23k. I get new rattles all the time. So far every single door and speaker has rattled, the rear shelf, the roof liner, the sun roof, the window seals, the rear view mirror, the passenger seat, the seatbelt latch.

I'm serious, I'm ACTUALLY considering trading her in just for a car that doesn't rattle. Isn't that sad? ...Of course I'd trade her in for an 05 G35

Drove a loaner 2004 5AT last week and it was rock solid, no rattles at all. Made me cry.
Why reward a manufacturer that produces a vehicle that is not as well made as it should be. Either have them fix the car under warranty, or see some of the DIY fixes in this website or SCREWEM. Buy a better made car. The new Lexus IS will be out next year and from everything I have read, should be an awesome vehicle. It does not have as much HP as the G but should be a quick and enjoyable vehicle with proven build quality. I have not heard of a Lexus that has quality issues and rattles but the G has had ongoing rattles since 2003 and still has them in 2005. Ifiniti/Nissan is not going to fix these things until sales go down. They are riding high and really don't give a damn about the customer( corporate wise). The dealers care and attempt to give good service but are not going to take the time to make these rattles go away using procedures that differ from thyier service bulletins. And judging by some of the DIY posts , it takes awhile to get rid of these pesky rattles. After my experience with Infiniti corporate and my 2003 I35 and the rattles in the G, This is my last Infiniti/Nissan product and,although I ebjoy driving it and overall performance, you may see it listed on some autotrader websites.

Last edited by G35sedanman; 04-15-2005 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by G35sedanman
Either have them fix the car under warranty, or see some of the DIY fixes in this website or SCREWEM.
I posted some DIY fixes myself because, well... option 1 doesn't work. option 3 can't happen until my lease is up. I had to get very creative to fix some of the rattles in this car, it seems like every time i fix one, I get another. Right now my biggest peeve is still the clicking driver's seat. I came from driving a VW (that just so happened to be a lemon and was bought back from me by VW of America) and it had way less rattles than this.

I love this car, I love the way it drives, but I still stick with my original statement; the rattles and clicks and pops in this car absolutely destroy the experience for me. I wouldn't mind so much if they were just rattles in the door which I have now fixed, or a rattling wire behind the mirror; fixed, or the headliner rattling against the windshield; fixed, or the rattling hood support; fixed, or the colliding wires from the window regulator; fixed. Where my beef lies is with the constantly vibrating spring in the passenger seat belt fastener next to the center console - been there since day 1 with "unable to reproduce" at the dealer, and a clicking / popping drivers seat which feels like i'm sitting on bubble wrap. - also "unable to produce" at the dealership - kind of ironic since just SITTING in the seat makes it pop and groan and click.

Anyways, I'm done venting now. Love the car, hate the noise. BUT that's what I get from buying a car based on performance and numbers alone.

Old 04-15-2005, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by doogie
I posted some DIY fixes myself because, well... option 1 doesn't work. option 3 can't happen until my lease is up. I had to get very creative to fix some of the rattles in this car, it seems like every time i fix one, I get another. Right now my biggest peeve is still the clicking driver's seat. I came from driving a VW (that just so happened to be a lemon and was bought back from me by VW of America) and it had way less rattles than this.

I love this car, I love the way it drives, but I still stick with my original statement; the rattles and clicks and pops in this car absolutely destroy the experience for me. I wouldn't mind so much if they were just rattles in the door which I have now fixed, or a rattling wire behind the mirror; fixed, or the headliner rattling against the windshield; fixed, or the rattling hood support; fixed, or the colliding wires from the window regulator; fixed. Where my beef lies is with the constantly vibrating spring in the passenger seat belt fastener next to the center console - been there since day 1 with "unable to reproduce" at the dealer, and a clicking / popping drivers seat which feels like i'm sitting on bubble wrap. - also "unable to produce" at the dealership - kind of ironic since just SITTING in the seat makes it pop and groan and click.

Anyways, I'm done venting now. Love the car, hate the noise. BUT that's what I get from buying a car based on performance and numbers alone.
I just bought my wife a VW Passat Diesel. It has rattles in the roof liner behind the sunroof, in the door near the lock button/window and sometimes over the speedo console. It is going back a second time this satuday and the car has 500 miles on it. It really does take away from the experience. I was thinking of trading my G(getting porked on value) but making it up with the diesel fuel savings but informed the dealer not to hold the unit they were saving for me as I am not happy with my experience. Maybe I really need toyota/scion or lexus. It just seems that the old reliable companies are not reliable any longer...honda as an example.

Old 09-21-2005, 10:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Over the last month, I've started noticing a rattle or clunking noise. First noticed it last month, then blamed it on golf clubs in the trunk.

Forgot about it, then noticed it again about a week ago when I had the stereo out. Seems to either be coming from the left rear tire area, or from the driver's seat. Noise can be hard to isolate sometimes.

Nothing loose under the seat or rolling around in the trunk. Who knows how long it has been happening, since it is at least partially masked by the CD player.

I'll probably schedule an appointment sometime next month.

Old 09-21-2005, 11:06 PM
i have a 04 and have rattles up the ying yang, window/center console.

Old 09-22-2005, 12:51 AM
Many many rattles on my 04

Old 09-22-2005, 04:46 AM
1) Had a squeak in the rear deck fixed.
2) Had squeaks in all four door panels fixed.
3) Dealer has attempted to fix a rattle in the sunroof twice so far (rattles regardless of its position) -- tomorrow will be attempt #3.
4) Have an annoying rattle coming from the center console somewhere. Dealer couldn't find a problem. I finally figured out that it's coming from the shift boot when it's in 5th gear.
5) Dealer will be fixing rattling (rocking) drivder's seat tomorrow.
6) Have a weird clunk sound coming from right-rear suspension or wheel when going over sharp bumps.

Old 09-22-2005, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by Fireball
1) Had a squeak in the rear deck fixed.
2) Had squeaks in all four door panels fixed.
3) Dealer has attempted to fix a rattle in the sunroof twice so far (rattles regardless of its position) -- tomorrow will be attempt #3.
4) Have an annoying rattle coming from the center console somewhere. Dealer couldn't find a problem. I finally figured out that it's coming from the shift boot when it's in 5th gear.
5) Dealer will be fixing rattling (rocking) drivder's seat tomorrow.
6) Have a weird clunk sound coming from right-rear suspension or wheel when going over sharp bumps.

Regarding 6, ask the dealer to check your stabilizer links. I have 37k miles. Had my right one changed at 15k and 36k. Just had the left one changed. It's all good now. My 2nd time in with the drivers' seat seems to have solved that problem. Also had the right rear window TSB, drivers' window motor changed and wires taped and isolated, front right door pannel quieted. Did the mirror vibration myself.

She's all secure now and I'm lovin' it!!!!!!

Old 09-24-2005, 08:59 AM
My 2004 with 7k has a very annoying rattle from the drivers side a/c vent (between the dash and the door). The dealership replaced the vent - still rattles. If I shove a napkin inbetween the vent and closed door - the rattle stops. I have tried to tighten myself, still no luck. Its annoying but I am going to stay on top of the dealership to fix right!!!

Old 09-26-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by 04_G35XPN
Regarding 6, ask the dealer to check your stabilizer links. I have 37k miles. Had my right one changed at 15k and 36k. Just had the left one changed. It's all good now. My 2nd time in with the drivers' seat seems to have solved that problem. Also had the right rear window TSB, drivers' window motor changed and wires taped and isolated, front right door pannel quieted. Did the mirror vibration myself.

She's all secure now and I'm lovin' it!!!!!!
Thanks for the pointer. I'll have the dealer check that the next time the car's in the shop.

On another note, the sunroof rattling turned out to be the right rear window. It sounded like the noise was coming from the sunroof until I sat in the front passenger seat while the service advisor drove the car. Turned out that the felt glass seal tape was torn (from the factory). They replaced the tape and everything is now fine.

I'm beginning to wonder if something happend to my car prior to me purchasing it (I picked it up the day after it came off the truck). The right rear door opens with a clunk sound (it closes fine though), there's that clunk sound from possibly a sway bar link in the right rear, and the felt tape in the window channel was torn. Hmm...

Old 09-26-2005, 09:50 PM
I have a 04 sedan, the whole car rattles,terrible design, took the car to dealer about 5 or 6 times just for the driver window rattles in up position (TSB), rattle still there, I gave up, either sell the car or get used to the rattle, I decided to keep the car for now,,,