G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Fixed my roaring (feathering) tire issue on my sedan, run the tires backwards

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cturnbull802
update:

drove home from work in the rain, not heavy rain but steady rain. no noticeable difference in handling what so ever.
yea, now try to make an emergency lane change

Old 08-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Neal376
yea, now try to make an emergency lane change
Not trying to be a smartass, but what difference would that make? The tire is going to channel the water regardless if it's going straight in the rain or turning in the rain. Under lateral g manuvers, the outer shoulder of the tire is what is basically keeping the grip of tire in check.

Even the best tires will give up the ghost if you're going too fast for conditions and traction control and stability control can't save you either.

Last edited by DaveB; 08-09-2007 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by cturnbull802
update:

drove home from work in the rain, not heavy rain but steady rain. no noticeable difference in handling what so ever.
Cool. Last night our 20% chance of rain turned into some seriously torrential rain (2" in hours) in Kansas City. I hopped in my car and drove around on city streets and the highway. The wipers could barely keep up on the highway at 50mph, but the car felt fine. 50mph is faster than I'd go in conditions like that, but the roads were empty and I just kept nudging the pedal a little more. Nothing felt loose or twitchy.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting... I have the same Avon tires with the same noise/roaring issues. The tires have approx. 20k on them and I've considering going with new tires, but I guess I'll give this a try. These tires developed the horrible roaring sound at about 13k-15k miles.

Do I have to dismount them or can I just flip the tires around to the opposite side?

Originally Posted by DaveB
I'm one of the few sedan owners that apparently is experiencing a feathering problem. The problem didn't occur until I put on a set of 215/55R17 Avon M550s (directional tires). The roaring was really driving me nuts. My original plan was to yank the tires off the rim and have the feathered edges pushed to the outside of the rim and then get an alignment to bring the toe in to max. After doing some research about directional tires, I learned that it is entirely fine to run directional tires backwards. The only ill effect is that wet traction in standing water is compromised slightly because more water will be pushed to the front of the tire instead of channeled outwards therefore you need to be more cautiously in wet weather. Also, after 10K miles, the advantages of a directional tires (ie better water channeling) has most likely disappeared because of the reduced thread. My Avons have about 13K miles. I never drive fast in the rain so I'm not worried.

Toyo and Michelin actually recommend running the directional tires backwards to knock down the feathering. They also recommend getting an alignment (duh).

Today I flopped my tires (left rear to right rear and right front to left front). To my amazement, the roaring is TOTALLY gone. Next up, an alignment.

Last edited by ajg35; 08-09-2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by ajg35
Interesting... I have the same Avon tires with the same noise/roaring issues. The tires have approx. 20k on them and I've considering going with new tires, but I guess I'll give this a try. These tires developed the horrible roaring sound at about 13k-15k miles.

Do I have to dismount them or can I just flip the tires around to the opposite side?
I just flip-flopped the tires from side to side which makes the tire run backwards. The other and more expensive option you might was to consider is to dismount the tires and push the inner feather tread block to the outside of the rim. Basically you'd take the driver's front tire and mount it on the passenger side front. Doing that would still allow you to run the tire in the correct direction. The only thing I don't know is if the noise would go away. My guess would be yes.

One thing is for certain, I won't buy these tires again. The tires are really nice, but thier design teamed with our suspension design just isn't a good match. My Avons got noisy at around 5K miles. I rotated them front to back and the noise came back within 4-5K miles. All the noise is coming from the front. It was most annoying when slowing down from 35mph to 0mph.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:08 PM
I'll give it a try... Yeah, i noticed the low speeds, but mine are terrible at highway speeds as well. It did start in the front, but once I rotated them the noise was in the rear but then the front started again, so all four are trashed. The tires were great for the first few months!

Old 08-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Still waiting on that Michelin link.
We are all waiting for the LAST 13 links we asked YOU for Russ.

Seriously, you are the LAST person on this planet Earth to be asking for links for any proof.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by ajg35
I'll give it a try... Yeah, i noticed the low speeds, but mine are terrible at highway speeds as well. It did start in the front, but once I rotated them the noise was in the rear but then the front started again, so all four are trashed. The tires were great for the first few months!
Michigan roads don't help the problem either

Old 08-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
We are all waiting for the LAST 13 links we asked YOU for Russ.

Seriously, you are the LAST person on this planet Earth to be asking for links for any proof.
Anything that can cause a safety issue for someones life and Michelin recommends it, then I want to see the link with this info. It's obvious he lied. I am waiting on a email back from Michelin as I type this with this information.

Oh Jeffy, we post links for you in the past, you just choose to ignore them.

Wow, amazing, guess DaveB had to call in the recruits as usual. lol.

Last edited by G35_TX; 08-09-2007 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Red Card Crew

Anything that can cause a safety issue for someones life and Michelin recommends it, then I want to see the link with this info. It's obvious he lied. I am waiting on a email back from Michelin as I type this with this information.
Post it

Oh Jeffy, we post links for you in the past, you just choose to ignore them.
Who is "we"?? I asked YOU. EXACTLY WHERE ARE THESE "LINKS" you've posted Russ? Where? Exactly? Everyone! Just wait for Russ' reply. I don't even have to wait. I already know it.............
1) "I don't have time to post links. Even though I've wasted like 10 posts being retarded in this thread already"
2) "Search, I've posted them way back in like 1932" "But I can't seem to find them so I guess you have to find them" Apparently if you can't find your own posts, we are somehow able to magicly find them.

Wow, amazing, guess DaveB had to call in the recruits as usual. lol.
No Russ. Dave is a friend. I just noted YOU BEING 100% RETARDED AND EVEN MORE HYPOCRITICAL and decided to show everyone why.

Last edited by Jeff92se; 08-09-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Premier Member

As usual, Jeff causing problems. I will post it once I receive it back from Michelin.

Oh, sorry, but everyone knows you just ignore the facts and links that people give you. I have posted many for you in the past. You aren't even worth my time.

Others here asked DaveB including myself to post the link where this information is. He refused. So we will just have to prove him wrong once Michelin sends that email out. Dave is a butt buddy with you, and he called you as always.

Post it

Who is "we"?? I asked YOU. EXACTLY WHERE ARE THESE "LINKS" you've posted Russ? Where? Exactly?

No Russ. Dave is a friend. I just noted YOU BEING 100% RETARDED AND EVEN MORE HYPOCRITICAL and decided to show everyone why.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:51 PM
Red Card Crew

Who is "we"?? I asked YOU. EXACTLY WHERE ARE THESE "LINKS" you've posted Russ? Where? Exactly? Everyone! Just wait for Russ' reply. I don't even have to wait. I already know it.............
1) "I don't have time to post links. Even though I've wasted like 10 posts being retarded in this thread already"
2) "Search, I've posted them way back in like 1932" "But I can't seem to find them so I guess you have to find them" Apparently if you can't find your own posts, we are somehow able to magicly find them.

As usual, Jeff causing problems. I will post it once I receive it back from Michelin.

Oh, sorry, but everyone knows you just ignore the facts and links that people give you. I have posted many for you in the past. You aren't even worth my time.

Others here asked DaveB including myself to post the link where this information is. He refused. So we will just have to prove him wrong once Michelin sends that email out. Dave is a butt buddy with you, and he called you as always.
Russ, go back into the fantasy land from which you seem to live and leave reality to the rest of the adults. k?

Old 08-09-2007, 02:52 PM
Bad Toro
Guys,

Play it nice. First and LAST warning.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Premier Member

Take your personal attacks somewhere else Jeff. You are ruining this topic like usual. Stay on topic.

Nah, you actually need to act like a adult. We are asking for the link where he found this Michelin information. So we are still waiting.

Russ, go back into the fantasy land from which you seem to live and leave reality to the rest of the adults. k?

Old 08-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by SPEEED
Guys,

Play it nice. First and LAST warning.
Just saw this..no problemo.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fixed my roaring (feathering) tire issue on my sedan, run the tires backwards