G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35x with clicking / springing / popping sound in rear brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35x with clicking / springing / popping sound in rear brakes

Hey Folks -

Haven't posted in a while as I've been quiet on the G35 front ...

However!

I recently had my Front (8K miles) and Rears (3K miles) pads replaced. They resurfaced the rotors, changed pads all under the extended 36K warranty.

About a month ago, the rears started making a weird crackling, popping, springing noise when I applied slight brake pressure at very low speeds. Also, this seems to happen more frequently when the breaks are warm. What's even more weird is that the noise seems to alternate sides, left to right, with every revolution of the wheel.

I brought it to the dealership. The dolt who I have had problems with called me 3 hours later - He started right away with "You have coupe wheels on there? And where did you get those tires?" That moron. They are all 18" coupe wheels with the same offset and the tires are SPEC sized tires (KUMHO's). Next line: "We can't hear the noise, we took everything apart, and I looked at it - everything looks great". I just laughed, picked up the car and shook my head. I hate dealing with this guy - it's not even worth bringing it up. I had my wife with me when I picked it up. We drove out of the lot, made it 2 blocks, and I asked her to roll down her window. She laughed hysterically -- you could here the clicking sound coming off the buildings. It was LOUD.

I took it to my mechanic a couple days later who's worked on all my cars (including my Pathfinder, Max, etc) and is aces. He looked at it and laughed -- "No way they did the job right. They put new pads on those rotors? No way!". I looked at the rotors with him, it's true, they were badly grooved and a pretty good size lip on them had developed. I know our cars EAT brakes, but that's not something that happens that quickly!

I've done searches across the boards and can't find anything like it.

I am bringing the car back to the dealer tomorrow AM and having one of the two techs I trust drive with me in the car to have him hear it.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks all!

Old 08-09-2007, 09:15 AM
Also found quite a bit on "clicking axle" ... and brought it up w/ the dealership this morning. They may do that TSB if there isn't anything wrong with the brakes.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:11 AM
Problem fixed ...

Replaced rotors and pads. Yah, those brakes were FINE!

Old 08-15-2007, 11:54 AM
same thing

Hey jer. I am having excactly the same issue after a recent brake "job" by my dealer. Did they get your popping noise fixed? I am having to take my car back again since the first axle lube didn't work. Just wondering if your dealer had found the actual fix.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:43 PM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Guys today i was backing up into my driveway pretty fast and turning i applied the brakes pretty hard it sounded like something snapped, I got out looked everything fine, I retried it wouldnt do it again WEIRDD =[ 06 g35x

Old 06-05-2011, 10:29 PM
So new rotors seemingly resolved this issue!? I'm Gavin the same clicking when applying the brakes. No noise at all when shifting my car into D or R. (I also don't get any noise with my car in tiptronic)

Old 06-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I had the same issue..

tackled the brakes this weekend. Ordered new rotors and pads. Unfortunately, the messed up rotors were the result, not the cause.

My cause, 1 caliper's slide pin had completely seized in the intermediate bracket. It would not allow the caliper to self-center and as a result, the only pad making contact when i applied the brakes was the inner pad where the piston pushed it against the rotor. The other pad had slight wear, but barely touched the rotor..so when i hit the brakes, the entire caliper would ****. All sorts of sounds were coming from it since the inner pad had worn down to the backing plate

Other side was fine, replaced the rotor and pad and lubed everything up. No abnormal wear on existing parts...so this side was fine.

Had to order new caliper. $47 for a reman off Rockauto.com. Should be here this weekend. For now, i took the "good" rotor and pads from the other side and put them on the side with the bad caliper. It's quiet and stops fine, but the caliper is still messed up.

I'll take some pics this weekend

The following users liked this post:
hi-tek22 (06-07-2011)
Old 06-07-2011, 09:07 PM
I just ordered some (stoptech) powerslot slotted rotors, and some hawk HPS pads for the rear...We will see this weekend if this noise goes away permanently. I know for a fact that my caliper isnt locked or seized up.