G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Having trouble with tail light overlays-Atlanta area

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having trouble with tail light overlays-Atlanta area

Does anyone have some tips on how to apply the rear overlays to outside tail lights? I did the reverse lights perfect, because they are flat. I am having trouble rounding the outside of the outer lights and getting the tint to lay flat.

If you are in the Atlanta area and are good at applying the overlays, I would love to pay you to do mine.

Thanks for the help.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:49 PM
Well, I'm gona do mine over the weekend, and I've been reading up on instructions. Unfortunately, I can't find the link to them but from what I remember, most people used a bucket of warm soapy water to dunk the overlay in. Once you have the overlay on the lights, make sure the edges are alined, then with a credit card wrapped in a towel, slowly squeegee the water inside out. For the edges you need a hairdryer to stretch the overlays. If you have any airholes, poke it with a tiny needle/pin. If you got bluebatmobile's overlay, he has the instructions with it and the overlays are awesome~

Old 11-14-2007, 12:00 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
it seems easy - but for me it is not!!! I had a vinyl graphics installer do mine... and actually sent clear corners to Andy (bat) to do after I botched 'em (thanks Andy!).

I would suggest finding someone in your area that does this kind of thing... possibly clear bra installer.

I've seen some pretty crappy do-it-yourself jobs... BTW I've had my headlight and taillight overlays (bluebatmobile) for 2.5 yrs - they have held up great!

Old 11-14-2007, 12:17 AM
Official Sponsor of the Florida G35 Club
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by k@osx71
Well, I'm gona do mine over the weekend, and I've been reading up on instructions. Unfortunately, I can't find the link to them but from what I remember, most people used a bucket of warm soapy water to dunk the overlay in. Once you have the overlay on the lights, make sure the edges are alined, then with a credit card wrapped in a towel, slowly squeegee the water inside out. For the edges you need a hairdryer to stretch the overlays. If you have any airholes, poke it with a tiny needle/pin. If you got bluebatmobile's overlay, he has the instructions with it and the overlays are awesome~
There's an install guide in my Gallery as well . Cant wait for the pics!

Bat™

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34653

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y42...yl%20Overlays/

http://auto.badtziscool.com/how-tos/...ight-overlays/

Old 11-14-2007, 02:11 AM
Well I did my clear corner overlays as a practice and I'm pretty proud of myself~ It's the 3 bar overlay by the way... Did the whole leftover wrap around thing so when you see if from the outside, the whole lens is covered entirely~ Now I'm ready for the rear lights, just waiting for a nice weather, which should be this weekend~

Old 11-14-2007, 06:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IgOtMyG
Does anyone have some tips on how to apply the rear overlays to outside tail lights? I did the reverse lights perfect, because they are flat. I am having trouble rounding the outside of the outer lights and getting the tint to lay flat.

If you are in the Atlanta area and are good at applying the overlays, I would love to pay you to do mine.

Thanks for the help.
I took mine to a vinyl sticker shop and had them installed after me and my brother messed up the first set. The guy at the shop told me the trick is to have plenty of help. He said they used 3 people. One on the hair dryer and the other 2 streching in opposite directions.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Thanks for all of the input. Any idea how much I should pay for an installer to do the 2 outer tail lights?

Old 01-20-2008, 04:05 PM
Did you ever find anyone in the Atlanta area to do yours? I did mine and they turned out alright, just a couple places that needed a little work. I think I might get them redone by a pro. Let me know if you found any place.

Thanks,
Keith

Old 01-20-2008, 11:26 PM
I'd be interested in seeing how much people paid at the various shops to have these installed. I've tried installing them twice and failed miserably both times. I was considering taking them to a shop but at the time spent the money on other mods.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
the shop i went to f'd up my rears and then had the nerve to see if i wanted him to do the fronts. WTF!!

Luckily Andy hooked me up with a new set of rears for a reasonable price (THANKS MAN!). A local shop that has done a few other sets wants $60 to put on the front a rears. thats fine with me, bc its too $$ to have to keep replacing them from BlueBat!

Old 01-21-2008, 12:28 AM
I could not do it for the life of me. I used soap and water with a squeegee and a hairdryer. The clear corners and trunk lights were not too hard, but the big tail lights were impossible for me. Im going to get them painted instead...

Old 01-21-2008, 12:55 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
they took me forever to get right. MY first try at it, I destroyed one of the overlays. I bought an extra one of Blue Bat and I tried it again about 2 weeks later. It took me about 3 hours for each tailight. It was alot fo heating, stretching, and working the overlay to get it right. Then, I'd peel it off and start over again. Each time, the overlay was getting better and better and really starting to take the shape I needed.

The end result was good enough for Blue Bat to use my pics on his website, though. Mine is the balck sedan with GTRstyle overlays.

EDIT: I found the pic of my handy work!

Last edited by QuadCam; 01-21-2008 at 12:58 AM.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:35 AM
Official Sponsor of the Florida G35 Club
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
I wish you guys were in SoCal. My installer has installed a ton of my overlays on customers cars down here. Glad it worked out for you. Again, I always offer a discount on extra pieces! I want everyone to be happy campers .

Bat™

Old 01-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Where is your installer? I sorta messed mine up as well....