G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 in snow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 07:44 PM
GSP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 in snow

I live in the northeast and am concerned about RWD cars in snow. The G35 looks great. Reviews sound great. What can I expect in snow and on ice with the tires that come standard on the car. I've always bought FWD vehicles because they are great in winter wheather. A friend has a BMW 5 that is horrible in snow. Ended up buying an SUV so he could get around in winter. Does the g35 have improved handling in snow or is it the same as most other RWD vehicles?

Old 02-22-2003, 07:31 PM
Re: G35 in snow

I'd say it's as bad as other RWD cars.If it's your daily driver you need snow tires.

2003.5 G35 Sedan
2002 Accord V6 Coupe
2003 350Z

Old 02-22-2003, 09:27 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll definitely need winter tires for most snow / ice conditions. Mind you, EdRedS has driven his G sedan all winter here in Edmonton with the stock A/S tires, but he doesn't have to navigate many unplowed roads and doesn't have many hills to ascend. I haven't owned a FWD vehicle since the early '80s and Edmonton has some pretty severe winter conditions, but they've all had winter treads.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
RWD is pretty bad without winter tires starting out, going uphill in slippery conditions, or in deep snow in general. Once you get started, the G is as capable as a FWD if not better because the VDC keeps your tail under control around corners. Hope this helps.

For a great write-up comparing FWD, RWD, and 4WD with and without winter tires, check out this C&D article.

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...inter-traction

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

Old 02-23-2003, 07:06 PM

Live in N.East Canada & changed 17 inch for 16 inch winter tires on all 4 & handling is great. I compared to loaner I35 front wheel drive. On a snowy turn, rear wheels put you back on track with skid control on vs. front wheel drive with I35 or any front wheel drive with skid control will not keep the car towards direction. Front wheel drive will continue straight instead or turning.
Hope this helps!
(believe me, lots of snow here!!)

Old 02-23-2003, 07:23 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Where in N.East Canada?
And welcome to our forum. Tell us about your G and post in our rides section at left.
Tell us more what it's like driving in 'real snow and about your car. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
I live in Cambridge, Ont. about 1 hr west of TO.

<font color=red>Gsedanman</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gsedanman on 02/23/03 04:37 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 02-23-2003, 07:56 PM

Hey Gsedanman! This G35 forum is great. I live in Montreal, thats why I was a little general (Northeast Canada). With all the politics on language, kind of embarassing. Anyways, i got an Ivory, winter weathered package. Believe me, i know very well about winter driving. In the middle of another snow storm today taperred of with freezing rain. Believe it or not, I took my G35 today instead of my wifes I35 because of the rear wheel effecting better turn & staying in control. All 4 winter Good year V threaded 16 inch winter tires. (CDN $980.00 with rims)
I am really surprised how well this car handles itself in winter.
See ya !

max 3

Old 02-23-2003, 08:01 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Max3:
Yes, that's been my experience as well. The G with winter tires works well. Much better than my in-law's I-30 with new A/S tires. Which 16" winter tires are you driving and in what size?

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

Old 02-23-2003, 08:26 PM

Gordgee,
Glad your enjoying your G. I got 4 Goodyear - Eagle UG Gw2
winter high performance tires. Size, i will get you later. Cool website at goodyear.ca Check it out!

See Ya,

max3

Old 02-24-2003, 10:53 PM

I also live in Montreal and have been going through winter here with the stock all seasons. We haven't had a typical Montreal winter, but overall I've been pleasantly surprised by this rear wheeler so far. I agree however that in deep snow paricularly wet snow, and from standing start the car can be difficult to get started, however once in motion the car performs well, and the VDC really helps stabalize the car around curves. The brakes also peform well when an urgent top in needed. One think for sure is that you can forget about spirted driving the first few days after a heavy snow fall. Winter will soon be over, however for the next year I will definately get a set of winters.

Old 02-24-2003, 11:05 PM
O.F. Administrator

Hey dude, That's cool : we've got Max3 in Montreal and Max 0303 in Montreal. You guys know each other? [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
My Sedan wasn't too bad in the snow with A/S but much better with Snows. My Coupe with summer pilots was dangerous so had no choise there.
Just got dumped on past 2 days and got as much as we had all winter! still not bad . glad to have snows on tho.
hey youngcanuck is in Montreal too. haven't heard too much from him lately tho.
Glad to have you guys. Look forward to hearing more from you.and let's hope Spring's early.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=red>Gsedanman</font color=red>

Old 02-24-2003, 11:18 PM
O.F. Administrator

Missed your post last eve, I craashed early, bro. Glad you like our forum, dude. Everyone is happy here and no fighting like you find elsewhere.
Last 2 days around here (southern Ont) has been as bad as it's been in 2-3 yrs. Hate gettin my G messed up.
You won't find any descrimination here dude, so not to worry.
A little politics, religion, philosophy, movies, funnies, but nothing too stressful, and that's on our Off Topic section. It's all fun anyway. Nobody gets too worried about stuff, but we like talking about our G's and the forthcoming mods this spring. (we hope)
I used to live in the Ottawa Valley (not too far West of you) and the winters there were something too.[img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Let's hope the spring is not too far away dude.
Welcome again bro and post often. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
L8r

<font color=red>Gsedanman</font color=red>

Old 02-24-2003, 11:40 PM

Hey Max, don't know you but hope to bump into you one day (not literally of course). My G is dark Blue with black interior no back spoiler. I live in the east end of town. As mentioned earlier, Montreal has not had very much snow this year, which is not a typical Montreal winter. However past experience has shown that March and possibly early April can be notorious for heavy dumps in this town. Therefore I'm not waving the spring flag yet.