G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Cobb AccessPort for Early Type I sedans (please don't move this!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 02:46 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Ahh, that kind of sucks. Well my car is off the road for the winter so I guess I could do with out it for a while. I wonder what their turn around time is.

Do they give you changeable maps?

Old 10-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
Sweet deal. I've been wanting to do this mod for years. I know you'll give non-sugarcoated review too. I plan on ordering mine late this winter.

- So the throttle response is better overall? Yes it's better. Especially at 2600rpm+ but I've only got a few miles on it. Midrange/high rpm punch is more noticable. BTW I did run it up to 6000-63000 rpm in 3rd repeatedly and was trying to notice a downturn in pull but couldn't notice it. But you know how butt dynos are.

- The sub 3000rpm nanny seems to have lost some of her grasp? Yes, but I haven't had the chance to really push the pedal down just off idle (that's where the big bog is) but so far it's improved. I'll comment further on this when I get a chance.

- Which redline did you get? Actually I didn't request one. But it's higher!

- When ordering, did you give them a run down of your mods? There is a sheet on their site that you fill out and you put which mods you have

- How easy was it to remove the ECU? It looks simple enough. Oh super easy. If you've replaced your in cabin filter, then you're 99% there. Once you access that area, you just unbolt the ecu and unplug the connector. I haven't been in there for awhile and almost sent my TCM to them. hahaha doh (ECU is up behind the glove box)

- Who did you talk to at TS? Their website is a bit flakey when navigating the ECU flash portion of the site. It's best to call when arranging something like this

One good thing, probably the only good thing, about the early ECU is that it seems to adjust better to mods compared to the later model ECUs which really seem to have problems if the air/exhaust flow is increased. The early ECU seems to be dumbed down quite a bit too so the improved performance/response is more apparent, at least according to TS and the reviews I've read. Honestly, I thought there would be more of a difference but I'll give it more time. Again it's rainy here so the humidity isn't doing great things for the review.

BTW and a bit OT, Tony was right about these VQs running like poop when the filter gets a bit old or clogged. My 3 y/o Amsoil dry serviceable filter was looking a bit dirty and I decided to replace it with an NAPA WIX OEM paper replacement. Holy crap. Just putting your mouth up against Amsoil filter and trying to suck in was much harder than the paper filter. The paper filter had hardly any resistance. I put the new filter in and the car seriously felt like it gained 20whp and it's far snappier. I'm just going to buy $12 replacement filters every year I haven't disagreed with ONE thing Tony has said in regards to his findings. Especially once you understand his goals regarding his hp/torque priorities.
Odd, I would have thought the Amsoil would good to go after cleaning? But how long have you had it? It's only good for about 36,000 miles or so I think. If that's the case then you might have run into the end of the service life and it started to get restrictive. I've run a brand new oem panel and ran some old Z oem back to back. You can notice the difference. I'll have to look into the Napa filters. I can order those from Fleet filter's website also. I'm running my K&N panel but might throw the stillen back in for kicks and giggles.

4DGS: No selectable maps. It's one flash and you have to run 92 octane. Or if you're in Ca, they tune it for the 91 they can only get down there. Turn around. They got it Monday and it was on my work desk Tuesday before lunch. I sent it usps priority last thursday. Pack it well. I used bubble wrap and packed in a small box. Then put that box into a USPS medium sized flate rate priority box with more packing. With insurance and signature the ship cost was about $25 or so. Depends on your faith in the USPS I suppose. One could always use UPS or FexEx. TS used fedex overnight to me

Last edited by Jeff92se; 10-29-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Oh, I will need them to tune to 91 as well because I don't know a single gas station locally that sells 92. I can get 91(shell) or 94 (sunoco) But that's about it.

Will it knock if I run 94? I normally run 91 from shell because they give 10X the airmiles with Vpower lol

That's quick shipping, wheres the DIY on the removal?

Old 10-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Red Card Crew

Hmm I bet that 94 is pricey! If they tune it for 92, it "might" knock on 91. But it definately won't knock on 94. That's potent stuff.

TS has an ecu removal guide on their site but it's for a Z. Basicly it's the same as the in cabin filter removel as far as gaining access to the area. Might take 20-30 min if you're slow.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I can get to the ECU in about 2 minutes and that's with removing the door sill trim, kick panel, lower dash kick panel, the glove box, and disconnecting the electrical connectors attached to the glove box. It's very simple.

Like Jeff, for years I thought the TCU (behind the passenger side kickpanel) was the ECU

When it comes to shipping, do like Jeff and invest in the appropiates shipping materials and boxes plus insurance. I'm also going to put my ECU in a static resistant bag as well and considering using a small cooler. BTW, USPS is a quality shipper.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Odd, I would have thought the Amsoil would good to go after cleaning? But how long have you had it? It's only good for about 36,000 miles or so I think. If that's the case then you might have run into the end of the service life and it started to get restrictive. I've run a brand new oem panel and ran some old Z oem back to back. You can notice the difference. I'll have to look into the Napa filters. I can order those from Fleet filter's website also. I'm running my K&N panel but might throw the stillen back in for kicks and giggles.
I've probably had it for 30K miles now. It's been cleaned often by blowing 50 PSI air outwards through the filter. The internal pleats were really junked up while the vertical pleats were decently clean.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:30 PM
Red Card Crew

Dave. We need to splice one of these into our TCMs.

http://www.avenger-valkyrie.org/docu...u_product2.pdf

Old 10-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Red Card Crew

Small update on Dave's question:

- The sub 3000rpm nanny seems to have lost some of her grasp?

My original response:

Yes, but I haven't had the chance to really push the pedal down just off idle (that's where the big bog is) but so far it's improved. I'll comment further on this when I get a chance.
Updated today.

Since I had a chance to drive some of the same areas as I've done pre-ecu, I can say that punching it from idle/near idle results in way less lag time than before. I used to punch it, wait a split second and it would take off. Or it would just gain momentum slowly unit hit about 3k and then take off like a rocket. I'd say that lag is cut by at least 75% if not more. There is still a surge at near 3k but it's less pronounced and the surge comes in a few hundred rpm sooner. The pull is much more linear and satisfying thoughout the rpm range. As it pulls from the low/mid/high, it's alot less "trashy". The 3.5 VQ isn't exactly the smoothest when it hits the high revs but this ecu really seems to help in that regard. I could be wrong but it think it actually quieted the exhaust down in the mid/high range. I'll keep the thread updated as I get more miles on it.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Red Card Crew

Another small update. When I put the ecu back in the Nav mpg started at about 16mpg and slowly made it's way to 18 or so. It was 19.x before the reflash. So I'll put a new tank of gas in today and track next week. I'm not really expecting better mileage but I've read that some have experienced better mpg during cruise situations. But dammit, I can't keep my foot out of it. The low end improvement is too nice.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Sweet update. Those are the two things I want to improve on this car. The sub 3K response and the 6000rpm+ acceleration/feel. I love this motor, but after driving my prior VQ30, you wouldn't think these motors were related when it comes smoothness. The VQ30 was glass smooth at all rpms. The VQ35 feels like a truck motor in comparison. It's not horrible, but it doesn't have near the refinement. Revving the VQ30 to 7200rpms was a joy whereas I tend to get my foot out of it on VQ35 as I approach 6000rpms because it feels so rough and quite mechanical.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:56 PM
Red Card Crew

Update. MPG has climbed back to where it was before the flash! For me that's about 19.x or low 20.x mixed driving. My current tank might be even better. Will advise. But more important info.

The ecu's differences are still very apparent. The low end pull is great along with the improved mid/high end pull. But getting rid of the annoying just off idle lag was the most important part.

As you know Technosquare had their dyno day Oct 18th and had special pricing for their L-spec and F-spec flashes:
F-Spec (Full Spec)
Full Timing map Control (advance/retard)
Full fuel map AFR Control (lean/rich)
Full Throttle Body Control/Improved response (TB will no longer auto-close during Full WOT when gas pedal is down and near redline)
Rev Limit increase +500 RPM over factory setting
Speed limiter deletion (Factory Setting: 159mph)

L-Spec (Limited Spec)
Full Throttle Body Control/Improved response (TB will no longer auto-close during Full WOT when gas pedal is down and near redline)
Rev Limit increase +500 RPM over factory setting
Speed limiter deletion (Factory Setting: 159mph
An associate of mine that works with TS said he would be willing to ask TS to extend their dyno day pricing to about 5 members that are interested. I'll start the list:

1) Dave B
2)
3)
4)
5)

I'll take the list and see if TS would honor their pricing.

I'm posting this here as the early sedan guys have no reflash options except TS. If the 5 spots can't be filled by interested sedan guys (early or late), I'll post again in the tuner section.

TS info:
dyno day(shows pricing), ecu removal and ecu fill out sheet
http://www.technosquareinc.com/index.html

General ecu and faq informtion here:
http://www.technosquareinc.com/nissanflash.htm

Last edited by Jeff92se; 11-13-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks for trying to get this group rating going, Jeff. Tell Cheston thanks too.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:20 PM
Where is technosquare located? Or is this a send away ECU mod? If it is I'll add myself to the list.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wait a minute, so if our car has a doggydoor itcannot be supported by utec?

mines an 03 no doggy door, will utec work?

Old 11-14-2009, 04:10 PM
Red Card Crew

Technosquare is in Ca. Yes you have to send it in unless you can drive there.

And yes, early G35 sedans have the light grey ecu connector. UTEC doesn't have a plug and play connector for it. Neither does Emanage, Greddy etc etc etc. UpRev can't reflash the early ecus either.

Now you can hardwire to use the aftermarket ecus like UTEC but that's an involved and complicated process

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cobb AccessPort for Early Type I sedans (please don't move this!)