G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G#% & snow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G#% & snow

I am presently considering a lease for a G35 sedan....in Chicago. I absolutely love the car, but I'm concerned about driving in snow. My current lease car is a FWD Passat GLX and it's fine in the snow. It's been years since I've driven a RWD car in the snow. I desperately need advice on whether the G35 sedan with standard all-season tires is acceptable in the snow. I need to make a final decision by the end of the month and I value your input more than the salesman at the dealership. Thanks.

Old 03-17-2004, 03:51 PM
Re: G#% & snow

Why not get the G35x AWD sedan??

Old 03-17-2004, 03:59 PM

I agree, get a G35x. I have one and couldn't be happier, even in the snow with stock all-season's.

Old 03-17-2004, 04:03 PM

I should have mentioned earlier.....the AWD package just pushes my budget too far. Do you have experience with a RWD G35 in the snow ? If so, are you using the regular all-season tires from the dealership ? I've read some threads from Canadian drivers who have talked about getting dedicated snow tires & rims. That may be a solution, but it seems kind of "old school" in this day & age.

Old 03-17-2004, 04:50 PM
Premier Member

I live in the North Chicago burbs and I drive an 04 G sedan with no problems. Funnily, I used too have a 1.8T Passat a few years back. Back too the G, I put a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on mine that helped a lot, but will probably get a set of dedicated snows/rims for next season. Other than that no problems, just take it easy (RWD) and consider a set of winter tires/rims.
Oh, and the Eagle's that come with the car, the A/S ones are not a great tire.

Old 03-17-2004, 06:57 PM

if you get the 6MT sedan with the performance tires, they are pretty much useless in snow, in fact, I kept my car garaged until the snow melted and I still couldn't get anywhere in the slush

get snow tires

2003.5 Brill. Silver/Willow 6MT sedan, Premium/Winter/Navigation

Old 03-17-2004, 07:21 PM

I was in a similar situation when I bought my G; I hadn't driven a RWD vehicle since my old RX-7 that I got rid of in 1989 (which would spin out at the mere mention of snow).

I live in upstate NY, and we get alot of snow (120+ inches per year).

The VDC does an excellent job of keeping the back end in line, but it can't perform miracles. It's only as good as the traction provided by the tires. If you drive in snow much, spring for snow tires. I have a dedicated set of rims and high-performance snows, and have been extremely pleased.

If you don't want to store a spare set of tires, you might consider the new Nokain Hakkapellita "WR". It's the first "4-season" tire on the market; unlike all-season tires, it meets the government standard for severe winter service. I haven't tried them, but my father-in-law put them on this year (on a FWD car), and has been very happy in heavy snow -- and he has a 300 foot driveway that goes up a hill. He says they're the best tires he's ever had, and keeps thanking me for recommending them. Plus, I think they have a 60k mile treadwear warranty.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

TurboFish
2004 G35 Sedan 6M -- Diamond Graphite, Graphite Leather, Premium/Winter

Old 03-17-2004, 07:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dedicated snow tires are not "old school" in this day and age. Winter tires are remarkably good -- you can even get high-performance speed-rated winter tires that have decent dry traction these days (though I don't know about appropriate sizes for the sedan).

Some of the better all-season tires tend to be fairly decent in the snow as well. However, the three tire choices that do come on this car do not perform well in the snow. You may want to see how people who have replaced their tires with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S think it handles in the snow.

I believe you can go with 16" steel wheels to cut your costs, which also makes the tires cheaper, if that's a concern. Early cloth model sedans came with 205/65R16 tires. According to what I read, the narrower tires perform better in the snow, anyway.

Old 03-17-2004, 08:12 PM

My 6MT came with the Bridgestone Turanza A/S tires. I bought dedicated snows for the winter, but got tired of driving on them a couple of weeks ago and put the Turanzas back on. It snowed last night and the roads were a bit slippery this morning but the Turanzas did fine. Not like the snows, but good enough to get by.

'03 G35/6MT Sedan Black/Black

Old 03-17-2004, 10:01 PM

I've had my RWD 2004 G35 since Oct 2003 - live in northern chicago suburbs. Compared to my Civic it's been significantly better in the snow. I think LSD helps a lot when it comes to getting going in the snow/wed conditions. I ran the all season goodyears with no problems. Also had a Passat GLS Wagon and it was no better in the snow.

For the few days a year awd is of any use I say just drive carefully - awd aren't going any faster in the snow around here.

Old 03-18-2004, 12:30 AM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even when driving and AWD in the winter, dedicated winter tires makes a night and day difference. AWD and FWD helps with traction starting out or on hills more than anything. With winter tires, I made it up hills that many FWDs had problems with.

<font color=blue>GroundingGear™ Equipped </font color=blue>

Old 03-18-2004, 12:59 AM

I just have to poke and make fun at you east coast guys. Right earlier today it was 83F, sunny, blue skies, and a light breeze.

Old 03-18-2004, 01:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say the best way to travel in the snow is downhill with a pair of K2's strapped to your boots. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-18-2004, 12:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Or a Burton slapped to your feet.

'03.5 Silver AT Sedan, Premium, Aero Kit/Package, Sport, Winter, Stillen Air Box, Z pipe, Polk Tweeters, Clifford RSX 3.5, Gram Light 57F Pro's (on the way), Hotchkis sways

Old 03-19-2004, 05:26 AM

I have an 03.5 sedan with an automatic transmission and the bridgestone turnanza tires. I've driven other RWD cars in the past this car is as good or better than anything else I have driven. I have a feeling that is due to the weight balance being closer to 50/50 than the other cars.

Case in point snow the other day here in Boston and my driveway is uphill. My brother couldn't make it up in his Mustang... G35 no problem. I've driven this car now it's one whole winter. I've had it out in the snow quite a few times and it was absolutely fine. Keep in mind this is a densely populated area and the roadways are kept plowed... which would be the case in Chicago. IMOP having seperate wheels for winter/summer driving is overkill for my area... If I were that worried about it I would have waited for the AWD version.. but I didn't and even if I were buying it new right now I still wouldn't buy the AWD... it's more weight and more power loss

2003.5 5AT Sedan Black/Black Premium/Winter Packages

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G#% & snow