G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Applying Black Out Tape Does Not Come Out Right.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Applying Black Out Tape Does Not Come Out Right.

Can somebody who's done this please post close up photos so i can see how you were able to go around the portion where the rear window curves? I had the first window looking perfect, half of the second window, then came the part where the window curves.

Not only do you have to cut the tape, it's not wide enough so you have to use different pieces to cover everything. It looked so tacky I just took it all off and did the door handles only. I was pretty angry about this. How was it done if you were able to do it?

Old 03-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
Would applying some heat to the tape make it curve better around the turn? maybe?

Old 03-15-2008, 10:26 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
piant it - or wait for bats ovelays...

Old 03-16-2008, 01:04 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I actually tried doing this the other day with electrical tape just for fun to see how it would look. Everything looked nice except that same part on the rear door where it curves down and get's thicker. I ended up having to put 3 pieces of tape to cover it all and I was thinking how it was done with the "black out tape." It looked nice minus that part. Only thing I would suggest is either what they said.. try heating it and stretching it a bit, paint, or wait for bats overlays

Old 03-16-2008, 02:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i personally bought some with the intent of doing it too... but after seeing it done on the white sedan elsewhere in this section of the forum, i decided against it due to the fact that it doesnt match the rest of the door where it's painted and is glossy... far way it looks great, but close up, the combination of gloss and matte black is too distracting and obvious that it was taped over.

im looking into painting it now...

Old 03-16-2008, 11:10 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Painting FTW.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't put tape on your car. Do you really think it looks nice? There is only one car I ever owned that had tape on it, my 1988 jeep wrangler sahara who's many parts were held on by "Alabama Chrome" duct tape.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:17 PM
The trim on the 04-08 TL's are covered in black vinyl, you can pull it off and it'll be chrome underneath. It can look good, if done right. Try find wider tape to cover that curved part.
I agree with dahkyne, I was a bit taken back by the number of people that actually thought it looked good...

Old 03-16-2008, 03:37 PM
Go to a vinyl shop (sign shop) and get it done if you use stickers at all. Im guessing it would cost under $75 and you could get gloss black also. Painting will definitely come out the best, but it is pricey.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGcoupe
Don't put tape on your car. Do you really think it looks nice? There is only one car I ever owned that had tape on it, my 1988 jeep wrangler sahara who's many parts were held on by "Alabama Chrome" duct tape.
I've had electrical tape on my door handles for over 2.5 years now. No one knows it's there unless I tell them. If you do it right, no one knows. I've had electrical tape on my window trim for 2 weeks now and you can see the seams, but none of my car friends noticed until I pointed it out. I will be installing the higher quality black out tape this week and I'm sure I'll get it looking perfect. Lots and lots of BMW and Benz owners use this stuff and have been for years.

I don't want to paint the trim because I know how hard it is to get paint to adhere to chromed plastic. Additionally, I know how hard it is to remove the chrome window trim and this must be done to get good paint coverage unless you choose to air brush it.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Glad i'm not the only one. I don't think heating and pulling will help much. I might just wait for the Bat overlays if he decides to do this. I thought about painting but like mentioned i'm not sure how they would get the paint to stay onto the plastic chrome, not to mention the cost of it would not be worth it IMO. I'm assuming it would run me at least 300 to do all four windows.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:33 PM
other cars (BMW, etc) normally use vinyl that is custom cut to fit (not typically electrical tape)... Modern Image in HB is a place to go (if you are in So Cal)... If I was in the market for something like this I'd wait for Bats overlays...

Painting is a PITA - but it's one of the better options IMO - mine does have a few chips but was good for a couple years... I will have it touched up with airbrush when pending projects are complete... the molding comes off relatively easy but care must be given as to not bend the aluminum... it's not paper thin, but will be ruined if not carful.

I plan to black chrome a set somewhere down the road - I need to buy a whole new set (which is $$$$)... I found a place that can do it, after I painted

Old 04-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Where can you get the black out tape that will work on the exterior chrome trim? Is it paintable?

Old 04-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Heat will make it shrink. Going around the trim with tape or overlays will not be easy.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by ttrank
Heat will make it shrink. Going around the trim with tape or overlays will not be easy.
I think overlays will work pretty well once Andy cuts them to fit... I agree it wont be easy, but for me even applying the taillight and head light (even side markers) is not easy... an experienced installer should be able to get it done well.

The main thing will be the quality of the cut - getting it to wrap around the tiny curve (top & bottom) and snugging up to the rubber seal will be key.

It's a great idea that I think should have been a long time ago.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Applying Black Out Tape Does Not Come Out Right.