G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Battery died over the weekend

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Battery died over the weekend

My battery was completely drained six weeks ago after not driving the car during the weekend. I usually drive the car every single day, even if it's for 15 minutes, because I always have to go somewhere. This weekend I didn't drive it again and my battery was drained, again, even though I put a brand new battery last time it happened. It can't be the battery, as it's a brand new battery. Something's got to be draining the battery. I have not installed anything in the car such as amps and such. Everything is bone stock except a Z-tube and a 06 midpipe, which has no connection whatsoever with my problem.
Has anyone had a similar problem with their car and what did you find to be draining the battery so quickly? I have a 03 sedan, if that makes any difference.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have memory seats? They killed my battery last winter after letting the car sit a couple of days. I turn them off in the winter.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:45 PM
Nope, no memory seats in my car. Mine is as basic as it gets.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:46 PM
My battery died again this weekend. Any help???

Old 04-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you bought the battery, was there a test performed on the car? It might be the generator going bad, and maybe not the battery at all.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:47 PM
I'm having this same problem with my 2003, and I'm doing a little research before I take it back to the dealership, which told me recently when I asked them to check it (sluggish ignition) that the battery was "fine" ... car was dead 2 wks later after not being driven for 5 days, so I replaced battery.

With new battery, the car came up dead (after maybe a month installed? 2 months?) after I was on vacation and didn't drive the car for two weeks. Lights were not set to auto; stereo power was "off."

I'm giving this thread a ttt in case anyone has more ideas to explore. As long as I drive the car daily, the car starts. Guy who jumped it last time said his equipment shows battery is fine and alternator is fine ...

Any ideas?

Old 06-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by kevink
When you bought the battery, was there a test performed on the car? It might be the generator going bad, and maybe not the battery at all.
Modern cars don't have generators, they have alternators. I agree this is what I would look at as possibly being the problem.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by 5150DS
Modern cars don't have generators, they have alternators. I agree this is what I would look at as possibly being the problem.
I almost asked WTH a generator would be doing in a 2003 sedan, then decided to play like I knew what I was talking about ...

Old 06-07-2008, 08:42 PM
It sounds like you have a parasitic draw. To diagnose the problem, follow these steps:

1. Shut off all accessories that can pull power and unplug cell phone chargers, iPods, and the like.
2. Open the hood and close all doors.
3. If there is a light under the hood make sure the hood pin switch is depressed so the light is off.
4. Disconnect the negative cable from the battery.
5. Using a multimeter set on Amperage, connect one lead to the negative battery terminal and the other to the cable you removed.
6. Check for current draw. The draw should be around 2-6 milliamps. If you see any more than that, you may have a draw that is killing your battery.
7. Remove a fuse from the fuse box and retest. Repeat this procedure until you find the draw or run out of fuses to remove.

My guess though is a bad diode in the alternator that results in a constant power draw. Your dealer or an autoparts store should be able to test it.

Last edited by jimrockford; 06-08-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by jimrockford
It sounds like you have a parasitic draw. To diagnose the problem, follow these steps:

1. Shut off all accessories that can pull power including cell phone chargers and the like.
2. Open the hood and close all doors.
3. If there is a light under the hood make sure the hood pin switch is depressed so the light is off.
4. Disconnect the negative cable from the battery.
5. Using a multimeter set on Amperage, connect one lead to the negative battery terminal and the other to the cable you removed.
6. Check for current draw. The draw should be around .02-.06 milliamps. If you see any more than that, you may have a draw that is killing your battery.
7. Remove a fuse from the fuse box and retest. Repeat this procedure until you find the draw or run out of fuses to remove.

My guess though is a bad diode in the alternator that results in a constant power draw. Your dealer or an autoparts store should be able to test it.
Brilliant! This is what I had a hunch was the TYPE of problem I have, I just didn't know how to approach diagnosing it.

Now I have a project! This chick thanks you muchly. Now, where do I send the dozen home-baked "thank you" cookies, if this indeed helps me find the problem??

Old 06-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Mmmm, cookies. That sounds good...

I just realized I made a mistake in my post though. I edited the original but it's still wrong in your quote. The draw should be .002-.006 amps (edited again to prevent confusion) which is 2-6 milliamps. Also, make sure you completely unplug any cell phone chargers or iPods. Even if they are off, they can still draw juice.

Good luck!

Last edited by jimrockford; 06-08-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:13 PM

I just realized I made a mistake in my post though. I edited the original but it's still wrong in your quote. The draw should be .02-.06 amps which is 2-6 milliamps. Also, make sure you completely unplug any cell phone chargers or iPods. Even if they are off, they can still draw juice.

Good luck!
Will do, thx! I just emailed your post to myself so I can more easily print it out for when I'm testing ... but I'll revise what I sent myself so I don't freak out under the hood. (I had to take electricity twice when I was in college, so a few decimal points off re an amp is not a surprising thing for me to not notice as wrong.)

Old 06-07-2008, 11:40 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD

I just realized I made a mistake in my post though. I edited the original but it's still wrong in your quote. The draw should be .02-.06 amps which is 2-6 milliamps. Also, make sure you completely unplug any cell phone chargers or iPods. Even if they are off, they can still draw juice.

Good luck!

it's a good thing she didn't offer fruit :

Old 06-08-2008, 07:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same problem here...It's your radio.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:09 AM
although they are called alternators in the more modern vehicles they technically are still generators. they use a prime mover, the pulley via belt, underdrive pulley, etc, to generate a voltage and therefore current when connected to a load ;p. but besides that my wife has an '03 sedan with the same problem and thanks much for the suggestions on what is wrong. i thought it was something draining her battery but i'm not at home and i can't find my multimeter at home so i couldn't check on my own. xiexie ni .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Battery died over the weekend