G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

60k mile tune up...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 10:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
60k mile tune up...

I hate starting new threads, but for some reason the search function is a pure waste on these forums... I tried searching in ten different ways, but came up with nothing useful, not even in advanced search. Sorry if I'm starting a thread on something that's been covered already.

I have a 2004 G35x and I'm getting kind of close to the 60k mark (56,500 mi to be more precise). I'm looking to do a small tune up and some preventative maintenance work to better my gas mileage cuz God knows this car sucks *** when it comes to mpg... particularly because it happens to be an AWD. So I wanted some opinions on what parts you guys here suggest...

Here are some things I came up with, feel free to let me know what I should remove/ add (keep in mind the car is completely stock and I would like to keep it that way due to warranty purposes):

1) Air filter
2) Fuel filter
3) Spark plugs & spark tubes
4) PCV valve & O-ring
5) Drive belts
6) Radiator drain and refill
7) ATF drain and refill, as well as new tranny filter and pan gasket.

Once again, sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but the search function here did absolutely sh*t for me...

Old 03-27-2008, 11:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I've just recently did the 60K mile service on my G (it's at 57,400 miles), and I did about 90% of the work myself.

1) Yes, change the air filter (esp. if you're on the stock one).
2) No, never need to change the fuel filter. It should last the lifetime of the car.
3) Spark plugs do not need to be changed until 120K miles in our cars, so you have a long way to go.
4) If you are on the original drive belts and notice a squealing noise when the car starts up in the mornings, then yes I recommend changing the belts. You will need to replace two belts, one that runs the A/C and alternator, and another runs the power steering system.
6) Yes, do a drain and refill of the coolant fluid. Not necessary to flush the system unless you are getting major rust deposits from the old fluid.
7) Yes, do a drain and refill of the AT fluid. Refill with only Nissan Genuine J-matic fluid, nothing else. Buy the fluid from the local Nissan dealer, and if you already know how to change your own oil, this should be a piece of cake.

I would also recommend checking/changing the cabin air filter. It is located behind the glove compartment, and takes 10-15 min to change it out. There is a DIY video for it in the DIY video series thread you'll find stickied at the top of this forum.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:15 PM
With the ATF fluid, is it absolutely mandatory to go with Genuine Nissan J-matic or can I find and use something synthetic like Mobil1 Synthetic ATF (which works for Dexron III, Dexron IIIE, Dexron III-H) or like Amsoil Synthetic...?

Another question, will I have to remove and replace 2 qts. in the rear differential? Or is it all drain and refill of the tranny on the AWD G35's...?

And what about the PCV valve... tranny pan gasket & filter, shouldn't those be changed out as well?

Last edited by Naveed2126; 03-27-2008 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a good link for belt change
https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction-diy/117355-diy-power-steering-alternator-air-conditioning-belt-change.html

Here's a link to the DIY video thread
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06/183421-diy-video-series.html

And here is a link to where you can download the PDF's of the service manual so you can ensure you torque everything down to the right specs and you have your belts at the right tension. It should also have maintenance chart (which is also in your owners manual) with everything that needs to be checked or done at various mileage intervals.
https://g35driver.com/forums/faq-diy/107032-sticky-all-2003-2006-g35-coupes-service-manual-pdf-format.html

If you have access to a lift, the right tools and mechanical know how you can easily do most, if not all, of these yourself. I think the only tool out of the ordinary I didn't have was a 10mm hex bit driver for the rear diff and transmission fill and drain plugs. A torque wrench and a tension gauge (for the belts) will also come in handy.

Last edited by Dakkerz; 03-27-2008 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:47 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
Originally Posted by Naveed2126
I hate starting new threads, but for some reason the search function is a pure waste on these forums... I tried searching in ten different ways, but came up with nothing useful, not even in advanced search. Sorry if I'm starting a thread on something that's been covered already.

I have a 2004 G35x and I'm getting kind of close to the 60k mark (56,500 mi to be more precise). I'm looking to do a small tune up and some preventative maintenance work to better my gas mileage cuz God knows this car sucks *** when it comes to mpg... particularly because it happens to be an AWD. So I wanted some opinions on what parts you guys here suggest...

Here are some things I came up with, feel free to let me know what I should remove/ add (keep in mind the car is completely stock and I would like to keep it that way due to warranty purposes):

1) Air filter
2) Fuel filter
4) PCV valve & O-ring
5) Drive belts
6) Radiator drain and refill
7) ATF drain and refill, as well as new tranny filter and pan gasket.

Once again, sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but the search function here did absolutely sh*t for me...
remove # 3
add differential fluid change

inspect #5 for now

have #6 tested for strength..proceed from there, and if you are not in extreme climates, wait a yr or heck do it just in case

change battery--now...don't wait until it goes out at the airport in about 8 months or so.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:16 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
the manual says not to change spark plugs til 105K

dont wait til then. Change them at 60K

You'll thank me

Old 03-28-2008, 04:17 AM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
the manual says not to change spark plugs til 105K

dont wait til then. Change them at 60K

You'll thank me
yeah, if you check the gap after 60k, you'll see it'll be way off

Old 03-28-2008, 08:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bythabay
yeah, if you check the gap after 60k, you'll see it'll be way off
Really? Hmm that's interesting considering I skipped this step when I did my 60k a couple weeks ago since the manual says they are good for 105k. I guess I'll have to go back and check them out. Thanks for the heads up guys.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:09 AM
Spark plugs are not all that expensive, I don't want to wait til I feel a misfire exactly...

Old 03-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Dakkerz
Here's a good link for belt change
https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117355

Here's a link to the DIY video thread
https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183421

And here is a link to where you can download the PDF's of the service manual so you can ensure you torque everything down to the right specs and you have your belts at the right tension. It should also have maintenance chart (which is also in your owners manual) with everything that needs to be checked or done at various mileage intervals.
https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107032

If you have access to a lift, the right tools and mechanical know how you can easily do most, if not all, of these yourself. I think the only tool out of the ordinary I didn't have was a 10mm hex bit driver for the rear diff and transmission fill and drain plugs. A torque wrench and a tension gauge (for the belts) will also come in handy.
Wow i did not even know those threads existed. Thanks!

Old 03-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
With the ATF fluid, is it absolutely mandatory to go with Genuine Nissan J-matic or can I find and use something synthetic like Mobil1 Synthetic ATF (which works for Dexron III, Dexron IIIE, Dexron III-H) or like Amsoil Synthetic...?

Another question, will I have to remove and replace 2 qts. in the rear differential? Or is it all drain and refill of the tranny on the AWD G35's...?

And what about the PCV valve... tranny pan gasket & filter, shouldn't those be changed out as well?
From what I've read and been told by Infiniti service, J-Matic fluid is the only way to go for the G35. No substitutes like Amsoil, Mobil, etc. Otherwise if you put the wrong kind of fluid in, you'll encounter awkward tranny behavior and may run into big trouble down the road which Infiniti won't warranty for fixes. For a drain and refill, expect to use 4 qrts of fluid but for a complete tranny flush, it's about 11-12 qrts. They cost about $11 per quart at the Nissan dealer, not at all inexpensive like engine oil.

Yes, I forgot to mention the rear diff fluid service. It should normally be done around the same time as the tranny fluid. The rear diff fluid is located in the center rear of the car underneath. The drain plug and refill plug are a 10mm hex socket size but both plugs are in separate locations. Just like for the cabin air filter, there's a video for changing the rear diff fluid in the DIY video series thread.

As for the PCV valve, tranny pan gasket and filter, I can't address those things since I've never changed them but if someone else in this forum, please chime in

Old 03-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
The car doesn't have spark plug wires. It has coilpacks?

Old 03-28-2008, 07:39 PM
I believe spark plug tubes are different from ignition wires...

http://catalog.drivewire.com/drivewi...park+Plug+Tube

^ That's just to show you what it is...

Old 03-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The car has coil packs sitting on top of the spark plugs. You don't need to change those just the plugs

Old 03-28-2008, 08:30 PM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i changed my plugs recently and i do advise to change them at 60k. car fills way better now.

i used NGK irdiums got them at kragen for 40 bucks.

Quick question
g35 stock plugs are they NGK's, cause when i pulled my mine out they were NGK platnium.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 60k mile tune up...