G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

First Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Impressions

First Impressions

Gotta write this while it's still fresh...

Just drove some G35 sedans for the first time. First an auto demo that I was free to romp on, then a 6mt to treat in a little more civil manner because it was actually a "lot" car for sale.

Overall impression... very nice car.

What stood out... the motor. What a great piece that thing is. Buckets of torque, pretty seamless in delivery... no real "steps" or holes in the powerband that I noticed. I did go out with the salesman, so had I been alone, I'd probably have listened and felt things a little clearer, but it was good. You could treat it like a grandma and it was refined... treat it like a 16-year-old and it responds. I also liked the relative engine noise levels... sedate driving brings mellow tones, more aggressive driving brings a pleasant growl that is easily heard yet not obnoxious. Strikes me as the proper level of noise.

Shifter. Liked it a lot. Very mechanical feeling, no vague gates or detents. Pretty close to perfect in my book.

Steering was quick enough and steering feel was decent. Body control with the 6mt was pretty good, and ride was decent without being too isolated.

Quibbles... Clutch was a little abrupt-feeling at first. Effort wasn't bad, but the pedal seemed to come back with a bit of force which could make for some sloppy transitions. But I soon got the hang of it and it wasn't bad at all.

Driver's seat. I have to admit it wasn't bad. The seat controls and firm area around them didn't trouble me at all, and I spent about 30 minutes in each car. However, they are relatively flat and not as instantly comfortable to me as the BMW E46 Sport Package seats. But I think they'd be just fine once I ironed out the adjustments.

I also felt like I was sitting a bit high in the car, despite the height setting being all the way down. I'm not fond of the orange gauge markings, but that's pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things. I'd also like a telescoping steering wheel, but my positioning wasn't bad without it.

All in all, a great car. I'd be more than happy with one.

I'm still shopping it against a 325i and the new Subaru Legacy GT, which is due in May, so I have yet to drive that as well. The Rx-8 was #1 (on pure feel and handling) until I sat in the back again and "objectively" rated the space back there (not enough).

In comparison to the 325i, the G is (duh) more powerful. In feel, the 325 with Sport Package feels like it's biased a bit more to the sport side of the equasion, and the 6mt G seems like it leans a little more toward the luxury side, but that's probably just because the dimensions are a little bigger on the G in terms of overall size and weight. I like the handling/steering feel of the 325 a little more, but the G is quite good in its own right.

The little larger interior of the G is also a selling point, as I have a 2-yr-old and maybe another in a year or so.

But what's really hard to ignore is how good a value the G is in comparison. To get the 325i I want (Sport Package, Cold Weather, Xenons, on-board computer), it would sticker at 32.6. The G I would order is a plain-jane 6mt, no options... because it already has them! Sticker at 30.5 because it's already got leather (which my 325 would not), seat heaters, 6-disc changer (another one the BMW wouldn't, although the Alpine MP3 changer is an easy and inexpensive upgrade in the E46), limited-slip diff (quaife would be better) and on-board computer.

Factor in the slightly better warranty and Japanese reliability, and the scales are heavily tipped in the G's favor. Put the BMW Sport seats into the G35 and it'd be NO contest.

But... now I have to have the Mrs. drive the G and weigh in. Independent of her input, I'd probably go with the G. In fact, I was offered a good deal on the 6mt I drove (~500 over invoice) but it had a Willow interior, and I want Graphite because the kids will likely make a mess in it at some point... darker will be better. Should she really not like the G35and want to go with the BMW, I'd be happy too because despite the power disparity, it's also a great car.

But I think the G35 offers a little bit extra in key areas -- power, room, reliability and bang for the buck. Tough to ignore.

Time will tell. :-)

If you're in control, you're not driving fast enough -- Parnelli Jones

Old 04-02-2004, 05:56 PM
Unimaginative, Indecisive User
Re: First Impressions

racerdave... Overall impression... very nice car. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

lol i'll just go ahead and say it in advance. congrats on your new G!

<font color=purple>.g35girl.</font color=purple>

Old 04-02-2004, 07:40 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

When I was cross shopping the G35 to the 3 series I never found any evidence that the sport package on the 3 series included LSD. Even the dealer said the sport package did not include it. Where did you get the info that let's you be sure it does come with the sport package?

www.bmwusa.com/NR/rdonlyres/4F08382C-A753-4AC4-AB8E-3B3E5EB47CDA/0/2004_3series_sedan.pdf?

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 04-02-2004, 08:07 PM

Correct... LSD of any type is unavailable for an E46, even in the aftermarket. It's an achilles heel, IMHO.

Old 04-02-2004, 08:10 PM

Oh... I also need to comment on the brakes. Amazing.

I also didn't find them to be grabby. A little sensitive in the first bit of travel, but not grabby.

Old 04-02-2004, 08:30 PM

I shopped my 5AT Coupe against the 330i, a better comparison I think, and to get even close to the same value (with navigator and heated seats, etc.) I was looking at $45k+ for the beemer, and I've got a history with the BMW. One ride in the G and I didn't even go back to the BMW lot. Not the perfect 50/50 of the BMW and I have to turn on the wipers by myself, but other than that the G won hands down in my mind. Plus, Infiniti gives away the VPP pricing at the drop of a hat, so I drove off in my MSRP G of 38,110 for just shy of 35K. 10k less than the bimmer and IMO looks 10x better to boot.

The CTS didn't come close and the Subaru is the ugliest thing I've ever seen and you have to wonder about the quality and service you'll get. Lexus and Acura didn't come close either. I about fell asleep in the new TL.

Old 04-02-2004, 09:02 PM

How can you get VPP pricing so easily? I'd *love* to be able to walk into my dealer and get that pricing with no dickering. I thought you had to be a "partner" or something with Nissan to get it... and my company is not (although it is with Ford and GM... but a lot of good that does me now)

Good comment about Subaru service. My friend has a WRX and servicing it, even though he has not modded it, is not always fun.

Old 04-02-2004, 10:13 PM

Try looking at freshalloy.com. Grubbs offers VPP to people there although there have been some restrictions on it. I got mine through VPP at my comapny and it was easy although the salesman hated it.

03.5 5AT-S (Black-Willow-Premium-Sport-Aero-GroundingGear™-Silverstars-PIAA-PopCharger-Z Tube-Tint)

Old 04-02-2004, 10:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dave,

Did you post similar impressions on a BMW forum? I'd be curious to see the feedback you'd receive.

<font color=red>chinee</font color=red>
03.5 G35s

Old 04-02-2004, 11:06 PM

Chinee... I hadn't yet. I did send the impression to one former 330 owner who now has a G35. Hadn't heard back yet.

The BMW board I frequent is bimmerfest.com. I have a feeling the reception I get there is a little different than if I went to E46Fanatics. People at b-fest are like the folks here... they like their car, but they don't rail on everything else if you mention it... unlike some of the others.

So... off I go to post to bimmerfest and see what happens. :-)

Old 04-03-2004, 08:15 AM

RacerDave,
My company only advertises that we have it with GM and Ford also. But when I came back from the test drive my salesman wrote a number on the back of his business card and said, guess what? I can get you a VPP and here's what it will be. Bye Bye BMW! Apparently the VPP is pretty loosey goosey and as Grubbs has demonstrated, doesn't really matter where you work.

Old 04-03-2004, 10:51 AM

That would be sweet! I'm going to try and see if I can scare a VPP number or ID up and see what happens. :-)