G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

can the sedan look sharp without a drop?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2008 | 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Konsole
how do the H&R springs compare to the Z-springs/H tech, etc ? I just read the entire "X" lowering thread and my head hurts.

Someone put it to me simply.. whats the least insane drop? I don't want to have to mess with chamber issues.
i have the H&R's w/M45 19's... and it's the perfect drop BUT you will have camber issues. i'd say go w/the Eibach kit for a more tame drop w/less issues.

Old 05-01-2008 | 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by usmcmark
i have the H&R's w/M45 19's... and it's the perfect drop BUT you will have camber issues. i'd say go w/the Eibach kit for a more tame drop w/less issues.

Ok. (Thank you usmcmark) Ill poke around for posts about the Eibach.

Its just less of a drop? Does it still look good? How is the ride?

Any advice on where to buy Eibach springs?

edit: pro-kit.. cool

Last edited by Konsole; 05-01-2008 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-01-2008 | 12:38 PM
^^^The Eibach pro-kit is a 1.0 inch drop all around(the H&R's are 1.2 rear and 1.3 up front), if i remember correctly. these kits only drop & stiffen up the ride just enough to look good & still keep a smooth ride BUT all really depends on your wheels & tires.

Old 05-01-2008 | 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by usmcmark
^^^The Eibach pro-kit is a 1.0 inch drop all around(the H&R's are 1.2 rear and 1.3 up front), if i remember correctly. these kits only drop & stiffen up the ride just enough to look good & still keep a smooth ride BUT all really depends on your wheels & tires.

Excellent. A 1" drop should improve the looks I think. I would like to keep most of the stock feel. With 17" wheels I would think the ride would be better than with larger ones correct?

I have two sets of 17" wheels and I don't plan on changing that. I don't want to fiddle with too many things. I think the car handles better with smaller wheels. (just IMO, but its less weight normally and is OEM)

Old 05-01-2008 | 12:54 PM
^^^yeah, you'll be straight w/the 17's. good luck & post some pics.

Old 05-01-2008 | 12:58 PM
Do what Texan1 did and that is all. No ride sacrifice at all and better stance.

Old 05-01-2008 | 01:06 PM
This is a very informative thread, I also have a sedan & have a family so I didn't want to do an extreme drop. I also want to put 20's when my rims come back in stock so something like the Eibach pro-kit sounds like a good idea. Good stuff, thanks.

Old 05-01-2008 | 01:15 PM
I understand your concern. I have 2 kids & a wife and this is my daily driver. When I first owned the car & people tell you to "slam it" it's kind of annoying and totally a preference thing. I too would relate it to a riced out car that looked like a POS.

I went with some aftermarket summer rims to improve the look of my car & went with a slightly beefier tire 245/40/19 to fill up the fender a little. I loved the look & loved the ride....but then I got bored a bit & wondered how the car would look lowered a bit. Long story short, went with Z & coupe springs for a subtle drop and I love it.

There are some picts in my signature link that show my car with & without a drop. The picts with the stock suspension with summer rims are the "Me and my G" and the "Miscellaneous Picts" photos. The picts with the drop and rims are the first picts on my page under "April 2007 Photoshoot".

Is the ride harsher?......Yes, a little. Is it bearable?.....absolutely IMO.

Old 05-01-2008 | 01:34 PM
depending on your car being 2004 or 2004.5...i would go with the unrevised z springs on 2004, and revised on 2004.5 The eibach prokits would drop it 1 inch all around like the Z springs, but they are a different spring rate. The Z springs will be the same spring rate with your sedan sport shocks, thus giving you essentially the same ride quality. if you get an aftermarket drop springs (ones that have different spring rates), be prepared to get shocks with them....or be prepared to replace them sooner than you would.

having z springs, i have had no issues and dont foresee any even if i had kids. It is lower, but not a huge concern. Aside from takign speed bumps and steep driveways slower or slightly angled, (which you should be doing anyway), there wasnt a difference in my driving habits at all. Go for it!

Old 05-01-2008 | 01:34 PM
Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
Originally Posted by heftylefty58
Thanks for the feedback, man. Sorry, just to clarify: Your car hasn't been lowered in your attached pics, right? (If so, I'm having a hard time seeing the 1/2" difference--would you happen to have before/after pics?)
It is on stock sport springs right now. Not lowered.

edit: pics on first page are lowered z front/cpe rear.

Last edited by Texan1; 11-30-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-01-2008 | 01:49 PM
If you get wheels and a body kit and don't lower it, it's going to look dorky. Having said that , lowering is not for everyone as there are a bunch of trade offs.

I lowered mine with an Eibach Prokit.

The ride is actually initially softer than stock and It looks sweet but I scrape the front nose in a lot of places. I had to buy rear camber adjusters to get the alignment back in spec. I didn't buy fronts because I haven't found any I like so consequently my front tires have worn out prematuely on the insides.

Realize your going to be spending some dough to do it right. the cost of the wheels, springs/struts, Camber adjusters, installation if you can't do it, and an alignment. Consider all these things before you do it.

Last edited by shodog; 05-01-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-01-2008 | 01:53 PM
Z springs or Z/coupe spring combo. FTW. Feel free to call it the old man drop, its just right for me.

I've got Z springs and 19's. It's harsher than the stock 18's but not enough for the wife to complain about. I'm sure the harshness is due to aspect ratio of my tires veruss the springs.

You may or may not need a camber kits. Some do, some dont. I think it may depend on how agreessive you drive or if you track your car. I'm getting one just to extend the life of my tires.

Old 05-01-2008 | 03:03 PM
more Eibach Pro - this one on 17" stockers - ride quality has not suffered, in fact I noticed rougher ride from Stillen Sways before lowering...

Old 05-01-2008 | 03:05 PM
What about Coupe H-Techs? I hardly see anybody talking them. I have them and have yet to put them on. How's the ride, will i need to change the shocks and get a camber kit?

Old 05-01-2008 | 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
more Eibach Pro - this one on 17" stockers - ride quality has not suffered, in fact I noticed rougher ride from Stillen Sways before lowering...

Did you get an alignment done? How is your chamber?

I think I'd like to do the same thing as you (eibach pro with 17" on an X).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: can the sedan look sharp without a drop?