G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

can the sedan look sharp without a drop?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by heftylefty58
Gentlemen, thank you for the invaluable feedback. I've got a lot to think about, but now I know this: The body kit is definitely no longer my highest priority.

jimmyc13, Was your sedan really at still at its stock height in these pics:

If so, then you've helped me find my answer: The sedan CAN look sharp without a drop!

The above shots of your sedan look far better than pics I saw of a non-dropped sedan that had the full Nismo body kit. If your car really wasn't lowered during those pics, then my next move should be to look for wheels/tires for my sedan. I figure I can decide on a subtle drop later.

Couple more questions for you: When you upgraded your wheels, did you also replace your spare with something that matches the overall diameter of your new tires? (Is this even necessary?) Any speedometer, alignment, rubbing issues with the new tires?

Thanks again all!
Absolutely, I know that all of these picts were taken before I put the Z/coupe springs on. Again, the wheel/tire combo is a bigger O.D. than stock & obviously the tires are wider too, so that helped fill up the fender gap. I think it's like 2% larger, which throws off the speedo by about 2 mph (when my speedo says 80, I'm really going 82).

The photo of me & my car, the rear gap is exaggerated a bit because of the way the car is sitting (there's a very subtle slope & the car doesn't sit even in that shot). Let me know if you need any more picts for making your decision & I can see what I can hunt down.

To answer your questions, no, I kept my OEM full size 17" spare.....still have yet to use it (knock on wood) and I already have 85K miles on my car. Shouldn't be an issue driving w/ it if needed...as long as you don't drive like a 'tard.

My fronts rub the fenders only when I hit a big bump on the highway..but it doesn't do any damage...just puts a mark on the tire where it hits. I don't prefer it, but not an issue to date.

Let me know if you have any other ?'s.

Jim

Old 05-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by HUMBOLDT_G
H&R's with stock 18's is a beautiful combonation! I love the ride its just a smooth as stock (or better) and the look its great! This is my wifes car and I didn't want to go to low because of some obvious reasons. If it were mine it would be slammed.

Oh and as far as camber. I had it aligned a couple of weeks after I lowered it and the specs were just out of spec but I havn't detected any significant tire wear, maybe a little in the front.

These are before and after. The car has settled a little since the after pic and it sits perfecly level now. IMO the eibach springs can make the car sit a little high in the front, the H&R's are Perfect!
Eibachs hight in the front? Mine are a little higher in the rear (which I'm starting not to like)... but the front is lower than what you posted ...

(old pic)

Old 05-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just ordered a set of the Eibach pro kit springs for my 2006 X. I hope I dont have much of a camber issue with my 17"

If I do need a camber kit what should I get? Is there specific camber kits for the front on an X?

Last edited by Konsole; 05-03-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Konsole
I just ordered a set of the Eibach pro kit springs for my 2006 X. I hope I dont have much of a chamber issue with my 17"
Let us know how it turns out!

P.S. It's "camber" not "chamber" brah.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:11 PM
I just ordered a set of the Eibach pro kit springs for my 2006 X. I hope I dont have much of a camber issue with my 17"

If I do need a camber kit what should I get? Is there specific camber kits for the front on an X?
I don't know about the X, but mine was just within tolerance with Eibachs (on stock 17")...

Old 05-04-2008, 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by OCG35
I don't know about the X, but mine was just within tolerance with Eibachs (on stock 17")...

Thanks, Good to know. It seems like the stock X height is taller than a stock RWD height, but the 2006 FSM does not list a different well height for the rear suspension. I will take pictures of the car and a tape measure before/after for reference.

I know the X has different spring rates than the RWD or RWD Sport. The numbers posted for the X spring rates are: F=283 R=355
I am not sure if those are true for all years of the X. Nobody seems to be able to decode the colored dots on the springs...

The progressive spring rates of the Eibach pro kit for the Sedan are close to the X's rates so I hope that it wont kill my stock struts.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:24 AM
The progressive spring rates of the Eibach pro kit for the Sedan are close to the X's rates so I hope that it wont kill my stock struts.
shouldn't, unless they've designed new ones... the ones I have were developed using a non-sport sedan... I have non-sport struts and they have been fine *knocks wood*

I am looking into coilovers now though (I probably already said that in this thread )

Old 05-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I just got my Z Springs installed and I love the drop on it, its not too low however noticable

Old 05-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I'm one of the most critical and picky people on this site and I am completely satisfied with my Z/coupe spring combo teamed with the Sport shocks. The ride is actually better with this combo than the OEM Sport springs. I can't explain that one. My wife and son ride with me all the time and there are absolutely no complaints. The car has made numerous family trips over 900 times each way. The ride is absolutely ideal on the highway. I have the Aero bumper and I don't scrap on inclines and I don't scrap on speed bumps. I've tried the Z springs out back, but didn't like it. The rear tire gap was too tight compared to the fronts and the Z springs out back made the car too twitchy on undulating pavement. Additionally, when we go on trips, the car is loaded out back and I want had additional load capability and wheel travel.

As for wear, my car is aligned to coupe specs, but when I added the Z springs up front the tires did exhibit some inner edge feathering on my 215/55R17 Avon M550s. It turns out these particular tires are very susceptible to feathering because of their directional design. If you lower a G, you must use asymmetric tires with reinforced inner tread blocks. You should also set you toe to max toe 0.16" and should rotate the tires every 2500 miles. If you do that, you should be good to go.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jaydafunk
go with stock z springs, lowers about an inch and the ride is similar to stock and no camber issues
I just returned my car to stock. It looks like a 4x4 now. I had the 350z susp and loved it. Not too low and a good stock ride.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I have a hard time believing the coupe 19s + oem tires are lighter than the oem 17s + tires. When I put my coupe 19s on, the front and rears felt heavier than my oem 17s. 18"-19" tires are heavy and really add to the total weight. The 17s are cast yes but it gets really difficult to match the oem 17" weight when the mass of the wheel gets larger in the 18" and 19" sizes. I don't have the wheel weight but I don't think the oem 17" wheel weighs more than 18 lbs or so. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by transportchef
I just returned my car to stock. It looks like a 4x4 now. I had the 350z susp and loved it. Not too low and a good stock ride.

What made you decide to change it back?

I havent thought about lowering until recently. The 17" are small but I like them and dont want large wheels. The 4 finger gap is just bugging the heck of of me now though. The X is a 4x4

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I have a hard time believing the coupe 19s + oem tires are lighter than the oem 17s + tires. When I put my coupe 19s on, the front and rears felt heavier than my oem 17s. 18"-19" tires are heavy and really add to the total weight. The 17s are cast yes but it gets really difficult to match the oem 17" weight when the mass of the wheel gets larger in the 18" and 19" sizes. I don't have the wheel weight but I don't think the oem 17" wheel weighs more than 18 lbs or so. Correct me if I'm wrong here.
I have a set of black painted oem 17" and also the optional factory 17" Chromes. The chrome 17" are lighter than the stock 17"... kinda odd. (I would have thought the chrome ones might weigh more, but I am glad they don't suck considering how much I paid for them new with the car)

This picture is pre drop (springs on the way) and is old (no tint or any of my other mods)

Old 05-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I'm with you, Jeff. People seem to think that lower profile tires are lighter and often times their not because the sidewalls tend to be really thick. Also, people fail to realize that the tires are wider too which means more rubber. From what I've read, I thought the coupe 19s with tires were a 1-2lbs heavier up front and about 4lbs heavier out back. There is also more rotational inertia because a majority of the mass is over 1" further from the hub. Also, there's more rolling resistance from the wider and stickier rubber.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
36, married, 4 kids... G is dropped on 350Z revised complete suspension. Perfect drop for a daily driver that is used for work and ocasilnally famlily transport. It did need an alignment to get it back close to spec. -0.7 deg in the rear and the adjusting bolts are maxed. Fenders are rolled with 295s in the back

Had three kids in the car this weekend, 7yr old son up front, 5yr old daughter and 2yr old daughter in the back going to the newborns baptism. I had some giggiling kids they just love the spooling sound of the turbos.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
36, married, 4 kids... G is dropped on 350Z revised complete suspension. Perfect drop for a daily driver that is used for work and ocasilnally famlily transport. It did need an alignment to get it back close to spec. -0.7 deg in the rear and the adjusting bolts are maxed. Fenders are rolled with 295s in the back

Had three kids in the car this weekend, 7yr old son up front, 5yr old daughter and 2yr old daughter in the back going to the newborns baptism. I had some giggiling kids they just love the spooling sound of the turbos.
And I thought you were keeping your G mostly stock Twin turbos, built motor, aftermarket TC. Ehhhh....stock.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: can the sedan look sharp without a drop?