G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Driver Seat Right Track Locked Up! Help Please.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prathap
From reading your comments, it sounds like you have gone through the pain o fixing this and may be able to help a little with mine. I have had this problem with sliding back and forth for a while now. All this while it would keep moving with some grinding noise. Last weekend, it just stopped moving at all. When I press the slider switch on the seat, I hear a click and nothing happens. Do you think its the rail or the gear. Im hoping my motor hasnt gone bad.

Thanks for your help,

PK

It is the gear. If there is a clicking noise then it is the gear. If the track doesn't even move at all ( in other words no clicking....nothing) then it is the motor. In addition, this is easy to figure out.....on the front of both tracks (right and left) there are 3 bolts.....un screw those bolts and slide off the rectangular casing.....behind the casing is the white plastic gear. If the gear has any bad teeth then the gear is bad.....again if the track itself is not moving at all it could be the motor but if it just making the clicking noise it is the gear.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by bruther
It is the gear. If there is a clicking noise then it is the gear. If the track doesn't even move at all ( in other words no clicking....nothing) then it is the motor. In addition, this is easy to figure out.....on the front of both tracks (right and left) there are 3 bolts.....un screw those bolts and slide off the rectangular casing.....behind the casing is the white plastic gear. If the gear has any bad teeth then the gear is bad.....again if the track itself is not moving at all it could be the motor but if it just making the clicking noise it is the gear.
Thanks for the info. I guess I didnt quite describe it right. The seat was moving with clikcing noise for a while. Since the last weekend, there is no movement at all. That click I assume is part of the electrical flow. I guess since I had been using it with the clicking noise for a while, the motor is broken now. I'll take those screws off to see what the plastic gear looks like. I might beed both.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:26 PM
I have both for sale if you need them. I will sell 1 gear and the motor for 100.
PM me know if you are interested.
Brian

Old 10-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Why doesn't someone have a machine shop make a batch of these?

If i had a good gear, i could model up one in SW and make a dwg for a shop to quote a batch of.

Granted, these gears could be plastic for a reason...

Old 10-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by GoldV35
Why don't you just take whats remaining of the plastic gear off the railing system, take it to a metal fabricator and tell him to copy it? Its gotta be a whole lot cheaper than anything else and probably last for the life of the vehicle.
Are you sure this can be done? If so what kind of places would make this? Im in Northern VA and dont have a clue where I can get this done. Im thinking perhaps ACE hardware and I dont even know if they offer such services.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Mustang5L5: 'Granted, these gears could be plastic for a reason...'

The reason is cost, plastic parts are easier and cheaper to manufacture. In addition, car companies know that a strategically placed cheap part will fail after a certain time which then requires the consumer to pay for replacement at a great cost, because these things always seem to fail after the warranty period, haha.

prathap: 'Are you sure this can be done? If so what kind of places would make this? Im in Northern VA and dont have a clue where I can get this done. Im thinking perhaps ACE hardware and I dont even know if they offer such services.'

It was just a suggestion, it depends on the complexity of the part. I say just take the part off, look up 'metal fabricators' in the yellow pages and ask around for someone to do it. If they don't do it they are bound to know someone that does.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:49 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
A machine shop is what you want. I could suggest a few but the ones i deal with all deal in high quantities. (1000 or more)

Just look through the yellow pages and call a few up. You'll need to provide the gear and ask them to replicate it. Costs for 1 part? $50-100 i'd guess. I wouldn't be surprised if you get 1 or 2 shops that quote higher.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is an absolute crime Nissan does not make these parts, which will absolutely fail over time, available separately. I had to buy a set of used seats, pull out the gears, then sell off the leather/airbags/switches to get a cost-effective solution to the problem. At least I have a spare gear now from one of those used seats.

Dealer wanted in excess of $1k to replace the whole undercarriage for a $2 part. Between this issue and the valve covers (spark plugs seals stupidly molded into them) I would think hard about buying another Infiniti. Really stupid.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:12 AM
Seat Track Problem

My driver side seat started acting up 2 weeks ago. Only the right side would try to move, so the seat was doing this pivoting motion. I took it to my local Infiniti expert, and he managed to swap the track from the passenger side so at least my driver side now works.

I'd like to fix the passenger side cheaply if at all possible. The dealer quoted me $2895 to replace the whole seat. Not sure why I'd need to do that, but I tried Consumer Affairs and was turned down.

The motor hums and tried to move the seat forward, but it gets stuck. I'm guessing it's the gear. Can I access the white gear from the back of the seat or the front? Does anyone have the detailed steps to perform this repair (assuming I can get a gear from someone)? And last but not least, does anyone have an extra gear they'd be willing to sell?

Thanks!

Sajjad

Old 12-16-2009, 04:13 PM
I am getting a quote from a machine shop this week. Im on my second F'd up gear and about to get pi$$$ed. I was thinking about just making my own with a cast and epoxy haha.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Success! I've fixed my seat! It took about 2 hours as this was my first venture under the seat. Received the 2 gears + motor for $60. The number for the shop I worked with is 5594769174 and the guys name is Allen.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Here's the pic:

Old 01-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Where were u able to buy a gear? Im having the same problem but on my passanger side so its not that serious lol.. but i just got the car back and i asked them about it and they quoted me around 800-1k and i dont think so -__- I dunno if anyone has decided to find a metal shop to get a quote, but i could ask around this shop in colorado that I get some fabracation done over the summer? Just Wondering

Old 01-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Name and contact information are above. His name is Allen. Mine was on the passenger side too. They can send you the gears and motor. Wonder why these seats go bad so often. You'd think Infiniti would fess up and admit this is a design flaw.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Does allen do shipping o.O? Im all the way out in Houston.. And About To Head Back To Atlanta For School >_>

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driver Seat Right Track Locked Up! Help Please.