G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

OOPS i accidentally redlined for a few seconds today, am i ok?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
what does this mean?...
There is a common term for MT drivers: "money-shift", which means when people miss-shift and overrev the engine (i.e. shifting to 2 when indeed wanting to shift to 4).

Old 07-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Redpit10
You would really have to be a moron to shift into second by accident. Im sure it happens from time to time to a select few, but if you make that mistake then you're a moron.
On manuals with very tight shift gates like on the G/Z, I can totally see how it could be very easy to misshift into 2nd when intending to grab 4th during a quick shift. If you're lucky, the clutch will blow before allowing the motor to rev to 8500+rpms. Lots and lots of Celica GT-S owners wrecked their motors because they accidentlly grabbed 2nd instead of 4th while racing. Toyota ending up widening the gates and lowering the rev limiter to curb the problem. Holding the shifter in the correct position is extremely important if you plan on speed shifting with a G.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:32 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
On manuals with very tight shift gates like on the G/Z, I can totally see how it could be very easy to misshift into 2nd when intending to grab 4th during a quick shift. If you're lucky, the clutch will blow before allowing the motor to rev to 8500+rpms. Lots and lots of Celica GT-S owners wrecked their motors because they accidentlly grabbed 2nd instead of 4th while racing. Toyota ending up widening the gates and lowering the rev limiter to curb the problem. Holding the shifter in the correct position is extremely important if you plan on speed shifting with a G.
actually having driven 10 different manual cars i would say G is one of the last cars that an accident like that could likely happen. s2k being the easiest one. I agree with the previous poster that u have to be an idiot to shift from 3rd to 2nd by accident on this car.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:40 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
I've owend many MTs... and have driven countless of MTs (including the Z, the G37 and the G35)... I have never miss-shifted and over rev'd... I dont see how this could be a real issue... if you miss shift into 2nd you should not be in an MT.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I don't think it's as rare as you guys think. After all, they termed a name for it.
In some BMWs, very hard driving seems to move the tranny around on it's mounts, making a misshift easier to do. The thread below has some theories on it. Although there are opinions both ways (orcourse). At least you have a few guys that actually admit they did it.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=100256

Old 07-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I agree with Jeff, it happens more than people think. Lots of people misshift F-Bodies and Vettes too and those shift gates are pretty dang wide. I think the problem stems from guys holding the shifter pistol grip style on the 3 to 4 shift. Sometimes what happens is the driver inadvertently pulls the shifter backwards and a bit left. During a race situation, your senses are overwhelmed and you're trying to shift as fast as possible. This is why I always shifted the 3 to 4 with my hand inverted (thumb pointing down) and wrapped around the front of the shifter. That shift style allows for a straight back pull, doesn't fight the shifter gate, and is the quickest way to execute the shift.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually just watched a couple of youtube videos. Evidently it does happen more often then I thought. I still agree with my first post though, it takes a dedadee to do. Mis-shifting is gods way of telling you to drive an automatic.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just jam it into a slot and hammer down....

Old 07-17-2008, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
I agree with Jeff, it happens more than people think. Lots of people misshift F-Bodies and Vettes too and those shift gates are pretty dang wide. I think the problem stems from guys holding the shifter pistol grip style on the 3 to 4 shift. Sometimes what happens is the driver inadvertently pulls the shifter backwards and a bit left. During a race situation, your senses are overwhelmed and you're trying to shift as fast as possible. This is why I always shifted the 3 to 4 with my hand inverted (thumb pointing down) and wrapped around the front of the shifter. That shift style allows for a straight back pull, doesn't fight the shifter gate, and is the quickest way to execute the shift.
I concur (with blue)... Last time I raced Vlad (Klubbheads) he was so determined to beat me from pervious loses that he mucked it and it wasn’t close... but he was running @ss kicking times that day… had he not gotten over anxious and psyched himself out, and had perfect shifts, there’s a good chance he would have squeaked one out and have beaten me... AT FTW!

Old 07-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i feel like such a noob
right after i read this i went out for a drive
and started racing a skyline, even tho i beat the idiot i was shifting into fourth and i missed the gear and downshifted into second
FOR LES THEN A SECOND the rpms were still rising and hit about 7.5 rpms,
i feel ashamed i shall go kill myself now , atleast i didnt blow the motor (hopefully didnt damage it either)
but u kno s*** happens, just not having a good day

Old 07-18-2008, 08:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
I dont see how this could be a real issue... if you miss shift into 2nd you should not be in an MT.
Probably because we're all human man. If you're not racing & driving normal, chances are slim...but if you're racing and every damn split second counts, of course you're more likely to mis-shift...you're under the gun! That's my $0.02. That said, I disagree.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyc13
Probably because we're all human man. If you're not racing & driving normal, chances are slim...but if you're racing and every damn split second counts, of course you're more likely to mis-shift...you're under the gun! That's my $0.02. That said, I disagree.
Im not trying to come off like a douche who acts like he never makes mistakes. Cause I have certainly made my fair share of mistakes. Sure I have grinded gears and missed a shift before (by this I mean my clutch work was sloopy and I let off the clutch before the shifter was engaged), but I have never shifted into a lower gear by accident. I have been driving stick for nearly 15 years (actually my G is my first non-stick, I bought the X), and have never come remotely close to misshifting as it was described here. Truley if I had shifted like that a few times I would move to an auto.

Disclaimer: I come from the mindset that driving is a skill, and not all people should drive (like how it is here in the US). That being said not all people are on the same skill level. Those lacking skill, like so many drivers I see on the road everyday, should drive autos at the very least, if they drive at all.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Im not trying to come off like a douche who acts like he never makes mistakes. Cause I have certainly made my fair share of mistakes. Sure I have grinded gears and missed a shift before (by this I mean my clutch work was sloopy and I let off the clutch before the shifter was engaged), but I have never shifted into a lower gear by accident. I have been driving stick for nearly 15 years (actually my G is my first non-stick, I bought the X), and have never come remotely close to misshifting as it was described here. Truley if I had shifted like that a few times I would move to an auto.

Disclaimer: I come from the mindset that driving is a skill, and not all people should drive (like how it is here in the US). That being said not all people are on the same skill level. Those lacking skill, like so many drivers I see on the road everyday, should drive autos at the very least, if they drive at all.
I agree with you man. I drove a stick for 6 years before my G (5AT) and never shifted into a lower gear accidentally either (and the last year I owned my stick, I did beat on it a bunch, but never misshifted either). I was disagreeing that if someone did happen to misshift once or twice, the shouldn't technically not be driving an auto.

MANY 5AT owners on here have been in manumatic & forgot they were (thinking they were in drive) and have redlined until the fuel has cut off, making the car hesitate (me included)....so does that mean that some of us shouldn't be driving a 5AT with the manumatic? I'm not trying to be a douche either...just being realistic.

PS - I'm originally from your area originally (somewhat)...grew up in Carmel, NY...now live in the Boston area.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by jimmyc13
that’s why no NA MT has beaten me - so okay, your reply is valid. However, I have speed shifted MT before... its one thing to miss the shift... its entirely different to throw it into 2nd instead of 4th - that’s just indicative that you shouldn’t be racing until you are more familiar with the car or you shouldn’t be in an MT in the first place.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:35 PM

+1... similar to my response...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OOPS i accidentally redlined for a few seconds today, am i ok?