G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Swapping Sedan/Coupe seats in 03 - wiring info

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Swapping Sedan/Coupe seats in 03 - wiring info

I will soon be swapping my 03.5 sedan seats for 03 coupe seats and I know some wire splicing will be involved. I've searched and found that the heater plug and airbag plug are direct plugins, but the power seats will need some splicing.

Does anyone have any recollection of what that involved when they did it? A straight color match or some trial-and-error? Also curious if that one harness is the only one that will require splicing.

If the driver and passenger wiring steps are different (and I think they are) any info there would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Old 08-03-2008, 10:21 AM
..... I WIN .....

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jimNC
I will soon be swapping my 03.5 sedan seats for 03 coupe seats and I know some wire splicing will be involved. I've searched and found that the heater plug and airbag plug are direct plugins, but the power seats will need some splicing.

Does anyone have any recollection of what that involved when they did it? A straight color match or some trial-and-error? Also curious if that one harness is the only one that will require splicing.

If the driver and passenger wiring steps are different (and I think they are) any info there would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!
When I did mine, I had a friend with an 03 coupe with me so I could test his wires and match them to mine. I can try to look within the next couple days and let you know which wires go to where, it's not a color match.

driver is different then passenger. I haven't had too much time to mess with the passenger, I've only done the driver.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
shiet... anybody have any Willow Coupe Seats for sale... i really want them!

Old 08-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by NathanJax
When I did mine, I had a friend with an 03 coupe with me so I could test his wires and match them to mine. I can try to look within the next couple days and let you know which wires go to where, it's not a color match.

driver is different then passenger. I haven't had too much time to mess with the passenger, I've only done the driver.
If you get a chance to do that, it would be awesome and I would really appreciate it. I won't be doing the swap for another week or so.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Hey Nathan,

If you get a chance to do this please take a couple pictures if at all possible. I am interested to know if the splicing takes place all at the connectors, or some at another location (forward/back motor). If you can't take any pics a description would be appreciated. Thanks again!

Old 08-06-2008, 03:34 PM
..... I WIN .....

I"ll be doing this this afternoon, and i will take pictures

Old 08-08-2008, 05:44 PM
..... I WIN .....

It's been raining like mad here. Every day, every afternoon... I'll try to get to this tomorrow...

Old 08-09-2008, 12:30 PM
It's been raining like mad here. Every day, every afternoon... I'll try to get to this tomorrow...
Cool - I'll be looking for them!

Old 08-09-2008, 02:40 PM
..... I WIN .....

If it's not raining here... it's a freaking 100 degrees...

Name:  P8090001.jpg
Views: 6159
Size:  77.8 KB

Not the greatest picture in the world, but you kinda get the idea.

From your factory wire - to coupe seat wire

Black - Thick Black

White - Thick Red AND Thick Red with a white line

Grey with Blue Stripe - Thick Yellow green stripe

Light Green with Black Stripe - Thick Yellow

The following 3 users liked this post by NathanJax:
03Sedan6MT (02-14-2016), huyutinkyu (10-12-2013), SDGenius (01-20-2012)
Old 08-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Man - thanks, that will help a lot. I think a lot of others on the forum will find that useful too.

Question - do you have heat in this seat?

I am mainly trying to confirm that the splicing is restricted to wires on one wiring harness (one factory wire harness - from what I can gather in your pic it looks like just one harness). Even if you can't tell me that for sure, your description and pic should be all I need to get the job done.

Assuming this goes well, I will try to return the favor for the passenger side.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:33 PM
..... I WIN .....

Question - do you have heat in this seat?
Yes The black and white wires, in your factory harness going TO the seat is the power for the seat (front, back, up, down)

The Grey with Blue Stripe and Light Green with Black Stripe is the power for the heated seats. However, I can only have the seats turn on high, not low. (if that makes sense)
I am mainly trying to confirm that the splicing is restricted to wires on one wiring harness (one factory wire harness - from what I can gather in your pic it looks like just one harness). Even if you can't tell me that for sure, your description and pic should be all I need to get the job done.
There is just one harness to the seat and on the seat for everything, except the seat belt, and the airbag.
Assuming this goes well, I will try to return the favor for the passenger side.
That would be great

Old 08-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was under the impression the driver seat was plug in to coupe seats, no cutting or anything. At least mine was, the passanger side is the one that needs the cutting and splicing.
Nathan the pic is for dirver or passanger??

Old 08-09-2008, 07:49 PM
I only know this because of how much I've been searching on this lately, but I believe the 04 and above Coupe seats are a direct plug - for 03 Coupe seats splicing is necessary. Why they did them different on the 03 model, who knows. The pic Nathan posted is the driver side - he has not done his passenger side yet.

Curious why Nathan only has 'high' power and not 'low' - there must be more than one way to splice the cat.

I was expecting to have some fun getting the heat to work, and that is a lower priority for me so I'll give it a whirl but I'm not gonna kill myself on that. Seems to me if you had a seat wiring diagram for sedan and coupe it should be possible to figure out the right way of doing it; I only have a sedan service manual.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:53 PM
..... I WIN .....

Originally Posted by 03Sg35
I was under the impression the driver seat was plug in to coupe seats, no cutting or anything. At least mine was, the passenger side is the one that needs the cutting and splicing.
Nathan the pic is for driver or passenger??
Driver. My G is an 03 (doggydoor) and I was told these seats came from an 03 coupe. Maybe the seats are a different year or something. But in the pic, you can kinda see the plugs are different. It's the same for the passenger side as well. Only 4 wires to the sedan seat harness and I think it's 8 or 10 in the coupes.

I only know this because of how much I've been searching on this lately, but I believe the 04 and above Coupe seats are a direct plug - for 03 Coupe seats splicing is necessary. Why they did them different on the 03 model, who knows. The pic Nathan posted is the driver side - he has not done his passenger side yet.
Correct

Curious why Nathan only has 'high' power and not 'low' - there must be more than one way to splice the cat.
I haven't had a chance yet to figure out where that wire is. It's weird because on the factory seat wire, there is just a power and ground. however, on the coupe seat (if I remember correctly) the ground changes to a power wire to activate the low heat.

I was expecting to have some fun getting the heat to work, and that is a lower priority for me so I'll give it a whirl but I'm not gonna kill myself on that. Seems to me if you had a seat wiring diagram for sedan and coupe it should be possible to figure out the right way of doing it; I only have a sedan service manual.
My father is a mechanic, and the wiring diagram looked like Chinese to me. I went over to a friends house (KGreene on this forum) and played with his 03 coupe. I took his seats out and figured out which wire goes where and then it was simple for me to figure out my seats.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
Great write up Nathan and very helpful info. Good job

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Swapping Sedan/Coupe seats in 03 - wiring info