G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

05 Warranty about to expire??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 Warranty about to expire??

I just bought my 05 on Wednesday, and my warranty expires in 2000 miles. The Infiniti dealer in Shreveport quoted me $1800 for the 4/100,000 warranty, which they said mirrors the manu. warranty - bumper to bumper. However, my hubby is a mechanic (by hobby now, he didn't want to do that all day and burn himself out so he is not by trade anymore) and can fix almost anything. I have never had an Infin before, and know the parts can run pretty pricey - I'm used to buying for an Eclipse. I have also NEVER owned a car with a warranty, kinda nice not having to ask him to fix things ...I am learning to do it myself, everytime he is in the garage.
Any advice??
PS, I would like to do some upgrades eventually too, cai, exhaust, etc. That would void it anyway, wouldn't it? So if I do get the warranty, I would either resort to parts that can be removed, or wait 42k more miles to do anything....

Last edited by AJaxx80; 10-11-2008 at 03:31 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
The factory warranty is valid even with aftermarket parts unless they can prove the part in question is what caused the problem. An additional warranty might be different because they usually make you sign an agreement stating you will not modify the car in any way. If you do the warranty is void. I would look to see if they want you to sign something like this and if you plan on modding your car I would not get it.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
hey aleast you have 2000 miles, i bought my car and i had literally 3 days left on the warranty, i took it in for the rear bolts, rear seat loose, i tried to BS about the compression rods but no go ( i didn't have the problem but i figure it can happen downt he road).

I do declined the warranty, it was 3 years/ 36k for 1200$, i wrenched on VW for a 2 years and went to tech school, shortly after i said that wasn't for me. if infiniti lives up to its reps, i'll only be buying oil and filters 90% of the time.

you know the warranty offer is gone after you leave the dealership, i asked because i wanted a really good look at the book. I noticed it didn't include squeaks, rattles and wear and tear items. Now a lot of things can fall under wear and tear, such as a broke radio radio button. most people only take the car into dealerships for , maintenance, noises, and CEL. so ruling out noises is 1/3 of the issues. wheels/tires/alignments aren't covered, i asked because its things i cant exactly do at home.

one way to look at it was $400 per year. say 1 thing goes wrong a year pending on what it can end up saving you money not getting or save you getting it. He told me the navi button breaking would be due to my fault. but the screen not sliding up would be covered.

I ended up not getting it, so i'll see how it goes

Old 10-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 G35x Same situation - I'm at 58,000 miles - bought it about 2 months ago.
I'm doing things under warranty like the oil consumption - I'm in the same boat next week I'm going in to see if the compression rods can be done (they do squeak a little).

Old 10-08-2008, 01:19 PM
IIRC, the dealer offered me an additional 3 yrs for like $800. I still declined, though. One of the reasons I chose this car over others I was considering was reliability and cheaper maintenance/repairs.

Extended warranty is gambling. If you purchase it, you are betting the car will break (with cost exceeding purchase price) while the warranty company is betting it won't. Guess who the odds favor?

Old 10-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
every time someone tries to sell me an extended warranty (Best Buy and Circuit City) I tell them if it is going to break and needs an extended warranty I don't want it. They quickly change to how good the product is and say you don't need an extended warranty.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks guys! I really appreciate all your advice. I am definitely leaning toward not getting it. I feel the same way as QBrozen. I bought this car because all the research I had done before buying showed this to be a very reliable car. That is was turned me away from the Mazdaspeed. I did love that car, but the reliability just didn't stand too well. I would rather put my money into the mods I want instead of an extended warranty. Since my hubby can fix most problems, that eliminates a whole lot of replacement related problems. Labor is just as expensive as most parts!! I was just concerned with not knowing what the previous owner had done in their 56k miles, but it drives great and everything seems sound. So we'll see!
Again thanks to all of you for the advice!

Old 10-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
05 6MT or 5AT? If you are 6MT and have the rev-up motor I would get the warranty since it could get you a new motor if you have the oil consumption issue.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:12 PM
6MT. We haven't seen the oil consumption issue yet...then again I've only had it for 8 days....so that isn't really saying anything. I am still hanging in limbo. I really wanted the ext. warranty - that's one of the reasons I bought this one. It was cheaper to purchase the ext. since it is still under factory warranty. :sigh: It is so hard for me to make decisions like this. It took me over 3 months of CONSTANT research just to find the perfect car for me. Excel spreadsheets, the whole nine yards. I am a car research PRO by now!!! But this warranty thing really has me turning in circles, and I'm slowly running out of time. I have less than 2k miles to make up my mind. I have been reading up on the oil consumption. I printed out the thread and thumbnails this morning for my hubby to check into. That is definitely an issue. But I thought it said that is mainly affects 03-04. Even so its still a HUGE issue...a new MOTOR! That's serious stuff!

Old 10-09-2008, 07:56 PM
I plan to buy the Elite extended warranty in December. I'll probably Opt for the 3 year/36k mile 0 deductible version. This will basically take me to 7yrs/100K.

I'm not a big extended warranty guy, but these cars will drop you for $300 easy, per visit. I do a good deal of maintenance myself but I also know my limitations. I'm thinking 3 visits a year is probably not too far off.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Seymore
I plan to buy the Elite extended warranty in December. I'll probably Opt for the 3 year/36k mile 0 deductible version. This will basically take me to 7yrs/100K.

I'm not a big extended warranty guy, but these cars will drop you for $300 easy, per visit. I do a good deal of maintenance myself but I also know my limitations. I'm thinking 3 visits a year is probably not too far off.
Sounds like you are referring to normal maintenance, which is not covered under the warranty. I can't see needing $900 in repairs outside of normal maintenance each year.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:21 AM
the only thing i'm concerned about with this car is the transmission. I know that'll set me back a few hundred - thousand if it needs replacement (6mt). I should also start checking my oil now. I also wonder when my 05 warranty is up. I bought mine in july 06. just keep basic routine maintanence on it. you should be golden.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Sounds like you are referring to normal maintenance, which is not covered under the warranty. I can't see needing $900 in repairs outside of normal maintenance each year.

It seems like it's pretty common for fairly simple things to be $200-300 to repair. Either they are that much or higher, or I'm saving the small things up until the next oil change and getting them all taken care of at once for $200-300. In the last 6 months I've had the fuel sending units replaced, sway rod ends repaired/adjusted, side marker light replaced, a trunk fitment adjustment, and the passenger seat controller is already on the list for the next visit. The big ticket item protection is just another aspect to consider; it certainly doesn't hurt.

I can do things like fluid changes, brakes, filter replacements, etc. but there's a lot of terrirtory I'd prefer to stay away from. For these cars I like the extended warranty approach. For my Honda Pilot, nope.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Sounds like you got a bad one.
mine has been good so far.
We had many more problems with our Honda Pilot in the time we owned it. And that's not to say we had alot of problems with the Pilot. But just having the stereo head unit replaced alone is more than I've had to do with my G thus far. And the bad trans issue on the Pilot was enough to make me want an extended warranty anyway.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:29 PM
The main thing that is making me consider the ext warranty is the oil consumption issue. I do not want to replace the trans in the next 100k. Hubby can do pretty much everything else (including replacing the trans - I'm learning...only dropped 1 in my lifetime) but the price alone is enough to have me considering ext. the warranty. Is this problem an occurence that happens often enough with the 05G that I may need to purchase that? It's seems like such a gamble....or insurance for that matter. You never need it till you get sick, by the time you do, you've spent enough on coverage it would have been cheaper to come out of pocket.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 05 Warranty about to expire??