G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Failed State Inspection for lack of communication with computers.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Failed State Inspection for lack of communication with computers.

I brought my 04x in for it's annual inspection. The shop claims their computer can't "read" my cars computer. They plug it in and get no history.

For this I was failed, and then the shop tried to milk me $40 for a diagnostic. I told them go screw and it must be your PC that is busted. I only have 35k on the odometer, no check engine lights and I just brought the car into infinity for the 30k service.

Anyone run into this?

Old 11-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Machine Head
I brought my 04x in for it's annual inspection. The shop claims their computer can't "read" my cars computer. They plug it in and get no history.

For this I was failed, and then the shop tried to milk me $40 for a diagnostic. I told them go screw and it must be your PC that is busted. I only have 35k on the odometer, no check engine lights and I just brought the car into infinity for the 30k service.

Anyone run into this?
Have you or a shop recently reset the ecu?

Old 11-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by sloppymax
Have you or a shop recently reset the ecu?
I just installed a stage 2 brake package 2 weeks ago and reset my computer then. But I've put 500 miles on it since then.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Machine Head

Anyone run into this?
"No history"? What are they talking about? Your ECU is working because your car is obviously running. If there are no codes, nothing is going to appear unless they are trying to get a data read for parameter values. If they're not pulling up the parameter values, then there's a problem with their equipment, not your car. When I do a scan on my car, I usually have to try a couple of times before the ECU is recognized. Go to a different shop.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by DaveB
"No history"? What are they talking about? Your ECU is working because your car is obviously running. If there are no codes, nothing is going to appear unless they are trying to get a data read for parameter values. If they're not pulling up the parameter values, then there's a problem with their equipment, not your car. When I do a scan on my car, I usually have to try a couple of times before the ECU is recognized. Go to a different shop.
The whole thing sounded totaly fishy to me. Makes no sense that I would need a diagnostic when there is no indication of a problem from the car. What are these "parameter values" you are talking about?

I'm new to this state (NC) and in my old state we didn't have a computer inspection it was purley visual (brakes, lights ect) no emmisions.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Guess what? I went to pick up the car and started asking questions like I knew what I was talking about...
"What CEL's if any came up?"
"What parameter values is your inspection PC looking for?"
"When was the last time your State Inpection equipment was certified?"?"

they started getting jumpy, couldn't answer so I asked to see the "error" message they were getting when trying to read it. Miraculously when they plugged it in the second time it worked just fine.

Shady ****ing shops kill me.