G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Tail and dash lights not coming on???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tail and dash lights not coming on???

Hey guys,

Both my tail lights and the backlights for all of the radio/climate control/seat warmer (ie. console) buttons are not turning on when I turn my headlights on. The actual LED display for the climate control works fine. The dimmer switch is turned to max (and rotating it doesn't seem to do anything!)

Could it be a fuse? which one? Any other thoughts why this might be happening?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT - found that the problem was the taillight fuse in the fuse panel BEHIND the battery (yes - requires you to remove passenger windshield cowling to access). Now the problem is that new fuses just keep blowing (see last post in thread). Any suggestions now on where/how to search for the short?

Last edited by Smokey6; 12-02-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:10 AM
Come on guys - I know someone has some ideas!

Old 12-01-2008, 08:17 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Check all fuses

I had the same problem once. It was the "mirror" fuse.....dont ask me how the mirror is joined with it but thats the one it was.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
i had the same problem couple weeks ago, dont wry its just a $2 fuse which is located behind ur battery i think, i got the dealer to change it for me. nothing big.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the tips thus far. I checked all of the fuses - both interior (next to the dead pedal) and exterior (right in front of the battery) - and all appeared to be okay (although I didn't test them electrically for continuity).

BTW - the turn signals work okay and the lights go on when I brake, but they don't go on when I turn the headlights on (so when I'm driving in the dark people can't see me until I brake or put my turn signal/4-ways on).

I didn't test the relays, but is that the next step? The ones I would be checking I suspect are to the left of the battery (ie. further to passenger side)? How would I test them? Or is this even necessary?

Found a similar situation in this thread (he indicates the tails were also off later in the post), but visually my fuses look okay, so solution may be different:
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...le-lights.html

Thanks for any ongoing help!

Last edited by Smokey6; 12-01-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
I would test the fuses, not just look at them but test them.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:55 PM
K - will do tonight and let you know.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
im very confident its the fuse i checked it myself before i went to the dealer they seme fine to me but the dealer fixed it and told me it was just a fuse. I say just check carefully

Old 12-02-2008, 09:55 AM
K - just went out and tested all the fuses (interior and exterior) I could with a fuse tester and they were all okay. The only ones I couldn't test were the 2 rectangular ones with 3 fuses each inside the casing - the ones are referring to are just in front of the the battery.

I haven't tested the relays as I mentioned before.

Can anyone tell me exactly which fuse was the problem (outside of the mirror fuse)? Could it be my dimmer switch that went bad? I haven't ever touched it till this problem arose, but you never know.

EDIT - I just found this thread which has some great pictures of the the 3rd fusebox:
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...de-marker.html

I wasn't checking here and didn't think to actually look behind the battery for another fuse box panel. The one I was checking with a little black rectangular box in front of the battery which has only a handful of fuses in them.

It ended up being the top 10A taillight fuse. But there are more problems...see my next post

Last edited by Smokey6; 12-02-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:23 AM
So I just checked the 3rd fusebox under the passenger side windshield cowling. Found out the taillight fuse was blown (top 10A fuse on the left). Unfortunately I replaced it and it blew once again! Guess I have a short.

Can anyone suggest where I should start looking for the short?

BTW - I have changed my taillights to the '05 ones and I have wired the side markers so that they blink with the turn signals. I have also wired in AAC halos to the headlights. These are the real only wiring mods I have done. And they all took place many months ago - no recent wiring mods (ie. in last month).

Last edited by Smokey6; 12-02-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Grocery getter

I would check at the tail lights first, could be a chaffed wire back there.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Grocery getter

Just read the last post. I would also double check the wires you added for the side marker flash mod.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My bet is on the sidemarker flash mod gone wrong.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:38 PM
So...I take it into the shop and pay them $105 for them to put a 15amp fuse into the 10amp headlight socket and see that the right parking light (the small 394 bulb in the main reflector) took a little while to turn on. He told me that it was likely the "ballast for the xenon bulb" (little did he know I merely replaced the 394 bulb with a multi-led bulb from japan which he thought was a stock "xenon" bulb) that was drawing too much current (and likely secondary to the recent colder temps here in Canada) causing the fuse to blow. They quoted me an approximate price of $1000 for a new ballast from the dealership. And yes...he was talking about the 394 bulb because I had him come out and point to the bulb he was talking about before I drove away.

Wierdly enough though, after replacing the 15amp fuse with the standard 10A fuse (god I hope it didn't mess stuff up by putting a higher amp fuse in for a short while), the 10A fuse seemed to handle the load just fine. Not really sure what the deal is, but there you go. Interesting none the less.

The mechanic was right about one thing - the cold temp likely caused the problem - I recall ttrank doing a fix on his AAC inverters to prevent this from happening (or for a similar problem). Ttrank, wanna comment?

Old 12-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Looks as thought the inverter no longer works. Perhaps I'll have to get another one from the company...

Does anyone know what the voltages should be coming out of the inverter (to the halos)?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tail and dash lights not coming on???