G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

impressions on SBD grounding wires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did the wires and this:

Engine Oil Bypass Kit

Modern synthetic oil is very expensive - so why run the risk of getting it dirty by running it through your motor block? KaleCoAuto bypass kit comes with everything you need to run the oil around your motor block where it will do more good. Oil runs cooler, and as a result, there may be horsepower gains!

I also put on a Nismo decal, man my car feels so much quicker...

Last edited by ckkone; 12-24-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
Dave, the grounding wires (not necessarily these ones) worked WONDERS on my throttle lag and acceleration. I'm curious to how you had yours hooked up...
I had the Grounding Gear 10 wire kit. It was installed per the directions. Install wasn't a big deal as I've been modding cars since 1996 and do far more complicated work than this. I gave the kit around 2 weeks to show it's stuff. It didn't make any difference. The throttle lag, acceleration lag, and shift lag everyone complains about is not a grounding problem, it's a tuning problem. That's it. Nissan has gone to great lengths to do two things with these 5ATs:

1) Preserve reliability and longevity
2) Prevent the car from downshifting under certain conditions

If the engine is cold or super hot, the electronic throttle control is reduced unless you really dip into it hard. If you try to manually downshift in a tight turn just as the car is leaning (yaw sensor), the TCU may question your intentions and not allow the shift, forcing you to try again. This is done to prevent a loss of control or make sure you actually want the downshift. Line pressure (responsible for shift speed and firmness) will vary depending on throttle input if you're in auto (higher pressure) or manual mode (lower pressure), temp of the engine, and your overall driving style. The more or less aggressive you drive, the more or less responsive the tranny will be.

swede6162 hit the nail on the head. It's the placebo effect. I put this mod in the "feels good" category which is the same as intakes. By that I mean so many believe it works so it must work even though dynos suggest otherwise and when you install the mod (like most), your initial drive is usually more aggressive which gives you the sense that the car must be quicker, better driving, etc. The whole concept of grounding wires is quite silly after you research it a bit. Even funnier is how the import crowd embraces it while the domestic and Euro crowds don't. The truth is if the grounds aren't adequate then you're going to have noticeable driveability problems. It's either a problem or it's not. There's no inbetween.

As long as you think it works, then that's all that matters.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:10 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
mine was not a "placebo effect"

MAJOR difference.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow yall are harsh!!! i dont know the guy personally... i just brought his wires... i guess you could argue my 05 g35 had some bad grounds already and this fixed it... there is no "feel good" or "placido" effect here...

its simple... low guage wire to the right places mean less electrical resistance... a grounding kit gives the computers in the g35 a more stable common ground point... and "common" being the key word... so now all the sensors have a common "zero point" which results in better accurancy across all the computers/sensors in the g35.... thus a faster response time in everything electronic in your g35 over the stock gounding... the stock grounding is scattered all across the chassis with different guage wire...

I bet the other kits yall have tryed didnt ground the ecu or any other computer in the car... you just had them for looks...

every car company wants to make the highest quality car as cheap as possible... so that means using the highest gauage wire as they can to get decent grounding... If gounding wires dont matter then go ahead and use 22 guage wire with your audio amp ground or power wire and see what happens...

VDC/TCS/ABS computer

ECU

Old 12-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
the Grounding Gear 10 wire kit was the original ground to the ECU/TCU

SBD just copied parts of what was already in this other kit

I think he thought it would give him more power...

Old 12-24-2008, 01:23 PM

probably did... all i care is that it works

Old 12-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
oh, of course

thats the only thing that matters. The only thing I loved about it was the shift lag...

Old 12-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I didn't expect any power gain. I'm not that dumb. I was just dumb enough to buy into the notion that the Japanese don't know how to ground electronics, but the Germans do

Old 12-24-2008, 01:32 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
LOL

its not that they "don't know how"

They ground on the Neg side, Germans and Americans ground on the Pos side

This is why it makes such a difference. It won't make a diff for US/EURO cars

Old 12-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Odd, the pic above doesn't even use the factory grounding points. The wires are supposed to be hooked up using the oem ground point. IMHO anyway

Old 12-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
The grounding points are not important, just what is being grounded.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Odd, the pic above doesn't even use the factory grounding points. The wires are supposed to be hooked up using the oem ground point. IMHO anyway
more than half of the wires go on top of the OEM ground points in the engine bay... then SDB adds his own...

Old 12-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They ground on the Neg side, Germans and Americans ground on the Pos side
I'm from Missouri. Show me.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:48 PM
The grounding points are not important, just what is being grounded.
Like I said in the other thread. This is false and bad info.

On to the grounding wires.
DaveB in right on with his postings. I am a little more inclined to believe him since he seems like the type to go into a mod with a neutral mind. Not the mindset that its going to give x amount of power or makes this and that better before it even touches the car.

Now lets look at the pics. This kit was just thrown together. Why would you need 4 awg for grounds other then to the battery. Oh thats right... you don't! So why use them. More is not better in this case. There is not near enough power going though the engine harness to need anything more the 10 or 8 gauge being generous with that many wires all over the place. Now the ECU. The fact that it has a great ground to begin with bolted to the chassis. Now a large gauge wire is hooked to that. A ecu that passes so little amps has no need for even half that gauge. Doesn't make it more efficient so there is no point.
So the kit is put together without any electrical knowledge or thought applied. I have a hard time believing any of these claims. So many go against fact and seem to be an all in your head effect.

kmckis1029... The factory uses what is needed. There is a reason you will find many gauges of wire throughout the car. Not cause they are cheap. They are using the proper wire for the specific amp draw. It is important and needs to be used correctly. You have to understand how current works first. There is more to it then just big wires.

If it works so great for those that have it then great! Go with it.
I am just not into buying bridges from people off the street. Not trying to be the bad guy here but many of the statements posted are just too far fetched.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems as if people are contradicting each other... How can two people say it will do nothing to the car, when two other people say it helps the shift lag tremendously... The one thing i hate about my 06 AT is how long the lag shift is.. and im sure i am not alone in this.. so for 90% of the people who get these grounding kits to say it helps their shifting lag.. isnt that enough alone to show its a mod worth getting?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: impressions on SBD grounding wires