G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

impressions on SBD grounding wires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 01:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AceG35X
It seems as if people are contradicting each other... How can two people say it will do nothing to the car, when two other people say it helps the shift lag tremendously... The one thing i hate about my 06 AT is how long the lag shift is.. and im sure i am not alone in this.. so for 90% of the people who get these grounding kits to say it helps their shifting lag.. isnt that enough alone to show its a mod worth getting?
With that kind of logic I'm surprised there isn't a set already installed on your car.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll put in my two cents in as well. I bought the 10 piece grounding wire 2 years ago I think. Had them installed but it did nothing for me. It's still on my car and I wonder if I take them out now will I actually notice any difference (which I highly doubt).

Just a quick background. This is my first automatic and I came from owning only M/T cars for about 13 or 14 years before my G so I kinda know what "lagging" means. Lagging on the G's slushbox is similar to most of the automatic cars I've driven. Tried using manumatic but it lags just as bad. The only good thing about it is it holds the gear for you (assuming it doesn't downshift when your speed decreases). With that being said, I don't even use manumatic anymore because nothing, I repeat nothing can replace the conventional M/T (although those new DSG/SMG or whatever clutchless automatic/manuals) can shift faster, I just like having the extra pedal and I missed it by not having one on my G.

Ok, enough of my background. Not to offend anyone, but the people whom said the grounding gear improves/elminates/helps on lagging and all the other goodies...are you guys also M/T drivers? M/T, you shift, clutch out and it's instant power. Slushbox, you step on gas, then you wait till energizer bunny comes out before it shifts gear and then it surge out and pins you back. I am just afraid that some of the "grouding gear" drivers may not know how to drive stick so they "may" not know how it truely feels with NO LAG. Some may also based their wording from other people's words or butt dyno. I don't mean to offend anyone but it may be the case for "some".

Old 12-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
There seems to be too much heat and not enough light on this.

In my first life (I was an electrical engineer before I went to Med school) we were easily able to measure electromagnetic output decreases following proper or increased grounding. From my professional experience the grounding kit may only have the effect of reducing static electricity or electromagnetic waves that interfere with the sound system quality. The other improvements attributed to the kit may be the placebo effect, as stated earlier. The science behind the purported other improvements (better shifting, increased power, more stability in electrical system, etc.) is far too shakey to draw a conclusion.

Is it possible that the grounding kit may be the G's version of the Tornado fuel saver gas devices (and the hemi head on some engines) which millions bought... millions swore by... thousands of mechanics smilingly installed (b/c they too believed the marketing) because it made sense.... and in the end, after it was shown to be a useless add-on, millions continue to purchase?

Attached Images  

Last edited by Braintree; 12-26-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
WHAT!! The Tornado doesn't work!!!

j/k of course. I'm on the fence as well. I've never used one of these kits of course on a G, but i've added supplimental grounds on other vehicles i've owned and didn't notice a thing. That's why i was curuous as to why this is such a hyped up mod for G's. I also have an electrical background and from what I know, it shouldn't really do much if anything. Of course I've never installed a kit on a G so i don't know for sure what it does.

If it works, great. If it does't? Well it can't hurt. I'm just not a fan of the million wires criss-crossing my engine bay.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:11 AM
Im gonna go to my local 350x/G35 shop and ask the owner whether or not he beleives this kit works.. as well as if many people had this kit installed.. sounds like it does more good for an AT.. so maybe it is worthwhile.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5

j/k of course. I'm on the fence as well. I've never used one of these kits of course on a G, but i've added supplimental grounds on other vehicles i've owned and didn't notice a thing. That's why i was curuous as to why this is such a hyped up mod for G's. I also have an electrical background and from what I know, it shouldn't really do much if anything. Of course I've never installed a kit on a G so i don't know for sure what it does.

If it works, great. If it does't? Well it can't hurt. I'm just not a fan of the million wires criss-crossing my engine bay.
It's actually a hyped up mod for all japanese vehicles. They have been selling these things for many years and I've never seen any valid evidence as to their benefits.

Last edited by dmitriylm; 12-26-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5

Years ago, it was widely accepted that intakes like the Stillen CAI, Injen CAI, and JWT POP were better than the OEM intake and that the OEM intake was really restrictive. Same goes for underdrive pullies. Myself and few others went against the norm, questioned the validity of the gains, the supposed flaws of the OEM design, etc. We were met with a lot of anger simply because we questioned the masses. As the data (1/4 mile runs, dynos, data logs) came in, it turns out we were right. As time progressed, there was change in thinking on this site regarding these mods and others.

The point is if there are enough people that want to believe, it can become fact that the mod works even if there isn't isn't anything to support the claims. I've seen this in every forum I spend time on. Some claims are absolutely ridiculous and impossible. Over my years of modding, I've become pessimistic because I've bought into the claims a few too many times and wasted a lot of money. A lot of people aren't willing to post the negatives of a mod and will only point out the good things. This really ticks me off. If you're going to give a review, please be honest.

I'll get off my soap box now.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:02 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by dmitriylm
It's actually a hyped up mod for all japanese vehicles. They have been selling these things for many years and I've never seen any valid evidence as to their benefits.
True. When was the last time you saw a high end Japanese tuner or factory Japanese race car with grounding wires?

Old 12-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the only two things i really noticed was the manumatic shift mode shifts with ~.5 sec delay vs ~1+ sec delay and the AT shifting is much smoother, could "almost" past as CVT....i also replaced my battery at the same time, so was it a placebo effect?

what about the hyper sun auto grounding kit? that has its' own module to regulate the voltage....

Old 12-26-2008, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't say that all intakes did nothing. Newer vehicles have really efficient intake systems (like the G35 for instance) but many older vehicles and turbo cars like the WRX have proven dyno's showing improvements with aftermarket intake systems.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by dmitriylm

That's why I was scratching my head. I've been on the Domestic V8 side of things now for 10+ years. The most we ever did was add ONE supplimental engine ground from the engine block to the chassis as a backup. We never went as far as criss-crossing the engine bay like posted before.

I've been around some high dollor, high HP, EFI V8 engines and other than 1 single good engine ground, there was no supplimental grounding at all. I've never even heard of doing this until buying myself a G35 and coming here to learn all I can.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:59 PM
I could careless if my sound is louder in the car.. i could get some subs if i wanted louder music.. all i care about is getting rid of that lag between shifts... is there any solid proof out there that grounding wires WILL decrease lag, and is there any solid proof that it WONT help the lag between shifts. Thats what im trying to get at.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:27 PM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
well i can say that it reduced the lag a lot!! i cant really prove it to you because you are in NJ

Old 12-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
johnnyparkyourcar has sat in my car with me and he said that he could notice the reduced lag. thats all i can say. kmckis also has the same wires and he noticed the reduced lag too.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by AceG35X
I could careless if my sound is louder in the car.. i could get some subs if i wanted louder music.. all i care about is getting rid of that lag between shifts... is there any solid proof out there that grounding wires WILL decrease lag, and is there any solid proof that it WONT help the lag between shifts. Thats what im trying to get at.
There is no solid proof. The only proof you can go by is some people's personal belief that they noticed some kind of benefit. I haven't seen anything detailing the inadequacy of Nissan/Infiniti's factory grounding points nor have I seen a detailed explanation as to how a set of ground wires will accomplish all of these improvements (throttle response, shift duration, speaker volume, etc..). Just go with your gut and decide whether or not you feel this is a worth while purchase. Who knows, maybe you'll absolutely love them. I will not be buying a set.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: impressions on SBD grounding wires