G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

impressions on SBD grounding wires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 04:00 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I've seen alot of posts stating that they helped. I bougt a set and didn't notice much. But then again, there is NO help for us auto guys. No one makes kit to electronicly alter the shift logic.

I hear VB mods work but that's a phyical modification. Not a bad thing but just different.

There should be a way to electronically up the line pressure and shift speed w/o a VB mod.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by racefan318
So instead of doing an entire grounding kit... I should look for the absolute biggest gauge wire I can find to ground the battery to the chassis? Then I will get the percieved 'benifit' of the grounding kit?
pop your battery cover, and replace the negative cable ( which connects to the frame ) with a thicker gauge. I didn't pay much attention, but I think I saw a 80A fuse...so you could put an 8 AWG cable in place of stock and be fine. The other grounding points are in parallel, so, leave them be. Won't make a difference to change them.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by phrocker
pop your battery cover, and replace the negative cable ( which connects to the frame ) with a thicker gauge. I didn't pay much attention, but I think I saw a 80A fuse...so you could put an 8 AWG cable in place of stock and be fine. The other grounding points are in parallel, so, leave them be. Won't make a difference to change them.
Honestly, the ground wire was so damn short, I'm not sure changing it would even benefit at all. I don't know the total RMS of the system, so really the only thing I can say from a professional standpoint (without other knowledge) is that buying a grounding kit for about 20 times the cost of the wires is a little crazy.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:04 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I've seen alot of posts stating that they helped. I bougt a set and didn't notice much. But then again, there is NO help for us auto guys. No one makes kit to electronicly alter the shift logic.

I hear VB mods work but that's a phyical modification. Not a bad thing but just different.

There should be a way to electronically up the line pressure and shift speed w/o a VB mod.
I feel your pain, Young Jedi. Years ago, I had a $40 B&M shift-improver on my 94 Z28 A4. It took all of 15 minutes to install. The unit had four settings. Stock, firm, firmer, and holy-crap. In the holy-crap mod, it would obliterate the tires on the 1-2 shift and this was in car with a 2.73 gear with a 1-2 shift at 55mph. The firm setting was perfect for daily driving. The unit was simply a device that used a resistor to raise line pressure.

Now I totally understand that the Jatco 5AT is a more advanced tranny than the 4L60E in the Z28, but surely someone could sit down with the schematics of the Jatco 5AT and figure out how to raise line pressure and turn off that damn torque management nanny that dumbs down a high rpm manual 1-2 shift and retards power on a power-brake launch.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by DaveB
I feel your pain, Young Jedi. Years ago, I had a $40 B&M shift-improver on my 94 Z28 A4. It took all of 15 minutes to install. The unit had four settings. Stock, firm, firmer, and holy-crap. In the holy-crap mod, it would obliterate the tires on the 1-2 shift and this was in car with a 2.73 gear with a 1-2 shift at 55mph. The firm setting was perfect for daily driving. The unit was simply a device that used a resistor to raise line pressure.

Now I totally understand that the Jatco 5AT is a more advanced tranny than the 4L60E in the Z28, but surely someone could sit down with the schematics of the Jatco 5AT and figure out how to raise line pressure and turn off that damn torque management nanny that dumbs down a high rpm manual 1-2 shift and retards power on a power-brake launch.
the VB contains the solenoid, right? As I recall from my days with my Acura ( with a tranny meaner than any woman I've ever met ), if you resist current to the solenoid, you affect line pressure. I've heard getting to the solenoid is a pain...any of you opened up your VB?

Old 01-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by AceG35X
It seems as if people are contradicting each other... How can two people say it will do nothing to the car, when two other people say it helps the shift lag tremendously... The one thing i hate about my 06 AT is how long the lag shift is.. and im sure i am not alone in this.. so for 90% of the people who get these grounding kits to say it helps their shifting lag.. isnt that enough alone to show its a mod worth getting?
Hell, if you wanna improve your shift lag upgrade your damn pullies, this made a bigger diff in my 03 Auto when I had it than grounding wires ever would...n2m it wil actually improve your power some, and improve your upshift/downshifts with quicker revs :P

Old 01-02-2009, 01:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1^^

Ill keep this in mind after i get my exhaust and spacer.. any other factors we can mess around with to lower that annoying shift lag?

Old 01-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
Hell, if you wanna improve your shift lag upgrade your damn pullies, this made a bigger diff in my 03 Auto when I had it than grounding wires ever would...n2m it wil actually improve your power some, and improve your upshift/downshifts with quicker revs :P
Which pullies are we talking about?