Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
hmm time to delete the thread i guess. its become pointless

Old 04-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by twitch579
I hate this ****_ng dork *** website, you guys are probably the office ***it panzees that drive around in there Coupe G35's and think they have Lambos.

Ban me I could really give a ****. Im a my350Z member anyway and never usually surf this crap Canadian Chuck Chuck AYE AYE queer site. HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

Sedans are the Only fast g35's anyway!!!!
Welcome aboard twitch! Good to see someone with common sense in here!

Old 04-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the ECU tuned to be more conservative? To me that begs the question as to what market segment the sedans were offered to. We call it a sport sedan, but why would they 'detune' it if that was the case.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Its not detuned. Its just 200lbs heavier so it takes a second or two to get its *** in motion compared to a little 2 seater Z. I can't explain the RPM differences between the 2.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:22 PM
Its not detuned. Its just 200lbs heavier so it takes a second or two to get its *** in motion compared to a little 2 seater Z. I can't explain the RPM differences between the 2.
you keep comparing the sedan to the Z - where the majority of the thread is about sedan vs coupe... I think the post you are responding to is asking about ECU factory tune vs coupe - but it pertains to Z as well... and yes, there have been indications over the past several years of various dyno testing that sedan's ECUs are "detuned" (if you want to call it that)... as for "why", since they market it as a "sport sedan" - it's still a sedan and the vast majority of the buying public will not use it at a race track or even the type of spirited driving that more coupe owners would...

As for the sedan against a Z... I've beaten plenty of Zs. I've said it before, when I test drove the Z initially, it was the most fun to drive car I had ever driven... if it weren’t for the business needs I had at the time, I would have bought the Z. But that doesn’t mean the sedan can’t be made to compete with it

As for weight – my car weight out at 3380 fully loaded with all the normal crap in the trunk, all mats, with 19” wheels… forget about “manufactures” weight – this weight is close to what the majority of Zs would be running – probably less than a lot of them that got pig heavy wheels and bloated sound systems. I know it’s embarrassing to have your @ss handed to you when you line up next to a 4-door… I’ve talked with Z owners after I’ve smoked ‘em and they are usually perplexed.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:24 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
A couple ?s about tuning.

1. My shifts some times feel rough. Like, not like the tranny is going out or sotmhing, idk how to explain it. But would a tune smooth out my shifts? i am 5at.

2. What is the one to go for?

3. Will my car return to a stock ECU setting if i ever decide to remove all the parts and put it back to stock, or will it run like crap?

Keep in mind, i have an HR y-pipe, coupe midpipe, HKS axleback, Z tube, pop charger, and an MD 5/16 copper spacer.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
haha I did misuse the word "your", although I did spell it correctly. I should post my English papers here because you guys are better than Microsoft spell check any day.

BTW Janik, you never got your car tuned after all the exhaust work? I've heard after HR Pipes, HKS axle back, and your coupe middy you should def. get a tune. I'm not 100% sure on the shift smoothing out, but i do understand what you mean by it feels "sticky"

Old 04-06-2009, 09:32 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
How much do tunes normally cost and can i get it done at my local performance shop?

Old 04-06-2009, 10:02 PM
itunes.com $1.00 per tune.

The Sedans ECU is not De-tuned. Explain why then how you can flash a map from a Z right onto a Sedan and it works perfectly?!

Its the SAME exact powertrain with slight drivetrain modifications for the different lenths of the cars. Its all the same stuff, these arent hand built Lamborghinis, there mass produced Nissans. The differences in speeds comes from the weights of the cars and the ability to put the power down without mechanical and drivetrain loss.

The coupe being the longest and most heavy would naturally be the slowest.

Sedan VS Z is almost a Drivers race, the Z will have the slight edge in speed....barely.

Last edited by twitch579; 04-06-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I've got a lightweight 03 sedan. Last year while working at a Fed-Ex Freight facility, I put my G (fully loaded) on the scales. With me (180lbs), 1/2 tank of fuel, and about 60lbs of gear in the trunk, the car came in at 3650lbs or roughly 3,410lbs with a 1/2 tank of fuel. A Fed-Ex driver (200lbs) put his 04 Z Track with about 1/2 tank of fuel on the scale and it came in at 3420lbs. That means the Z weighed about 3,240lb. That's a 170lb difference. I don't where people get the idea that the Z is as heavy as the G sedan. I've seen it first had. It's not. It's significantly lighter. For whatever reason, Nissan's curb weight (that means ALL fluids and fuel) rating is slightly overestimated.

Go over to My350Z.com and you'll see that stock Z's are typically .2-.3 seconds and 2mph faster than the G sedan, tranny to tranny. There are a handful of stock VQ35DE Zs that have gone 13.6-13.7@102-103mph. Find me one stock 1st gen G sedan that's come close to that. I've beaten Zs at the strip, but I'm not fooling myself into thinking my car was faster. I know for a fact that if I was driving a Z, I would be quicker in it than my G.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:50 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
YO bro, the Z's are way faster bro! you wanna know why bro?! I got two words for you bro.

z-tube!!!!!!!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:54 PM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
oh add z springs to that

Originally Posted by G SEDAN
YO bro, the Z's are way faster bro! you wanna know why bro?! I got two words for you bro.

z-tube!!!!!!!

Old 04-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
I've got a lightweight 03 sedan. Last year while working at a Fed-Ex Freight facility, I put my G (fully loaded) on the scales. With me (180lbs), 1/2 tank of fuel, and about 60lbs of gear in the trunk, the car came in at 3650lbs or roughly 3,410lbs with a 1/2 tank of fuel. A Fed-Ex driver (200lbs) put his 04 Z Track with about 1/2 tank of fuel on the scale and it came in at 3420lbs. That means the Z weighed about 3,240lb. That's a 170lb difference. I don't where people get the idea that the Z is as heavy as the G sedan. I've seen it first had. It's not. It's significantly lighter. For whatever reason, Nissan's curb weight (that means ALL fluids and fuel) rating is slightly overestimated.
in support of this, while at a local strip last year my friend (with an '03 Z, 6spd) and i weighed our cars. with me in it (195lbs) and 1/2 tank i came in at exactly 3600lbs. my buddy (225lbs) in the Z and 1/4 tank weighed 3460lbs. that equates to 170lbs + ~30lbs for 1/4 tank = 200lbs difference in weight.

why are we talking about Z's again? i thought this thread was comparing G sedans to G coupes? now can we /thread?

Last edited by canucklehead; 04-07-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:05 AM

The Sedans ECU is not De-tuned. Explain why then how you can flash a map from a Z right onto a Sedan and it works perfectly?!

Its the SAME exact powertrain with slight drivetrain modifications for the different lenths of the cars. Its all the same stuff, these arent hand built Lamborghinis, there mass produced Nissans. The differences in speeds comes from the weights of the cars and the ability to put the power down without mechanical and drivetrain loss.

Sedan VS Z is almost a Drivers race, the Z will have the slight edge in speed....barely.
De-tuned might be a poor word choice on my part, but we were implying a conservative factory mapping. I can understand tuning with mods, but I've read in old threads that an orisis tune can in fact help a stock G, which implies that the stock mapping is conservative.

The previous answer is probably right. It's a sedan, so they wanted to shoot for all market segments.

====

As far as the lower weight, does this apply to 05/06 sedans? Any 05/06 hit the scales?

cars.com lists the 03/04 at 3369 and the 05 at like 3512...so clearly there was a weight gain. This could account for your lower weights. In addition, there is going to be a difference between mt/at

Old 04-07-2009, 01:21 PM

if you've seen as many Z, coupe and sedan dynos you'd realize there is something to the ECU... dyno has nothing to do with weight.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sedans are as fast as coupes. go and tune