G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Low fuel light-How far have you gone when its on?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 08:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low fuel light-How far have you gone when its on?

Maybe I'm adventurous or but I always like to see how far I can go when the low fuel light comes on then I reset my tripmeter to track my mileage. I have never run out of fuel in my G. It happened once in my Sentra, 40 feet from the pump as I was entering the Gasstation.

Well I really want to know how much fuel is left in the tank when the light comes on. Does anyone know. The farthest I have driven is 42.7 miles and that was city and highway.

Thanks

DKnibb -still loving my G!

Old 06-22-2004, 08:48 AM
Re: Low fuel light-How far have you gone when its on?

I've had the fuel light on twice and filled up shortly after. Both times it took just over 17 gals. Conservatively then I'm estimating 2.5 gals of fuel left, so 40 to 50 miles after the light should be just about right.

2004.5 AT Sedan DG Premium Sport

Old 06-22-2004, 08:49 AM

I remember reading some where there is 4 Gallons remaining when the light comes on.

2003.5~AT~S~Carribean Blue~Graphite Leather~Premium Pkg.~Winter Pkg.~Wood Trim~Xpel Clear Bra "You can't win if you don't play the game"

Old 06-22-2004, 09:02 AM

my fuel light came on when i had 40 miles left according to the navigation. then it went off. then came back on after a bit. so i'm guessing 40-50 miles and about 2-2.5 gallons left.

2003 G35 Sedan 5AT
{Z-Tube} {JWT_POP_Chrgr.} {V1} {21%_Tint} {Matte_Race_Pdls} {Blck_w/Grpht_Lthr} {Prm_Pkg.} {Sprt_Tuned} {Wntr-Sprt} {Nav.} {Xenon} {Sunroof} {Aero-Body_Kit_w/Spoiler} {Trunk_Mat}

Old 06-22-2004, 09:34 AM
Re: Low fuel light-How far have you gone when its

Yeah, when the light come one there actually about 4 gallon left. I drive long distance and I think I pretty much test out all the ranges. I did manage to drive about 10 miles when my Nav display indicating there is "Zero" mileage to go. I went to pump it up afterward and there are still 2 gallon left I believe. But I don't recommend anyone to try it, cause it'll put some damange to your engine, if you did ran out of gas.

~ GT-R the Ultimate Driving Machine ~
- 2004 G35 Ivory Pearl/Black Leather
- Auto/Nav/Premium/Sports/Aero
- 6 wire grounding kit

Old 06-22-2004, 09:47 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've gone 60 miles after the light came on. It then took about 20 gallons U.S. to fill!
Be careful.

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 06-22-2004, 10:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually don't fill up until I'm pretty close to dry... drives my wife nuts whenever we switch cars. When the light goes on in my sedan, it'll take 16.5 gallons... so 3.5 gallons @ 19mpg gives me a range of about 65 miles. The 20 gallon tank capacity is an accurate figure... many of us have tested it.

<font color=red>chinee</font color=red>
03.5 G35s

Old 06-22-2004, 10:25 PM

IMHO, I think you're better off not testing this out too much. I've heard it's bad mojo for the fuel pump when you're that close to empty. The thinking is that the fuel tank stays cooler with more gas in it, whereas an empty tank tends to run hotter, thus running the potential of burning out the fuel pump ($$$).

'98.5 Contour SVT, 123K miles and counting

Old 06-23-2004, 11:34 AM

jmcumming, I would rather head to gas station fuel pump than to the Infiniti parts dept. for a new fuel pump. Your advice is heeded.

Thanks

DKnibb

Old 06-23-2004, 12:03 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Running critically low is also not good for your fuel filter, since it clogs up with the dredges of your tank. This creates increased pressure on your fuel pump, and can shorten it's life cosiderably. So add the expense of replacing the fuel filter as well.

<font color=blue>[i]GroundingGear™ Equipped </font color=blue>

Old 06-23-2004, 12:24 PM
Premier Member

I have gone as far is 60 miles. (400 miles on that tank, mostly city driving at 22 mpg.) And the Fuel gauge was not moving anymore, in other words it was on the bottom resting. I put in 18.5 gallons. Since we have a 20 gallon tank, I still had 1.5 left.

Running low in gas is not a problem for the fuel pump or filter. Running out of gas is when the problem happens. No fuel to lube the pump, say bye bye.
2004 Infiniti G35S, 6MT, Premium, Sport, DP
Mods: JDM Clears, 20% tint, Z-tube, K&N Drop In
Track: 14.32 at 98.79 mph 2.2032 60ft <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by G35_TX on 06/23/04 09:27 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 06-24-2004, 12:31 AM

Once I forgot about the warning light and gambled at a stop light that there would be enough fuel left to make my destination about 15 freeway miles away. I gambled wrong. Ran out of gas with 417 miles of mixed city/hwy miles on the gas odometer.

I'm surprised there are a lot of posts warning about severe consequences from running out of gas. For me there were none, except of course, I ran out of gas and had to have ask a friend to bring me some fuel. I won't be making a habit of it - friends don't let friends drive dry - at least not often.

I've taken it to the warning light often and I would guess there's at least 3 gallons remaining when it first goes on.

04 G35X<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by calejohnson on 06/23/04 09:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 06-24-2004, 10:49 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuel temperature is electronically measured to correct for fuel density changes. The lower the fuel level the hotter the pump gets not cooled by being surrounded by gasoline [heat transfer to gasoline].

Running low fuel levels will serious affect the long term fuel pump life........if you plan on keeping car after warranty think about always refilling at the half [10 gallon point]........ 1/3 at minimum.

Old 06-24-2004, 11:45 AM

"Fuel temperature is electronically measured to correct for fuel density changes."

Got it, the car is constantly adjusting the amount of fuel to provide for a correct air/fuel mix. But we're not in the tank yet on this one.

"The lower the fuel level the hotter the pump gets not cooled by being surrounded by gasoline [heat transfer to gasoline]."

I get the logic but can only take it so far. Do you mean the pump could get really hot (ie stressed)? If so, wouldn't this pose a serious problem if, for say, it was surrounded by a flammable liquid like gasoline? And given how automobile manufacturers hate it when the cars they manufacture explode, killing the occupants, don't you think they might take this into consideration? If this were the case, I'd expect huge stickers posed everywhere in the car warning about running the car on too little fuel. There might be news reports nightly about so-and-so running out of gas on the local highway and the car exploding. No, I'm just not buying the overheated fuel pump argument.

I've got 3 years experience racing electric r/c trucks. Those motors get hot. I wouldn't want that kind of heat anywhere near gasoline. There's got to be a different kind of fuel pump design that keeps them cool. One that doesn't rely on gasoline.

As far as keeping 7-10 gallons of fuel in the car to achieve the longest life for the car, I say poppycock. I owned an excellent 1989 Acura Legend. Ran it from full tank to empty constantly and I got 10 years and 200,000 miles of trouble free performance from the engine before I sold it. My guess is it's still on the road. I don't think I'm the only person who drives their car like this - in fact, I bet I'm like most people. Did I get lucky - or did the fine engineers who design fuel pumps take my driving habits into consideration?

I don't and haven't advocated running out of gas. I just think it's okay to run it till low and then refill.

The exception to this is if you live in earthquake country. There you should consider keeping the tank at least 1/2 full because when the disaster strikes, you'll be able to power a radio, cell phone, lights, heater, etc. to get news, keep in touch with your loved ones, and stay comfortable.

04 G35X

Old 06-24-2004, 03:44 PM

I've taken my car to about 475 Miles on a single fill. It was roughly 67 miles after the light came on and it took me 19.1 gallons to fill up. Granted i drive mosly highway and consistently get at least 23 mpg.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Low fuel light-How far have you gone when its on?