G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Steering wheel vibrates when going over 65mph?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel vibrates when going over 65mph?

I am a proud new owner of a 2004 G35x w/navi and absolutely love the car. I've experienced only one problem so far, there is a shaking/vibration in the steering wheel when I'm on the highway going faster than 65mph. I'm taking the car back to the dealer on Thursday to get the tires balanced, and hoping this corrects the problem. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a problem with the car or with the tires that come on the AWD model?

Old 06-22-2004, 10:48 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Steering wheel vibrates when going over 65mph?

I have the AWD also, but it is not unusual to have it out of balance even new whether an AWD or not. The thing you have to watch for is the alignment issue. It is even more common for the new cars that are not aligned properly. After a couple of thousand miles, look for any uneven wear. If you see it, get the dealer to align it. Dealers will do it for the first time free when under 10K miles.

2004 G35X

Old 06-22-2004, 02:47 PM

o dont even get me started with this problem. i have had my g for about 3 months. still have this problem. at first, dealer balanced the tires, did nothing. did it again, ditto. then they replaced the tires with new ones. better but i still get vibrating right arounf 65-70mphs. they though the tires were flatspotted but the new ones do it too. not as much but it still happens. after replacing the tires, there really is nothing more the dealer can do so i will have to live with it. i am very disappointed on this issue. good luck
Brett

Old 06-22-2004, 02:58 PM

Thanks for the post. Ugh, I'm not looking forward to dealing with this. Do you know if the dealer replaced your tires with the same brand and model tires you had before? Could be something with the tires in general, not the car. Anyway, just a thought. I'll let you know how this turns out.

Old 06-22-2004, 03:39 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It has to be a tire/wheel/brake disk balance, or a wheel alignment issue.
Best way to balance each wheel is to leave it on the vehicle and do a dynamic balance. That way all rotating masses are balanced.

G/L and keep after them.

and Jgordonwin, if the dealer you went to can't fix yours properly then go to another dealer.
For someone who knows what they're doing, this shouldn't be hard to fix.

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 06-22-2004, 04:27 PM

Heck, I totally agree. This should not be rocket science when the front end shimmies. But again, quality of the mechanics for all makes these days are lousy. They are really parts replacers!!! They don't know how to fix anymore. They just change parts. The problem is that after they change the parts and its is still not fixed, they are perplexed!!! If they cannot diagnose with the computer they use, they are lost. Some of they don't even know how to align the wheels. That's why I don't take mine to dealer for alignment, I take it to my local shop.

Be persistent with them or take it to another dealer. Good luck!

2004 G35X

Old 06-22-2004, 10:38 PM

Pretty simple you read the frequency of vibration [usually multiple vibrations merging together] and plug it into rotational speed and circumference formula.......eureka you have the answer.

http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_.../Whats_New.htm

http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_...ion_School.htm

http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_..._Selection.htm

99% of the time it is tires or wheels assumming brake rotors are in runout spec at 60-70 mph.
Unfortunately proving it and solving it are two different things.

Do you have any locking lugnuts this weight difference [20 grams] is commonly overlooked source of severe balance problems.

Old 06-23-2004, 08:57 AM

The car is right of the lot, and the brakes are fine, so I'm pretty sure it is a tire issue. However, I do have wheel locks on the car? As you said, would that be enough to cause the problem? I'll try swapping the wheel locks for the stock luggs and see if that solves the problem...although I can't see how wheel locks would be such an issue.

Old 06-23-2004, 09:21 AM

Wheel locks weight 20 grams more, that's like placing a 8-10 gram extra weight on the rim.

Tires wheels must be set to minimum radial force variation [below 10 pounds], then balanced to within a gram or two of perfect!

Wheel locks are huge problem in precision systems!

You decide and mark on wheel where lock will go then weigh the difference and use a equal weight stick on weight at the appropriate lug hole when balancing.........try it with and without and read the error on the balance machine.

Probably not the source of total problem but 5 gram error [out of balance] is noticeable.

Tires take while to break in, why you rebalance every 500 miles till they stop changing significantly. Michelin tend to stablize faster than other brands.

Most don't want to pay for perfection even if they can find someone qualified to provide it!

Old 06-23-2004, 09:38 AM

I see your point, but I don't think wheel locks are causing the vibration I'm experiencing in this car. I am not necessarily looking for perfection, but when I pay $35k for a "near luxury" sports car and the steering wheel vibrates when I drive over 65mph there is a legitimate problem. My 2000 prelude with 51k miles, which has wheel locks - stock rims - and original tires, drives much better on the highway than my brand new G35.

Ive seen on other posts to stay away from the Bridgestone tires, which is what my car has, and be sure to get the Goodyears. Do you know of any issues with the Bridestones that come on the AWD models?

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

Old 06-23-2004, 10:36 AM

I have had wheel locks in most of my cars, at least 6 cars, including the current G. Never had a balance issue due to the locks. How do I know? Because after I put the locks on, the front end did not shimmy. Your problem, I think, is not the lock issue. Best way is to let the dealer handle it and be persistant with it.

2004 G35X

Old 06-23-2004, 10:43 AM

Thanks, kingoftheroad1. What brand of tires do you have on your x?

Old 06-23-2004, 01:17 PM

"after I put the locks on, the front end did not shimmy"
Never said it would shimmy just a minute vibration in the steering wheel going in and out of phase with tire rotation.
Different people have different levels of sensitivity to vibration.

I have a wonderful $7,000 electronic vibration meter which can measure down to 0.001G...........it will measure the human breath blown on it from a foot away from the sensor. Use this clamped to steering column.

Lexus LS430 owners demand perfection [the car is already so numb] that every quiver shows up to some.

Infiniti uses 14 pounds as an acceptable radial force measurements on a car like the G, 5 pounds should be the max.

Old 06-23-2004, 02:19 PM

i have the goodyear gs-d's since i have the sports package rear wheel drive. they did replace tires with same ones. i agree for a 35k vehicle it should not vibrate at that speed, i have the same issue. truth is. i used to have a nissan also and the nissan dealer by me is amazing. they said they can work on g35's. i'm going to take it to there when i get time. at first i though just needed some wear but with almost 2500 miles it enough of this damn vibration! i dunno if its the shop guys or the tires, i have a feeling its the tire itself, probably wont be getting these again. GOOD LUCK, hopefully you will have better results then me.
Brett

Old 06-23-2004, 04:29 PM

I have the Goodyear tires.

2004 G35X

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel vibrates when going over 65mph?